PDA

View Full Version : Question about what else I need to purchase.

Nanonite98
February 23rd, 2016, 06:15
So me and some of my friends are starting up a 5th edition campaign of HotDQ. I already subscribed to the Ultimate License and purchased the HotDQ module. I just don't see the monster manual or PHB under modules when I go into the program.

Do I also need to buy the 5e PHB and Monster Manual? Are these not covered by the Ultimate License? Just wanted to get this cleared up. Thanks.

Valarian
February 23rd, 2016, 06:46
You get the SRD modules included, but not the full text. The SRD modules contain stats. The full PHB or MM modules are basically the rulebooks in Fantasy Grounds form.

damned
February 23rd, 2016, 09:47
All licenses come with the D&D5E Basic Rules (pretty comprehensive for 4 classes and 4 races) and the D&D5E SRD which contains a lot of info but not all the info from the PHB/MM/DMG. The full products are officially licensed products and are sold separately as the Complete Core Classes, Core Monsters and the Complete Dungeon Master's Guide.

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2016, 10:43
Do I also need to buy the 5e PHB and Monster Manual?

You don't need them but they sure make life a whole lot easier especially for character creation. You'll find the SRD fairly limiting and the basic rules even more so. I'd certainly prioritize the PHB over the MM especially if you are going to be running an official module like HotDQ since all the monsters are already included in that.

Oh, and a warm welcome to FG and to the community.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2016, 03:50
Do I also need to buy the 5e PHB and Monster Manual? Are these not covered by the Ultimate License? Just wanted to get this cleared up. Thanks.
I don't think this was fully answered. The Ultimate License allows you to host any number of players who don't have a license themselves - that is the only difference from the Standard license. You still need to purchase any products outside of the 5E basic rules and SRD that come with Fantasy Grounds - this includes the MM, PHB, etc..