PDA

View Full Version : 3.1.6 Automatic Spell lookup for Spellcaster NPCs

ddavison
February 23rd, 2016, 05:59
I just posted a new video of this feature added by our very own Moon Wizard in the most recent release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uOdhB2GDoU

kylania
February 23rd, 2016, 06:19
Great feature, thanks!!

Here's the example blocks for copy/pasting.

Spellcasting

Spellcasting ability is intelligence (spell save DC 14, +5 to hit with spell attacks).
Cantrips (at will): fire bolt, acid splash, poison spray
1st level: burning hands, magic missile
2nd level: darkness
3rd level: lightning bolt

Innate Spellcasting

Spellcasting ability is intelligence (spell save DC 14, +5 to hit with spell attacks).
At will: fire bolt, poison spray
3/day: magic missile
2/day: darkness
1/day: fireball

kane280484
February 23rd, 2016, 06:25
I was eager to see a feature like this, nice. And that's a cool piece of fireplace BTW.

spite
February 23rd, 2016, 07:09
Has anyone else noticed it keeps saying failed to load module. even though every spell works fine and loads fine? quite a bit of chat spam gets in the way if you use the chatbox regularly

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2016, 08:59
Has anyone else noticed it keeps saying failed to load module. even though every spell works fine and loads fine? quite a bit of chat spam gets in the way if you use the chatbox regularly

It should only say that if you don't have a source open such as the PHB or SRD I believe.

kylania
February 23rd, 2016, 13:51
Is there a way to get it to reparse? I spelled it as Captrips instead of Cantrips and while it found all the other spells, it's missing the cantrips.

ddavison
February 23rd, 2016, 14:07
Kylania, you can delete out the spells from that section, close the record and then re-open and it will reparse. It will basically reparse and lookup spells whenever there is an entry in Innate Spellcasting or Spellcasting and there are no spells under the matching location.

Regarding the error message, I will ask John to look over it and see if I missed a step that might be causing that. If so, one of us will post here and annotate the video with instructions on how to prevent that from happening.

ddavison
February 23rd, 2016, 14:10
I was eager to see a feature like this, nice. And that's a cool piece of fireplace BTW.

Thanks. I was hoping it would open up and lead me down to a batcave full of super computers and high-tech toys, but alas, it's nothing but soot.

I have to keep the camera up high so you don't see the room full of my kids' toys and legos. :)

jshauber
February 23rd, 2016, 14:55
Very Nice!!!

kylania
February 23rd, 2016, 15:09
Clearing spells and reopening worked great, thanks!

gqwebb
February 23rd, 2016, 15:28
So a spell of spelling should be used first to use spells.

Moon Wizard
February 23rd, 2016, 18:24
The error message appears if there is at least one spell in the spellcasting trait that fails to be looked up, usually because it is not available in the modules, or misspelled. Any successfully looked up spells will still be added.

So, the error message is just stating that at least one spell failed. In the example Kylania posted above, it will give the error when using the SRD spell data, since the lookup will fail on fire bolt and poison spray.

In 3.1.7, I'm adding detail to the failure message output to denote which spell lookups failed.

From there, you can always drag the spell links directly onto NPC, if you don't want to reset spell list and reparse.

Regards,
JPG

kalmarjan
February 23rd, 2016, 20:01
This makes my developping so much easier. You guys rule!

kalmarjan
January 25th, 2017, 16:14
Sorry to Necro this thread... what is the format to write for Innate spellcasting of a spell that is 1/week or 1/month?

Zacchaeus
January 25th, 2017, 16:32
Sorry to Necro this thread... what is the format to write for Innate spellcasting of a spell that is 1/week or 1/month?

There isn't such a thing. The longest available is x/day. Having said that I've never tried putting anything like a week or a month in. So, if you try 1/week or 1/month and it shows up then you have won a coconut :)