PDA

View Full Version : New World of Darkness Ruleset Rebuild

drahkar
February 25th, 2016, 03:03
So things are coming along nicely with the rebuild of the nWoD Ruleset. Currently I am focusing on migrating over the graphics as well as repairing the framedef based artifacting that was happening with many images here and there in the Ruleset.

At this point I would say I'm about 80% done on the graphics migration. I have also been changing some of the images around for things like the desktop icons. I never was fond of the original ones that we had in place. Once I finish with the graphics migration, I will be focusing on the migration of the Character sheets.

Here is a quick view into the rebuild:

Trenloe
February 25th, 2016, 03:52
Looking good! Are you layering this on top of CoreRPG or building it "inside" a specific version of CoreRPG?

drahkar
February 25th, 2016, 03:59
I'm forking it off of the most recent version of the CoreRPG Ruleset as of a couple weeks ago. The nWoD Ruleset has too many modifications to the character sheet source code to be able to run as an extension on top of CoreRPG. But at the same time, I wanted to get some of the updates that had been worked into the new Ruleset, so this seemed the best option. Especially considering there were some critical bugs in the existing Ruleset as of the newest FG Release. (It was built for Pre-2.9 FG)

Lucidator
February 26th, 2016, 01:21
Hopefully now we will see more WoD around. Thank you for doing this man

drahkar
February 26th, 2016, 02:43
Hopefully now we will see more WoD around. Thank you for doing this man

No problem! It was definitely time to update the poor thing. It had been a while since I gave it any love.

I figure I'll finish this and then look over how difficult it would be to adapt it back to the original WoD. Also I'll be rebranding the nWoD Rulset as Chronicles of Darkness to match the new branding that has resulted from Onyx Path Publishing purchasing the New World of Darkness IP from White Wolf.

Dr0W
February 26th, 2016, 02:53
Thanks a lot for this!

viresanimi
February 26th, 2016, 15:42
I have been dying to get a good NWoD ruleset. It is actually a quite versatile set of rules, which can be used for pretty much any setting and I can't wait to play with it.

Vires Animi

Luthbel
February 28th, 2016, 13:42
Thanks a lot Drakhar!
Iīm doing a complete graphic re-build on the original WoD ruleset, following a similar style to CoD, but suitable to any historic period, not just modern games. As soon as you have the new one, I will fit my new graphic changes to it (in fact, Iīll wait to continue working on it until you have a beta of the ruleset). Here I post a screen capture, itīs in spanish, but I will upgrade it to english too.

Szabtom
February 28th, 2016, 14:59
Luthbed and Drakhar, it is very nice to see you are working on WoD! Much appreciated!

drahkar
February 29th, 2016, 13:13
Thanks a lot Drakhar!
Iīm doing a complete graphic re-build on the original WoD ruleset, following a similar style to CoD, but suitable to any historic period, not just modern games. As soon as you have the new one, I will fit my new graphic changes to it (in fact, Iīll wait to continue working on it until you have a beta of the ruleset). Here I post a screen capture, itīs in spanish, but I will upgrade it to english too.

Luthbel, that graphics work looks fantastic! I'll admit my graphics skills are.... We'll call them lackluster at best. :) I just started a re-brand of the existing graphics for the CoD Branding. Most of that work is done at this point so I can start focusing on the code migration again. (The only item I have left is the logo on the desktop buttons.)

I would love to work with you on updating the graphics overall if you are interested. I had been considering creating theme extensions once the rebuild was done. Have system specific themes for people who want to have their themes match the system they are using.

drahkar
February 29th, 2016, 13:30
I will be posting updates and comments for this rebuild primary on the FGRepository site, but I will also be posting periodic updates to the CoD status update thread on the forums.

FGRepository Feed: https://fgrepository.com/category/rulesets/system/chronicles-of-darkness/
CoD Status Thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28597-Chronicles-of-Darkness-Status-Update-(Originally-nWoD)

Szabtom
February 29th, 2016, 13:46
Yep, careful, that screenshot can cause nerdgasm! :D

Luthbel
February 29th, 2016, 15:33
Sure! As soon as I can, Iīll start with some Chronicles of Darkness base interface stuff for the basic ruleset, Iīll see what I can do :)
My coding skills are just basic, I can modify some minor stuff to fit the graphics, but not much more.

Trenloe
February 29th, 2016, 16:52
I'm forking it off of the most recent version of the CoreRPG Ruleset as of a couple weeks ago. The nWoD Ruleset has too many modifications to the character sheet source code to be able to run as an extension on top of CoreRPG. But at the same time, I wanted to get some of the updates that had been worked into the new Ruleset, so this seemed the best option. Especially considering there were some critical bugs in the existing Ruleset as of the newest FG Release. (It was built for Pre-2.9 FG)
You don't have to completely work the character sheet etc. into the overall CoreRPG structure (just open the different character sheet windowclasse when the button is pressed). But I'd recommend trying to work it to run on top of CoreRPG (i.e. layer it on top of CoreRPG like 3.5e, 5e, etc.) - this will mean that you'll get the opportunity to take advantage of future, non-character sheet related, CoreRPG functionality - like updates to tables, languages, library features, etc., etc.. Fixing it on the CoreRPG release at one point in time means that you'll have the same issue in a couple of years - people want the latest/greatest FG features and will think the ruleset has fallen behind.

drahkar
February 29th, 2016, 18:17
You don't have to completely work the character sheet etc. into the overall CoreRPG structure (just open the different character sheet windowclasse when the button is pressed). But I'd recommend trying to work it to run on top of CoreRPG (i.e. layer it on top of CoreRPG like 3.5e, 5e, etc.) - this will mean that you'll get the opportunity to take advantage of future, non-character sheet related, CoreRPG functionality - like updates to tables, languages, library features, etc., etc.. Fixing it on the CoreRPG release at one point in time means that you'll have the same issue in a couple of years - people want the latest/greatest FG features and will think the ruleset has fallen behind.

That is a valid point. I'll investigate what they have implemented using 5e and see how it plays out. A lot of it will depend on how difficult it will make implement some of the functionality I am working on replicating.

pauljmendoza
March 1st, 2016, 19:22
So nice to hear this. Thank you guys!

Luthbel
March 4th, 2016, 01:13
Hereīre a couple of screen captures of the CoD graphic set current status. I will resume the Vampire the Requiem theme during today. Iīm quite happy with the final result.
I decided to make the windows a bit transparent to dont lose any of them when overlapping. The Vampire set will have a slight red tint in the overall interface (werewolf in brown-orange, mage in cyan, etc), and each game will have its own background as well

Luthbel
March 6th, 2016, 12:26
And a couple screenshots of the Vampire the Requiem extension. Same style with a different tone:

damned
March 6th, 2016, 13:08
I love the texture of these themes. Good job!

Luthbel
March 6th, 2016, 13:31
Thanks much! that was preciselly the intention: to add texture :)

viresanimi
March 6th, 2016, 14:42
I think that looks quite amazing. Well done!

Vires Animi

Luthbel
March 9th, 2016, 09:23
Thanks much Viresanimi!
Hereīs a screen capture of the Demon the Descent theme, a variation of the CofD one:
Regards!

mariic
March 18th, 2016, 05:24
Is it finished yet?

Luthbel
March 21st, 2016, 20:15
Mariic, itīstill in the works, but here I post a couple screenshots of the Werewolf and Changeling extensions (still working on both):
Regards!

viresanimi
March 22nd, 2016, 04:32
Any thoughts on how NPC sheets will work with this rebuild? In the old old days of looking at WoD rulesets, the NPC's are basically empty and you had to put in everything in manually and you couldn't make a template sheet you could duplicate. Which was the sole reason for me, saying: "Nope. Can't be bothered".

Personally I love the way Earthworm3 made his VtM ruleset and NPC's in that. Been using that ruleset for my storytelling fix, since he made that.

Anyhoo.. it looks smashing.

Vires Animi

pauljmendoza
March 22nd, 2016, 04:39
That's a good point, forgot that part of it with the NPC's.

Luthbel
March 26th, 2016, 00:09
Any thoughts on how NPC sheets will work with this rebuild? In the old old days of looking at WoD rulesets, the NPC's are basically empty and you had to put in everything in manually and you couldn't make a template sheet you could duplicate. Which was the sole reason for me, saying: "Nope. Can't be bothered".

Personally I love the way Earthworm3 made his VtM ruleset and NPC's in that. Been using that ruleset for my storytelling fix, since he made that.

Anyhoo.. it looks smashing.

Vires Animi

Iīve been playing with the NPC sheet of the V20 ruleset, it is really great, just the same as the PC one. I canīt give you an answer, I just know how to do graphics, but it would be cool to have an npc sheet like that :). I also loved the pege with the dice pools

viresanimi
March 26th, 2016, 01:58
he he he... yeah. I know how to play with pixels as well, but code. Might was well be Klingon!

drahkar
March 29th, 2016, 14:10
Hey Everyone!

Sorry I've been a bit MIA. My household all ended up coming down with a nasty illness one person after the other, including myself. This was followed up with a time crunch at work. Everyone is well once again and I'll be picking thing sup on Thursday when I once again get access to all my materials.

To the question about NPC sheets, I have been considering building out their sheets to match the character sheets. It never made sense to have such blank sheets for NPCs, especially since they often have more content/background associated to them. It sounds like this would be a feature that everyone would like to see come to pass?

viresanimi
March 29th, 2016, 18:23
To the question about MPC sheets, I have been considering building out their sheets to match the character sheets. It never made sense to have such blank sheets for NPCs, especially since they often have more content/background associated to them. It sounds like this would be a feature that everyone would like to see come to pass?

I would love to see good NPC sheets. To me, storytelling games are about interesting characters, and every tool I have as a GM to make good NPC's I will cherish. The reason why this matters more to me in storytelling games contra in D&D for instance, is the fact that NPC's in storytelling games reflect persons more than the combat stat bloc of a D&D character. You can have an important person in WoD which sucks at combat, but can do a lot of other things.

So yeah... would love good NPC implementation!

Vires Animi

pauljmendoza
March 29th, 2016, 19:32
This was pretty useful to us.

viresanimi
March 29th, 2016, 20:21
I personally found that amazingly useless. Why would I need to type in every single skill every time I had to make an npc? And since you couldn't copy npc's back in the day, you couldn't make a template npc with all the stuff in it you needed, so every NPC was a lot of work. Time that I wasn't willing to use.

Vires Animi

drahkar
April 12th, 2016, 13:57
I personally found that amazingly useless. Why would I need to type in every single skill every time I had to make an npc? And since you couldn't copy npc's back in the day, you couldn't make a template npc with all the stuff in it you needed, so every NPC was a lot of work. Time that I wasn't willing to use.

Vires Animi

How do you document what your NPCs can do without writing down their skills somewhere? I agree the ability to have templated NPC sheets for things like generalized trash mobs would be nice, but arguing something is useless because you don't want to fill in all of their skills doesn't make sense to me. What would you do instead?