PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on specs / Tools / etc for FG development (community or otherwise)?

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 17:05
Hey folks, as part of learning the Par5e tool (Extraordinaire), I am going through open sources like "Mulmaster Bonds" and my purchased FG modules like Tyranny to get "extras" to the PHB/DMG to include in single "Campaign" (RPG meaning, not FG) module (FG meaning, not AD&D lol) to open along with core models in my Campaigns (FG + RPG, lol ... Ok, I'm carrying this word-play oo far)

I will have to look at what tools exist for "auto-parsing" or preparing of sort to Par5e. In addition, I'd like to know what, if any, resources are available listing file/XML formats are used by FG that would normally be written when inputting new data the old fashion way.

------------ some background on me since I am new

My hope is to use FG development as an impetus to try to work with Swift on Linux since I can't really use it easily in iOS for FG (yet? Lol?). Of course the drawback is lack of GUI limbs with Swift.

I also was always interested in C# and book-learned it back sometime before 3.0. But not having a pet project, I didn't truly grok it and lost most of my memory of it. Java is an obvious choice, my company seems to be fully Java except for my team which they bought from another exchange. Thing is, I'd rather learn a newer up comer like Swift than something where I'd be far behind the best practices curve. I'm used to being a C++ expert, so it's really more of a combo of irrational desire to avoid mega catchup + feeling that a newer language had learned from C++ and Java would start more idiomatically elegant as seems proven out by most newer languages I look at.

Work and little boy limit my coding to late nights but as Alex grows older, he needs me less for nighttime regimes so I get to squeak a little more in each year. I hope to pass on to him all my D&D gear and future tools if I successfully get him hooks. Next month running a restricted themes ;) game with him and Mom and friend after his 9th Bday :). Looking forward to it. Talked about doing this one day with my old Decade+ AD&D group (of course, I thought I'd be starting sooner in late 20s with one of my players to whom I was engaged lol... Ironically (or not) we played for another nearly 2 years after the breakup... To be fair we were friends 2y before seeing each other and we're together 6 years...plus both of us were AD&D junkies with same mutual friends)

I have a MacBook, so n theory, may cheat with Swift + Cocoa even though it's one Mac to my 3.5 Windows boss and 1.5 Linux... ;)

Varsuuk, aka: Ramblin' Dan

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2016, 17:53
There's a page here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides) on the Wiki which has all sorts of techie kind of stuff on it. Which may or may not be any use to you.

Outside of par5e there's nothing much in the way of development tools that I'm aware of.

Nylanfs
February 23rd, 2016, 18:07
Has anyone setup syntax files for xml editing? At pcgen we have several in the dev tool resources.

Speaking of which Varsuuk, we are always looking for programers. :-)

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 21:37
Great that wiki was exactly what I was looking for.
Gong to continue the excellent Xorn tutorial tonight then start looking at the xml references and at least familiarization with Lua in coming weeks.

Printing the first couple docs for illicit reading during compiles at work...muhaha

damned
February 24th, 2016, 00:36
Varsuuk, aka: Ramblin' Dan ;)

Welcome Dan!

gqwebb
March 1st, 2016, 05:08
I just bought everything it was so easy to convert :P But converting some of my pdfs from www.drivethrurpg.com to 5E is on the list. I may just cut and paste as I go. Since the mods are 1e or 2e. Monster and cr rating will be adjusted as I go. Glad to see you on board.

Nylanfs
March 1st, 2016, 12:49
You will run into weird PDF errors do watch for double spaces, "i" vs "l" etc.