PDA

View Full Version : App Launch Issue

ryuujin46153
February 22nd, 2016, 20:34
Hello,

I installed the app today via Steam. At first, the updater kept displaying an error notification regarding Steam inaccessibility. I made a few more tries and eventually the update seemingly completed but then the app itself disappeared, although Steam says it's running. I did a few restarts, ran it as admin, and even reinstalled the application to see if anything changes, but the issue persists.

As a final attempt, I removed the application from Steam and tried installing it directly. The app still won't launch, but then I noticed on Task Manager that the program is actually active but is in the background. I have no idea how to bring it out. Can someone help me, please? I'm on a laptop running Windows 10, 64-bit

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2016, 21:15
You'll want to use the End Task button in the Task Manager to kill those FG processes, or reboot.

Can you try installing directly from the installer on the Downloads section of our web site?

The Steam version is just a simple wrapper that points to the same version installable from the web site.

Regards,
JPG

ryuujin46153
February 23rd, 2016, 06:45
I did the direct install and it wasn't working at first (the screenshot I posted earlier) but somehow a few system reboots fixed it. Although, whenever I try relaunching the app, the problem comes back so I have to reboot everytime.

damned
February 23rd, 2016, 09:49
Hi ryuujin46153 something is causing your FG to hang. In Task Manager you should be able to End Task on the FantasyGrounds.exe if it doesnt close and disappear after you exit.

ryuujin46153
February 23rd, 2016, 11:23
Hi ryuujin46153 something is causing your FG to hang. In Task Manager you should be able to End Task on the FantasyGrounds.exe if it doesnt close and disappear after you exit.

I've been trying to do just that. Sometimes, the app will successfully launch and everything seems fine. But when I exit the program and attempt to relaunch it, the problems come back, and I'll have to reinstall everything to get it to work again.

damned
February 23rd, 2016, 11:48
Hi ryuujin46153 something is causing your FG to hang. Until you work out what is causing this you will need to check if FantasyGrounds.exe is still running after you exit and if it is you will have to End Task it using Task Manager.

ryuujin46153
February 23rd, 2016, 12:21
I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2016, 16:38
I see you have Dropbox sync installed. Make sure you are not syncing the FG App Data directories with DropBox. This can corrupt FG data and cause file access issues.

Axeking
February 24th, 2016, 17:14
Are you by any chance using Asus GamerOSD?

It took me 3 years to determine this little POS was causing my apps to hang on closing and take 15 min+ for the process to die. Even killing form task manager (or anything else, short of rebooting) could not kill the zombie processes.

Uninstalled OSD, and haven't seen the problem since...

ryuujin46153
February 25th, 2016, 16:19

It took me 3 years to determine this little POS was causing my apps to hang on closing and take 15 min+ for the process to die. Even killing form task manager (or anything else, short of rebooting) could not kill the zombie processes.

No, sorry. I don't use any overclocking software. My Dropbox also isn't synced to anything @Trenloe

Is it possible that the problem is caused by Windows version incompatibility? No matter what I do, the program always launch as a background process and I can't find any method to bring it out.

@damned FG exits fine when I use End Process. The only problem I have is trying to launch it normally.

ryuujin46153
February 25th, 2016, 17:55

I don't have any overclocking software installed.

My Dropbox isn't synced to anything, either.

Is it possible that the problem might be related to the Windows build version I'm using? No matter what I do, the program always get stuck in the background processes when I try to launch it. Ending the process works just fine, I just really can't figure out why it won't open normally.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2016, 20:27
After you've done a clean reboot. Try running FG as administrator - right-click on the FG startup icon and select "Run as Administrator" (this may be in a "More" sub-menu).