PDA

View Full Version : New Layout

Patou
February 24th, 2016, 16:06
Wow! ... happened while I was online ... I reacted like ''OMG''.. wow.. what the hell did I press....'' Love it!!

JohnD
February 24th, 2016, 16:08
No kidding... looks nice.

Ellspeth
February 24th, 2016, 16:14
Same here I posted on a thread below you, it is sooooo much easier on the eyes, though some warning might have been nice, this community just gets better and better.

Mr.GummyBear
February 24th, 2016, 16:19
Nice new layout, very easy to keep track of the new posts to !! Web designer did a great job !

Daedalus
February 24th, 2016, 16:46
I like the main page, though I think the color scheme for the forums could be better.

What I love about the change, however is that it doesn't look like Fantasy Grounds is just for D&D. So many people came to the old site and thought that Fantasy Grounds was only about D&D. Maybe we can attract some non-D&D players (those role players who play more than just D&D) and those of us running other systems can get more players.

Black Hammer
February 24th, 2016, 16:49
Too sterile for my tastes. Daedalus is right, the old theme had a distinct fantasy feel, but at least it had a feel.

Trenloe
February 24th, 2016, 17:10
Anyone see where the "New posts" link has gone? I use(d) this all the time to get a list of the latest posts I haven't read. This will get you there, but a link as before would be nice: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

jshauber
February 24th, 2016, 17:12
I love the new home page, spells out the various license options so it should be easy for people to compare and figure out what they want.

Listing right in your face of licensed rules you can get with full support.

And I love the tag line "PREP LESS, PLAY MORE".

One thing I am wondering, you mention that FG has more licensed rule sets than any other VTT. I am not sure but you might have more licensed rule sets than all VTTs combined...just saying, might want to check that out and modify if true. Really makes the work you guys do with license partners stand out.

LordEntrails
February 24th, 2016, 17:12
Trenloe, not yet. Also I've noticed the background colors of posts don't yet seem to make sense to me. Though it was dependent onif I had read them, but not...

jshauber
February 24th, 2016, 17:20
If you click the FORUM entry at top of the forum main page, there is a drop down with NEW POSTS.

Is that what you are looking for?

Trenloe
February 24th, 2016, 17:24
I love the new home page, spells out the various license options so it should be easy for people to compare and figure out what they want.
Yeah, it looks good. But it's missing one key entry - 3.5E/Pathfinder support (with OGL content). I know it's not official, but this is something that is not even mentioned on the home page. It would be very easy for potential new customers wanting to play Pathfinder visiting the home page, see nothing at all mentioned, and move on never looking at FG again. There should be some mention of the Pathfinder and 3.5E included rulesets and libraries - 26% of games played on FG last year were with these two, tightly linked, rulesets.

Trenloe
February 24th, 2016, 17:24
If you click the FORUM entry at top of the forum main page, there is a drop down with NEW POSTS.

Is that what you are looking for?
Thanks, I'd just found it too. :)

Daedalus
February 24th, 2016, 17:26

I agree. And it goes back to what I said about showing people that Fantasy Grounds is not just about D&D, that you can use it to play other systems.

Daedalus
February 24th, 2016, 17:27
Too sterile for my tastes. Daedalus is right, the old theme had a distinct fantasy feel, but at least it had a feel.

I would like something that says "Role Playing Games" but doesn't lean in the direction of one system over another

kane280484
February 24th, 2016, 17:42
I like the new look, but as a color blind person I have some trouble in viewing some fonts, like those ones:

On some forums there's an option to customize colors, it's not here by any chance?

Black Hammer
February 24th, 2016, 17:57
I would like something that says "Role Playing Games" but doesn't lean in the direction of one system over another

Agreed, although aside from a giant banner that says "ROLL PLAYIN' GHERMS," I can't really come up with a visual scheme that conveys role playing. Dice or map grids, maybe.

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 18:16
Thanks for the feedback.

I replaced What's New with New Posts on the forum menu. Let me know if people really want both and I can try to squeeze that back on there. I just updated the Game Calendar as well.

Good points about the 3.5E/Pathfinder info. I was thinking about this earlier and it felt like there might be a need for a change there. For now, I edited the description on the last section.

darrenan
February 24th, 2016, 18:16
The "Top" button at the end of the page doesn't work for me.

darrenan
February 24th, 2016, 18:19
Thanks, I'd just found it too. :)

There's no drop-down for me, using Chrome. I see the text Forum with the down arrow, but clicking it always takes me back to the main forums page, and hovering over it nothing drops down.

Ellspeth
February 24th, 2016, 18:20
I love ther look but I could only log back in by going to the store and attempting a purchase, in fact none of the profile or login buttons are workingfor me. I know changes need time to sort the tweaks, just a heads up in case anyone else is having this problem.

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2016, 18:45
I think we could do with a darker blue (or just black) writing for the title text. It's readable enough against the white background but not so much against the brown one.

Oberoten
February 24th, 2016, 18:48
Hmmm... What can I say about the new look? ... how about unreadable 'direct from the box'. The old layout might have been just old, but it worked and was easy to read, the current pink horror makes my eyes bleed and creates an itch to leave.
- Obe

Daedalus
February 24th, 2016, 18:50
Agreed, although aside from a giant banner that says "ROLL PLAYIN' GHERMS," I can't really come up with a visual scheme that conveys role playing. Dice or map grids, maybe.

Yeah, I think something like dice or some kind of game related images would help convey that Fantasy Grounds is not just about D&D.

Nylanfs
February 24th, 2016, 19:03
Hmmm, the "Top" part of the quick navigation doesn't seem to work.

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 19:14
Hmmm... What can I say about the new look? ... how about unreadable 'direct from the box'. The old layout might have been just old, but it worked and was easy to read, the current pink horror makes my eyes bleed and creates an itch to leave.
- Obe

Are you referring to the forums or the rest of the site specifically? I just updated the forums so that you can choose the old layout. It was FG Quick2 and can be selected on the absolute of the lower left of the screen.

I was going for a more tan look and not pink; however, I notice that my two monitors render the color slightly differently. The Acer looks decidely more tan than the Dell monitor to me.

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 19:33
The Top function and the navigation dropdowns should now be working on http and https.

kane280484
February 24th, 2016, 20:02
Just realized that when I browse thread list, my brain tends to ignore the threads on the dark background, seeing only the lighter ones. I need to actually focus to see through threads, it might be only me but I don't like it.

xazil
February 24th, 2016, 20:03
Is just my iPad or from in a calendar I have to either back button or go via the forum to get the menu to get the calendar listing? The top navigation bar was useful.

Valarian
February 24th, 2016, 20:38
Can't see the text on the background where the items have transparency. I prefer the new leather background but the list items need a background colour. Can all list items have the same background instead of the alternating white/transparent.

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 20:40
Agreed about the transparent background rows. I'm trying to find the vbulletin setting that controls the alternate rows, but so far I'm not having any luck.

Valarian
February 24th, 2016, 21:01
Looks like it is threadbit_alt_background. Setting it to the same as threadbit_background?
https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/stylevars_threadbit

Daedalus
February 24th, 2016, 21:02
Good lord. The changed the layout again and it's making it even harder to read then it was before.

spite
February 24th, 2016, 21:36
Ok, so I like the color scheme, but for the love of god can we have some black edging on the white and blue text? It's eye-watering trying to read things like
https://puu.sh/nk90w/4fec7b6705.jpg
and things like
https://puu.sh/nk93M/77e70784dc.jpg

I know for some its not an issue, but I believe I am not alone in having problems and straining to read is not ideal

OTG_Wraith
February 24th, 2016, 21:51
Whew! I'm glad my development cycle isn't public. :D

damned
February 24th, 2016, 22:02
Hi guys - some feedback - looking better - with a few thoughts....

There are a few places where there are very light or non contrasting fonts on the leather background.

On the front page - I agree with Trenloe that Pathfinder in particular needs some prominence. Also Fate is a licensed ruleset.

Under Demo it says Demo with friends it should (IMO) read demo with a friend as the demo mode will only allow a single player connection.

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 22:03
Okay, I fixed the alternate row issues. For some reason, this new theme was ignoring the threadbit_alt_background and threadbit_background settings. I forced it through a style setting stuck inside the page header.

<style>
li.threadbit {background-color: white !important; }
div.navlinks>a { color: white; }
div#breadcrumb a { color: white; }
div#breadcrumb span { color: white; font-weight: bold }
div#pagetitle h1, div#pagetitle span { color: white; }
div#header p, div#header span { color: white; }
div.above_body {visibility: hidden; display: none; }
div.body_wrapper { background: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.6); }
</style>

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2016, 22:07
Right, as of the time of this post the clarity is now superb (IMO). Good work all round.

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 22:10
It's getting closer. What else needs tweaking?

Whew! I'm glad my development cycle isn't public. :D

LOL, we tried to set up a test server but for the life of us, we couldn't get vbulletin to cooperate and allow us to log into the admin panel. Pushing changes on a live production site is never ideal -- but that's what you get to do when you're a cowboy and you know the boss. :)

The rest of the site should mostly be responsive now and adjust more gracefully when you have a smaller resolution or when you view on your phone.

kylania
February 24th, 2016, 22:12
Wut...

Can we get a static menu bar back at the top please? Having to scroll up or even down to get back to the main page is a pain. (Which I guess is how it used to be anyway... bleh, too shockingly white to think)

Also everything feels much bigger (like I can only see two posts per page, browser size at 1330x950 or so, and a crapton of whitespace) but everything important (like things to click on, text, links, forum names) are painfully small.

Hmm, i guess the spacing isn't totally different, but the whiter background is absolutely hurting my eyes and the smaller text isn't helping. There's a lot more white space as well, made worse by the whiteness of it all.

Comparison: https://i.imgur.com/yWquI3h.jpg

damned
February 24th, 2016, 22:13
It's getting closer. What else needs tweaking?

More contrast on the Active Menu (top, top menu) item.
The bottom section of the page and the almost Top Right Thread Tools are still older colours / mixed styles.

Oberoten
February 24th, 2016, 22:28
Are you referring to the forums or the rest of the site specifically? I just updated the forums so that you can choose the old layout. It was FG Quick2 and can be selected on the absolute of the lower left of the screen.

I was going for a more tan look and not pink; however, I notice that my two monitors render the color slightly differently. The Acer looks decidely more tan than the Dell monitor to me.

Seems that it looks rather different on Firefox than on chrome where it didn't load the background images at all and instead gave me the website CSS showing alternating white and bright pink rows... SO very very glad that is not the intended end-result.
-Obe

gqwebb
February 24th, 2016, 23:08
Looking Good.. or should I say you look absolutely marvelous

https://mamamilkandme.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/snl-billy-crystal.jpg

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 23:18
Seems that it looks rather different on Firefox than on chrome where it didn't load the background images at all and instead gave me the website CSS showing alternating white and bright pink rows... SO very very glad that is not the intended end-result.
-Obe

Hey Obe, are you still seeing the pink rows in FF? If so, would you mind sending over a quick screenshot?

Oberoten
February 24th, 2016, 23:53
As of when I came home to a more steady connection it all looks pretty good. I will end up using the new layout.

.- Obe

gaara6666
February 24th, 2016, 23:56
this is looking glorious Dave and John. Got me more excited than a elder orb beholder getting free vision healthcare

ddavison
February 24th, 2016, 23:58
this is looking glorious Dave and John. Got me more excited than a elder orb beholder getting free vision healthcare

There is something funny about that quote just below the one from Oberoten -- since he has a beholder for an avatar.

Oberoten
February 25th, 2016, 00:54
There is something funny about that quote just below the one from Oberoten -- since he has a beholder for an avatar.

Worse. It is a fuzzy baby beholder. (If your parents are utterly evil you had better be too cute to kill on a whim. )

- Obe

gaara6666
February 25th, 2016, 00:58
almost like I planned that on purpose.... >_>

Ken L
February 25th, 2016, 01:07
Starting to look more modernized, I approve.

Andraax
February 25th, 2016, 01:08

So, change the skin you use. The old one is called "FG Quick 2".

Ken L
February 25th, 2016, 01:10
Wiki however looks to be missing assets.

Especially when you navigate from "other rulesets" from the main page.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

spite
February 25th, 2016, 01:22
Ok this looks great now! Leave it with you guys for two hours and its amazing!

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 02:43
One thing I miss is seeing (easily) who the new poster is (ie their avatar) and the first X number of characters of an individual's post in the New Posts lists - the current layout means I've got to scan back and forth to see who the poster is/was and because I don't have a preview of what they've said I don't know if its worth reading their post or waiting for someone else's reply to the same thread and then reading them all together.

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 02:46
And also I've got to now click on the Forum button to pull down the menu and then click on the New Posts Entry (2-Clicks and a Mouse Move) - in the past I could simply click the Browser's Refresh button and get all the new posts that way (a single Click).

But I do like the new colour scheme and layout (apart from those "niggles") :)

Talley Darkstar
February 25th, 2016, 02:50
It looks good though. Sure maybe some minor tweaks might be needed, but, all in all, it looks good.

Mask_of_winter
February 25th, 2016, 02:52
And also I've got to now click on the Forum button to pull down the menu and then click on the New Posts Entry (2-Clicks and a Mouse Move) - in the past I could simply click the Browser's Refresh button and get all the new posts that way (a single Click).

But I do like the new colour scheme and layout (apart from those "niggles") :)

Maybe because we're using different browsers but to me "New Posts" is to the left of Forums up on top.

Ellspeth
February 25th, 2016, 03:03
Overall I like it, I have very poor vision and this is much easier on the eyes. And I do believe AC\DC wrote a song in honour of guys like those who did a public rollout of a total site overhaul. I hope that doesn't give my age away.

IrishBouzouki
February 25th, 2016, 03:05
The calendar pages can't be set back to FG Quick 2. And there is functionality that was removed from the calendar pages as part of this change.
For instance when you click to go from the main calendar to a game calendar, you used to be able to access the top menu to click game calendar and go back to the top calendar. So if you did edits or something and didn't want to just hit the back key n number of times you could do it. Now... that top menu is changed quite a bit and the entry for game calendar is either gone or obfuscated. So no obvious one-click way to get back to the top level.
???

ddavison
February 25th, 2016, 03:28
Wiki however looks to be missing assets.

Especially when you navigate from "other rulesets" from the main page.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Thanks. Fixed.

ddavison
February 25th, 2016, 03:37
The calendar pages can't be set back to FG Quick 2. And there is functionality that was removed from the calendar pages as part of this change.
For instance when you click to go from the main calendar to a game calendar, you used to be able to access the top menu to click game calendar and go back to the top calendar. So if you did edits or something and didn't want to just hit the back key n number of times you could do it. Now... that top menu is changed quite a bit and the entry for game calendar is either gone or obfuscated. So no obvious one-click way to get back to the top level.
???

I'm not sure if you saw this, but clicking anywhere on the row opens the section with more detail. Some columns get hidden on a smaller display but reveal on a larger display.

New Change - the campaign name was a hyperlink, so clicking on that part might accidentally take you directly to the detail page *and* open the more details section. I removed the hyperlink so that can't happen anymore.

For the Game Calendar, you can access it via Help > Game Calendar on the top menu bar.

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 03:46
Maybe because we're using different browsers but to me "New Posts" is to the left of Forums up on top.

Didn't see that - I stand corrected - thanks Mask :)

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 03:48
And I do believe AC\DC wrote a song in honour of guys like those who did a public rollout of a total site overhaul. I hope that doesn't give my age away.

No, but it does say you've go excellent taste in music! :D

ddavison
February 25th, 2016, 03:49
No, but it does say you've go excellent taste in music! :D

Indeed. And *ours* are the biggest of them all. :)

ddavison
February 25th, 2016, 03:51
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/9689481.jpg

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 04:24

I don't get it :confused:

Ellspeth
February 25th, 2016, 04:36

Someone should really create such an award, you would be the 2016 winner I have no doubt.

IrishBouzouki
February 25th, 2016, 04:46
but clicking anywhere on the row opens the section with more detail. Some columns get hidden on a smaller display but reveal on a larger display.2560 x 1600 x 32 colors x 60 Hz and I do not see anything change clicking on the top bar, there are menu options there but they are always there?

For the Game Calendar, you can access it via Help > Game Calendar on the top menu bar.Well, IMO the most likely thing "a user" (at least this user) wants to do from a particular game ie go back to the top calendar screen, now he has to open a non-obvious menu ("Help" to go back up in the heirarchy?) to do that instead a direct click. I don't like it. But at least I know where it is now, until I forget again.

damned
February 25th, 2016, 07:19
I don't get it :confused:

Im guessing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg

PopinFRESH
February 25th, 2016, 08:11
Bravo Doug et al!

It's not quite the crazy shoot for the moon razors edge three.js thing... but WOW! Talk about making moves, it's 1000x more modern and looks fantastic. I'm really impressed at how quick that was turned around and rolled out! Speaking of roll out.. doing that on a production environment Ó_ō

Solid brass. Keep up the great work guys!

-PopinFRESH

PopinFRESH
February 25th, 2016, 08:33
2560 x 1600 x 32 colors x 60 Hz and I do not see anything change clicking on the top bar, there are menu options there but they are always there?
Well, IMO the most likely thing "a user" (at least this user) wants to do from a particular game ie go back to the top calendar screen, now he has to open a non-obvious menu ("Help" to go back up in the heirarchy?) to do that instead a direct click. I don't like it. But at least I know where it is now, until I forget again.

Regarding the Game Calendar there are a couple things that probably wouldn't be too burdensome to implement. On the template that is used for the campaign details adding a button on the top left that would return to the main Game Calendar page would be nice (bonus points if you retain where the user was previously, e.g. click on a campaign to "dive in" to the details then click a "back" button to return to where you were at on the list of campaigns). This would resolve what IrishBouzouki is talking about I believe?

Secondly, it may be useful to also float the Games Calendar header so the list of campaigns scroll under it like in this mockup.

Regards,
-PopinFRESH

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 08:45
Im guessing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg

Ohhhhh - well, that makes sense :)

Zacchaeus
February 25th, 2016, 08:53
One odd thing, when you go to new posts it lists them fine but it doesn't say in which forum the post has been made like what it used to. In other words the column in the right hand side that used to be there is no longer there.

PopinFRESH
February 25th, 2016, 09:46
Also on the Game Calendar page the header could also be cleaned up a bit to reduce the amount of white space and vertical real-estate it takes up. Here is a modified mockup of the floating header with the header layout changed.

The "Your Campaigns", "Campaigns You are Playing in", and "Sessions Waiting for Your Vote" would be moved down inline and styled as the rest of the buttons. These would simply function as quick filters to filter the list below rather than being their own lists.

Regards,
-PopinFRESH

Ken L
February 25th, 2016, 10:00

If I did that, I'd have destroyed several Mercedes worth of circuit boards :)

ddavison
February 25th, 2016, 14:07
2560 x 1600 x 32 colors x 60 Hz and I do not see anything change clicking on the top bar, there are menu options there but they are always there?
Well, IMO the most likely thing "a user" (at least this user) wants to do from a particular game ie go back to the top calendar screen, now he has to open a non-obvious menu ("Help" to go back up in the heirarchy?) to do that instead a direct click. I don't like it. But at least I know where it is now, until I forget again.

The comment about clicking on the row is meant for clicking on the campaign rows to open up more info.

ddavison
February 25th, 2016, 14:13
Bravo Doug et al!

It's not quite the crazy shoot for the moon razors edge three.js thing... but WOW! Talk about making moves, it's 1000x more modern and looks fantastic. I'm really impressed at how quick that was turned around and rolled out! Speaking of roll out.. doing that on a production environment Ó_ō

Solid brass. Keep up the great work guys!

-PopinFRESH

Well, to be fair it was a hybrid approach. It was about 3 weeks of development and testing on a development server, with about a week or so banging my head against the wall trying to get the forums fully moved over to the test environment. As it was, we had pretty much everything but the forums and the game calendar ready to go but had to do all the forum changes on the live server.

ddavison
February 25th, 2016, 15:03

I added a button to take you back. Unfortunately, it doesn't remember your "place" on the page or what you had selected for the filters. If you want those to be remembered, then the browser back button is the method I would recommend.

Daedalus
February 25th, 2016, 16:31
Ok, love the new theme. And one of the nice improvements is when you on the calendar and looking at an entry the return to main calendar is easier to see and not hidden like it was before the revamp.

Bravo!

Nylanfs
February 25th, 2016, 16:56
I'm getting some odd views when looking at it on my phone using FF, Like Dulux's posts have the contact via skype and that is running into his post, could this be simply replaced with a skype logo?

Patou
February 25th, 2016, 17:07
With the coming of all these VTT's (Skirmish, Roll20, etc) coming and racing for the best I think that seeing some change as cool as this new layout is keeping the spark up and letting us the fans of FG see that change is coming and FG is on the ball! Just makes people like me more excited to see wht's coming up next!

Keep it up:)

PopinFRESH
February 25th, 2016, 17:33
I'm getting some odd views when looking at it on my phone using FF, Like Dulux's posts have the contact via skype and that is running into his post, could this be simply replaced with a skype logo?

I think that is actually supposed to be the Skype logo, and the logo is not loading because the address isn't resolving so it is just showing the hover text as default. It's like that on the desktop version as well (shows up as a ? box). Also this is not a FF issue either, it's like that on Mobile Safari, Safari, Chrome, and Edge.

Regards,
-PopinFRESH

Edit: It looks like it's an issue with the "mystatus" sub-domain, it doesn't appear to have an A record set for it.

CryAxe
February 25th, 2016, 18:16
The new layout looks good. I like the background. It looks like the same texture as the ToC extension, but a different color. Nice choice.

It would be nice to have this background as an option in CoreRPG, with the ability to select the color. ;)
I really like it. It's a nice neutral background that looks like an elegant tabletop material.

Szabtom
February 25th, 2016, 21:06
Very nice, I like the main page!

Victor
February 25th, 2016, 23:44
The new layout has a lot of positives, and seems to work fine here in the fourms, but when on the Calendar, or a non forum FG page, the Header expands with zoom and stays at the top of the page, making the scrollable text below it appear in a thin bar, making it very difficult for the visually impaired. In the forums it can be turned off, I dont see that option for the Calendar.

ddavison
February 26th, 2016, 04:15
The new layout has a lot of positives, and seems to work fine here in the fourms, but when on the Calendar, or a non forum FG page, the Header expands with zoom and stays at the top of the page, making the scrollable text below it appear in a thin bar, making it very difficult for the visually impaired. In the forums it can be turned off, I dont see that option for the Calendar.

I'm not really sure how to solve that particular issue. I imagine some people might also want to zoom in the navigation bar at the same time. What zoom level do you typically use?

Victor
February 26th, 2016, 05:42
I'm not really sure how to solve that particular issue. I imagine some people might also want to zoom in the navigation bar at the same time. What zoom level do you typically use?

Thanks for the reply.
300-400% usually, which is at least doable. At 500% the header goes full screen. :)

Gadreun
February 26th, 2016, 10:48
Someone said sterile, personally, i think professional. I like it.

Ellspeth
February 26th, 2016, 11:48
I like it, clean, crisp, easy on the eyes. And as ballsy as it was to rollout while many of us were actively using the forums, it also gave the community the chance to offer feedback before it was set in stone, and I can't speak for others, makes us feel like our opinions and thoughts are truly valued by forum moderators and by Smiteworks. That alone is worth more than many know, and I say well done.

damned
February 27th, 2016, 01:05
I like it, clean, crisp, easy on the eyes. And as ballsy as it was to rollout while many of us were actively using the forums, it also gave the community the chance to offer feedback before it was set in stone, and I can't speak for others, makes us feel like our opinions and thoughts are truly valued by forum moderators and by Smiteworks. That alone is worth more than many know, and I say well done.

opinions is something this community has plenty of!
luckily this a gaming forum :)

Ken L
February 27th, 2016, 05:08
Are the mini-thumbnails on updated posts of the last poster to a topic supposed to be incorrect?

ddavison
February 27th, 2016, 05:24
I'm not sure I follow. Screenshot showing what you mean? I might not be looking at the same thing.

Batman13
February 27th, 2016, 07:28
Someone said sterile, personally, i think professional. I like it.

I agree. The website looks like it was made in this decade. I bet Carl had a lot to do with the professional look. The previous website looked like a high school, web design project. This site appears to belong to a company that I would actually give money to for a service. Now, all it needs is credit card support, becasue only using Paypal appears shady to many on the internet.

ddavison
February 27th, 2016, 14:13
I agree. The website looks like it was made in this decade. I bet Carl had a lot to do with the professional look. The previous website looked like a high school, web design project. This site appears to belong to a company that I would actually give money to for a service. Now, all it needs is credit card support, becasue only using Paypal appears shady to many on the internet.

Thanks for the feedback.

As we mentioned, it was long overdue. With a small team, it's often hard to pull time off of other valid projects in order to tackle things which are not great but are still functional. There are also a bunch of carried-over functions and hooks in the website that still need to be supported, so it wasn't as simple as just hiring someone to bang something out. For that reason, I worked up a prototype a few weeks ago and then ran it by John and Carl, who provided great input into the design. Work has kept John and Carl super busy on the Unity port and support for the new FG features in 3.1.6 (and 3.1.7), so the website mostly fell to me. Website layout has come a long way since I last did any of it and there are now things like Google's material design (Carl's favorite) and Twitter's bootstrap (which I used) to lay out the site. The forum was another major part of the website and I lucked into finding a theme that we could apply that broke it out of the table based layout and put it into a responsive design.

For Paypal, we are not likely to change that component anytime soon.

Ken L
February 27th, 2016, 23:09
I'm not sure I follow. Screenshot showing what you mean? I might not be looking at the same thing.

Sure:
https://i.imgur.com/Adz8zeZ.png

You can see that your 'avatar' thumbnail is different not only just for yourself but for others as well such as Damned etc..

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2016, 02:53
For Paypal, we are not likely to change that component anytime soon.

Doug, I haven't looked into it from the business side, but I've encountered it with a lot of small businesses lately, Square (from AMEX?) may be a low cost option for supporting credit cards. Something to consider for some point in the future.

ddavison
February 28th, 2016, 02:59
You can see that your 'avatar' thumbnail is different not only just for yourself but for others as well such as Damned etc..

That is definitely weird, and not what I see on my phone or local system. Is anyone else seeing that too? If so, what browser are you using? Do you have any 3rd party add-ons running within your browser to help cache data?

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2016, 03:11
This is what I see (Chrome 48.0, Win 7 pro, no-add ons);

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2016, 03:13
Looks the same with IE 11.0.15. No add-ons.

ddavison
February 28th, 2016, 03:22
Looks the same with IE 11.0.15. No add-ons.

I think those are all correct as far as I can tell. I'm definitely not seeing the wrong avatar attached to people.

dulux-oz
February 28th, 2016, 03:44
On a related note: any chance of getting the Avatars to display on the New Posts listing?

Ken L
February 28th, 2016, 06:08
That is definitely weird, and not what I see on my phone or local system. Is anyone else seeing that too? If so, what browser are you using? Do you have any 3rd party add-ons running within your browser to help cache data?

chromebook latest chrome.

addblock, pinterest.

damned
February 28th, 2016, 06:14
Doug - the Avatars are wrong on views like https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/index.php and https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?68-5E.
Some are correct but I suspect that is luck...

ddavison
February 28th, 2016, 23:16
Weird. The first link shows up fine for me. The second link has some mixed up.

damned
February 29th, 2016, 00:19
I think when it shows up correctly it is luck... like maybe the first poster is also the last poster?

ddavison
February 29th, 2016, 01:00
Yep, it looks like it is showing the image from the first poster instead of the image from the last poster, which is where it pulls the name and profile link. I shot a note to the theme company to see if they know where the change needs to be made.

Nylanfs
February 29th, 2016, 01:50
This isnt a big deal either, but i can't zoom in on my android phone. I'd do that so I can make sure to hit the "newest post".

LordEntrails
February 29th, 2016, 02:00
I don't have trouble zooming, HTC One M8 using Firefox browser.

LordEntrails
February 29th, 2016, 02:03
Checked the built in browser too, it works. Android 5.0.2

Nylanfs
February 29th, 2016, 13:13
Hmm, interesting using my Galaxy S5 I can't zoom in neither in FF or the builtin browser.

darrenan
March 3rd, 2017, 06:54
Was FG Quick 2 removed as an option? It's not showing up for me in the drop down any longer. If you did remove entirely for some reason...I'm sad.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2017, 11:53
Was FG Quick 2 removed as an option? It's not showing up for me in the drop down any longer. If you did remove entirely for some reason...I'm sad.

+1 to this

seycyrus
March 3rd, 2017, 13:08
+1 to this

I used that style as well.

ddavison
March 3rd, 2017, 13:29
Okay, I added it back.

We were getting reports of people automatically switching over off of the main style and then being confused. If people still use that one, I can leave it enabled and selectable.

Mask_of_winter
March 3rd, 2017, 13:30
Same here. I could tell from which forum category each new post was from and access the "mark forums read" button much faster.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2017, 14:40
Okay, I added it back.

We were getting reports of people automatically switching over off of the main style and then being confused. If people still use that one, I can leave it enabled and selectable.

Much appreciated :)

LordEntrails
March 3rd, 2017, 18:35
Now I'm going to have to go play with them to see what they look like. (I ***-u-me-d they were just different color schemes!)

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2017, 22:29
Basically they are but the FG quick2 one lists new posts along with the forum name of the post - which I find useful.

spite
March 3rd, 2017, 22:46
I dont know if its related, but this site hasn't been saving me as logged in at all. Every time I navigate here I need to log in. Tried clearing cookies and hitting remember me again, no joy.