PDA

View Full Version : Some things I'd like to run - anyone interested?

Black Hammer
February 22nd, 2016, 19:51
Finished up with my busy time of year as well as my last game and figured it's time to get something new started. I have a couple of ideas for things I'd like to run, so figured I'd see what people are interested in playing. These are in no particular order, so don't assume whatever I list last is something I just barely tolerate.

As far as scheduling goes, I'm in EST (GMT-5), but I work very early in the morning, am done by noon. Generally I either run Wednesday night, Thursday afternoon or evening, or Friday afternoon. Haven't really done weekends, but could swing a Saturday midafternoon game.

1) Savage Worlds - Achtung! Cthulhu. WW2 Lovecraftian horror, leaning towards pulp (action-packed monster-hunting) over purist (nihilistic investigation). Nice mix of intrigue and action, very easy to learn system, and plenty of room for roleplay.

2) Savage Worlds - 50 Fathoms/Pirates of the Spanish Main. If I have to explain the appeal of playing a pirate-themed game, you probably don't want to play it. As I mentioned before, Savage Worlds is a fast-paced and easy to learn game. 50 Fathoms is a fantasy "pirate world" setting (magic, sea monsters, nonhuman race options), while Pirates of the Spanish Main is more realistic, or at least traditional, Caribbean hijinks.

3) Mutant: Year Zero - Post-apocalyptic survival fun. You are a mutant, raised in a village of similarly-aged mutants with no idea how your town really came to be. Only the Elder knows much about before, and he isn't telling. Scavenge for grub and gear, avoid the rot and raiders, and find Eden. Or die horribly. I have an idea for running this loosely, with people able to join expeditions or skip a session as they like, and running a forum thread for the long-term community planning, like Ark projects and future expeditions. The game has a lot of emphasis on the success of the Ark, rather than just the player characters, so having irregular players would matter less than in a tight class or role based game like D&D.

4) Vampire: the Masquerade - This is more of a back-burner project for me. VtM is very reliant on having the right group of players, and I don't really know enough FG people well enough to begin to cobble together such a group. Still, I haven't had a chance to run this tabletop for quite some time, and doubt I'll ever run it as a LARP again. Bit of a clunky, dated system, but the game was usually pretty fun once you got a group all on the same page. There would be house rules. Especially for celerity.

5) Other stuff I'd consider running: Savage Worlds superhero game. Eclipse Phase, because I'm really curious after having played a couple of convention games. Maybe a Warhammer game (40k or Fantasy), but those are jinxed. Anima is somewhat tempting, though it's a pain in the backside tabletop, and I can only imagine gets worse online. Maybe Deadlands, maybe Legend of the Five Rings, maybe Hordes (Privateer Press). I'd like to say Shadowrun, but I'm a little leery of its mechanics for an online game. Might do Shadowrun with Savage Worlds' Interface Zero and magic cobbled in.

No TORG. Just no. I've warmed to Pathfinder a bit, but just not in the mood for generic fantasy. Same applies to D&D 5E- I like the system, but no inspiration there.

sctorchwoodfan
February 22nd, 2016, 20:19
Owww.... Achtung! Cthulu sounds fun or Shadowrun.

Daedalus
February 22nd, 2016, 20:38
So what happened to the Wednesday Savage Worlds 50 Fathoms game?

Black Hammer
February 22nd, 2016, 20:50
So what happened to the Wednesday Savage Worlds 50 Fathoms game?

Nothing, which is why it's still listed there. Literally nothing, I never got enough interest/schedules to line up to start it.

DMRem
February 22nd, 2016, 22:39
I GMed Mutant: Year Zero - it was a lot of fun, but now I know meta-plot. :)

Serena
February 23rd, 2016, 00:35
call of the octopus bearded ancient! please! or VTM, I used to play a lot of vtm and cross games by whitewolf

Black Hammer
February 23rd, 2016, 00:39
call of the octopus bearded ancient! please! or VTM, I used to play a lot of vtm and cross games by whitewolf

Closest I get to Call of Cthulhu is either Achtung! Cthulhu (with the Savage Worlds rules) or Trail of Cthulhu (Gumshoe).

Which reminds me, I'd also be interested in running Night's Black Agents again, that was a fun campaign.

sillywilly4
February 23rd, 2016, 02:58
I'm very new to the Savage Worlds rules (played 2 one shots), but I'm really excited to see how it plays out over a campaign. I'd love to get in on any of the Savage Worlds ideas. I'm leaning towards 50 Fathoms, but they all sound fun.

ben1981
February 23rd, 2016, 05:59
I'd be interested in joining a Wednesday night game of Achtung! Cthulhu or Interface Zero.

Skellan
February 23rd, 2016, 09:24
have you seen shadow of the demon lord? I think you might like it (the setting at least)

hawkwind
February 23rd, 2016, 12:43
shadow of the demon lord looks good and there is a character sheet for FG

Black Hammer
February 23rd, 2016, 14:16
have you seen shadow of the demon lord? I think you might like it (the setting at least)

I had not seen it previously. Looked it up, seems like it had decent reviews, but as I mentioned before, I'm not really in a fantasy mood. Will keep it in mind, maybe pick up the rulebook some time.

Ellspeth
February 23rd, 2016, 21:06
I have played 50 Fathoms and it can be a blast with the right group. Any of the pirate stuff looks to be fun, I have the materials for some of it. Seems a bomb went off recently on my oh so over extended gaming schedule, so I have filled some of the time getting my short Savage History campaign running bi-weekly Saturdays, and prepping some one shots for the FG-Con. Currently Thursday nights (EST) and possibly Wednesday nights work well for me, Actually about any night other than Fridays and Sundays. I'll keep an eye out for what you finally settle on.

Black Hammer
February 24th, 2016, 23:33
Sounds like that's a couple of people up for 50 Fathoms, at least. Wouldn't mind starting up another game of something else if there's interest, I'm all clear of con stuff for the near future and only have a couple of board games to demo in the next few months.

ugotcrippled
February 25th, 2016, 03:08
Mutant year zero please

ryeookin
February 25th, 2016, 20:54
Hi! I've never played Mutant year zero but it sounds like fun. I'd be up for giving it a go, playing it on a Wednesday evening (5:30-10pm EST or there abouts) if you were willing to run it.

Black Hammer
February 26th, 2016, 14:32
Well, there's a couple of votes for Mutant as well. Eyeballing the schedule, many people are on board for:

Wednesday night (say, 6-10 EST) Mutant: Year Zero
Thursday night (say, 6-10 EST) 50 Fathoms

Can start narrowing in on exact times that work well for people.

Ellspeth
February 26th, 2016, 16:12
Awesome let me know if the Thursday night 50 Fathoms happens, I'd be happy to join, and I always have new people asking me if I know of any open games so once it is scheduled I'll let others know if you need more players. I have the modules for this, it is one I really liked a lot.

Serena
February 27th, 2016, 04:03
I am up for anything if shcedule is ok, as long as it's a long term campaign and you guys don't hate girls

Ellspeth
February 27th, 2016, 04:14
Well I am a girl Serena, I hope they get the 50 Fathoms going, it is a blast, but I know what it is like to be the only girl at the table. Not so much hated, I haven't experienced that with anyone I met here through the forums, but being outnumbered can make it feel a bit off at times. There actually a lot more women playing here than may be readily apparent, takes a little getting used to. Anyways I hope to meet you in a game some day, a couple of lady pirates I think could be quite deadly.

Serena
February 27th, 2016, 04:35
last experience was weird the guys went silent all game long because of girls joining the game. how about we have our own girl pirate guild? If I can play, id'like to make a con-artist character. Sort of revamp of milady of Winter in 3 musqueteers.

damned
February 27th, 2016, 04:37
I am up for anything if shcedule is ok, as long as it's a long term campaign and you guys don't hate girls

Serena - if you find anyone hating on girls move straight on. The majority of tables here would welcome you.

Ellspeth
February 27th, 2016, 04:41
There are a few famous lady pirates out there, I was playing Ching Shih, look her up holy hell, what a terror. Brits never got her they bribed her into retiring. And don't let one off or even several off experiences put you off. Over time you will meet more women around here, many of the games I have played in have women players, in fact I was considering putting together a one shot, or a short campaign if I can find enough interested women, for kind of a Ladies Night Out game. LOL yet another project, Hendell if you read this I am NOT in DENIAL, I don't care that I am hooked is all.
As far as a Ladies Pirate Guild that is a GM call, and hell we don't want to scare him out of running a pirates game.

sctorchwoodfan
February 27th, 2016, 05:00
deleted

Ellspeth
February 27th, 2016, 05:15
Serena - if you find anyone hating on girls move straight on. The majority of tables here would welcome you.
Here on the forums what Damned said, the majority here have been amazing welcoming and helpful, in and out of game. Anywhere it can take time to find the right combination of players, and don't take the guys silence as hatred, some of them are just really awkward around women. We scare some of them. Their tables too apparently, I was in a game where only the 3 lady players showed up one day, and the GM's table wouldn't bloody open. He could could connect to mine, but it just flat out refused to open the GM table for him. A lot of communication is lost over the internet, visual cues and such. Not saying there aren't jerks out there somewhere, but the vast majority here I really sweet and considerate.

Daedalus
February 27th, 2016, 05:39
last experience was weird the guys went silent all game long because of girls joining the game. how about we have our own girl pirate guild? If I can play, id'like to make a con-artist character. Sort of revamp of milady of Winter in 3 musqueteers.

Yeah that sucked. Sorry again about that.

Daedalus
February 27th, 2016, 05:40
I will remove myself from the thread as my Wednesday is now taken by the Savage Worlds Firefly game I am trying to get started. Perhaps we can game together in the future. Thank you for considering me

Serena
February 27th, 2016, 09:26
not tour fault dead... at leat you can tell i can roleplay with'ut guy help lol

Ellspeth
February 27th, 2016, 12:36
LOL Serena it is interesting, when I was working on my degree in acting, our first studio, indeed most, the women outnumber the men. In acting it is usually the men who have the most difficulty stepping outside their comfortable roles, and that is in part our societies fault. Women are allowed to be emotional, expressive etc, but the same gender conditioning that taught women they were second place in society has harmed men by demanding they always be tough, they never show their feelings, blah blah blah. Let's hope Black Hammer get the 50 Fathoms going. And Daedulus, I played in your A-Team one shot, I saw you put Tropicana on the schedule for FG-Con, I am hoping to play in that but I am working on a second offering for the Con and since I am partnering with someone in that I am not sure if I can avoid crossing your scheduled time. I know you weren't the problem. Most of the guys here in these forums are great, and in the last year I have been in a few games that didn't work out, but my gender was never the issue, just some groups never mesh, others have a chemistry that should members leave can never be recaptured. As I said, when something goes wrong in an internet group, too much communication is lost to really be certain the cause.
And Serena, do watch in the future, I fully intend to run some stuff that will attempt to bring the lady gamers here together, more visible, easier for other women to reach out to as they negotiate in this world that seems so overwhelmingly male. Sheesh one group I play with the GM's mother is one of the players, you should see how that affects group dynamics, rofl. He let her character get killed, he was lucky, she only refused to speak to him for 3 days. Also I will keep an eye out for games with the GM's or players I know would not have such issues and send ya a message if I hear of anything else. Good luck, hang in there, remember they are just SCARED of you, way more than you could be of them.
Oh I wanted to add, I have joined 3 games at least that were specifically looking for additional female players, in fact one was advertising for another female player just a few weeks back. I have met too many really nice guys here to want anyone to think a few jerks are a measure of the entire community.

Black Hammer
February 27th, 2016, 18:37
Well, this got quite busy rather quickly.

@Serena

You're quite welcome to join. I've run for and played with plenty of women over the years, and don't have any trouble with it. Have had my fair share of drama over the years related to mixed gaming groups, but this rarely cropped up in the context of the game itself. (Usually, it has to do with socialization around the game rather than within it, where differences of any nature can be problematic. A group of guys in their late 20s going out for a couple of beers after a game is rather complicated by the addition of a 19 year old girl, and the DM's girlfriend issue is a running joke in the hobby at this point.) I've played with Ellspeth once I think, don't recall having any issues there.

Biggest question I'd have for you is whether that Thursday time slot (6-10 PM EST, GMT-5) works for you for the 50 Fathoms. If you're interested in the Mutant: Year Zero game as well (which is penciled in for Wednesday night, 6-10PM EST), you're more than welcome to try both.

@Daedalus

At this point I'm looking at Thursday as a possible slot for the 50 Fathoms game, not sure if that works for you in contrast to Wednesday. Sorry to hear you might not be able to make it, as I've been hoping to get a chance to game with you at some point. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, considering our shared fondness for Savage Worlds. Best of luck with the Firefly game.

@Ellspeth

The only thing likely to scare me out of running a pirate game is if people want to play it using either Champions or the Amber system. I am not going to compute the knockback force of a cannonball in meters, meters per second, or meters per second per second, and diceless games that revolve purely around a narrative are not a good starting place with a table full of strangers. As for a guild of lady pirates, you'd have to find enough ladies first. I've had trouble coming up with enough non-gender-specific pirates/privateers/morally muddled mariners in the first place, but I think we're getting somewhere.

As for anyone else interested, feel free to post here and/or shoot me a message.

sctorchwoodfan
February 27th, 2016, 19:15
deleted

Daedalus
February 27th, 2016, 21:50
*snip* removing myself from the thread to prevent any more thresfjacking. My apologies

Daedalus
February 27th, 2016, 21:51
@Daedalus

At this point I'm looking at Thursday as a possible slot for the 50 Fathoms game, not sure if that works for you in contrast to Wednesday. Sorry to hear you might not be able to make it, as I've been hoping to get a chance to game with you at some point. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, considering our shared fondness for Savage Worlds. Best of luck with the Firefly game.

Would love to by on Thursdays I am running my Savage Worlds East Texas University Game and I am not available. Maybe we can game together in the future

sctorchwoodfan
February 27th, 2016, 22:09
deleted

Skellan
February 27th, 2016, 22:54
Well sctorchwood, I would just say it was a one time fluke but I tried to put a women in the game before and the players got quiet then too. It had something to do with the people in the group. I am not calling them jerks either because I like the guys, but there was something about having a women in the game that just didn't work for them.

You are out of order here, don't make spurious accusations. I have been a member of this community since 2012 and have run hundreds of sessions for many players, both male and female. This issue was with the behaviour of a player on that day. I don't want to derail this thread any more than it has already has been, so i am not going to comment further here. If anyone wants to discuss this, you are more than welcome to contact me.

Black Hammer
February 27th, 2016, 23:10
I'm sort of with Skellan here, in that while I don't know exactly what's being discussed, I do know it hasn't got much to do with my games. I can comfortably say that there are plenty of people who don't mix, regardless of gender. As Elspeth pointed out, sometimes a group just doesn't mesh well and that doesn't always have to be one individual's fault. People's expectations of what they have to put into a game and what they'll get out of a game vary a great deal, so it's hardly wrong for folk to go separate ways if they don't find gaming together to be an enjoyable experience.

Also, while it pains me to make comments of this nature, what with my pride in being an insensitive jerk and equal opportunity hater, I think we'd all be better off if we didn't generalize "women in games." I don't know about the rest of you, but in my gaming experience, I've had my fair share of women (no more or less than men) create campaign-destroying drama at the table just as much as contribute meaningfully not only to the game but to the social atmosphere that for me at least, is just as important.

If people are concerned about awkward past experiences with other players active here and don't want to run into them again, PM me with those concerns. I know I listed a lot of different game systems in my initial post, but "Finger-pointing about people's subjective memories of past incidents" was not one of them. Unless V:tM counts.

EDIT: Speaking of PM'ing me, if you're currently interested in either of these games:

Wednesday night (~6-10 EST) Mutant: Year Zero
Thursday night (~6-10 EST) 50 Fathoms/Pirates of the Spanish Main

Shoot me a PM. Whether you're curious about the systems, want to know how flexible the scheduling is, or whatever, drop me a line. If you can, let me know your time zone, and if you'd rather I get in touch with you via Skype, Steam, or whatever. Also let me know when you'd be ready to start; I'd be game for getting a Session Zero up this week for party discussion, system tutorials, and character creation.

Skellan
February 27th, 2016, 23:15
Ok, so I will add that unfortunately I won't be able to play in this session. I only got tagged at I wanted to suggest that Black Hammer might like Shadow of the Demon Lord

Have fun with whatever you end up playing :)

sctorchwoodfan
February 28th, 2016, 03:10
Sorry Black Hammer for the off topic discussions. Are you sure you don't want to run a third game of great Cthulu adventureness?..... no one seems to want to run one :'(.... LOL

Serena
February 28th, 2016, 05:12
Guys behave I did not intend to start a debate here. i'm only interested in joini g a long term campaign that i will enjoy

Black Hammer
February 28th, 2016, 17:49
Cheer up, at some point I'll get enough people to run a proper Vampire the Masquerade game, and then you can all merrily stab each other in the back politically while I surreptitiously do it literally.

Also, I seem to have forgotten to mention that I have an Ultimate license, so people can be using the lite/demo version.

Serena
February 28th, 2016, 18:10
vtm yay! i loved this game so much

sctorchwoodfan
February 28th, 2016, 20:03
Cheer up, at some point I'll get enough people to run a proper Vampire the Masquerade game, and then you can all merrily stab each other in the back politically while I surreptitiously do it literally.

Also, I seem to have forgotten to mention that I have an Ultimate license, so people can be using the lite/demo version.

I was surprised when I first saw a few weeks ago on roll20 forums that people are still playing VtM. I had good fun playing in the first part of the Giovanni Chronicles many years ago.

Black Hammer
February 29th, 2016, 01:21
50 Fathoms is a go for Thursday night, 630-1030 PM EST. Still a couple of spots open if anyone is interested in joining. Beginners are more than welcome.

Serena
February 29th, 2016, 03:49
any calendar link?

Black Hammer
February 29th, 2016, 20:59
any calendar link?

I tried to make one. Can't seem to get the date or time to be listed, though.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1869

Ellspeth
March 1st, 2016, 01:19
Hey Hey Serena looks like we are both in, lets see if a pair of lady pirates can terrorize Caribdus as only we can. Hey Black Hammer can my character carry a rapier and whip? I like that image.

Serena
March 1st, 2016, 04:51
awsome! if allowed ill play a young chinese tatoo artist/healer

damned
March 1st, 2016, 04:56
I tried to make one. Can't seem to get the date or time to be listed, though.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1869

It goes something like this:
10 03 20:30

Black Hammer
March 1st, 2016, 19:19
It goes something like this:
10 03 20:30

I tried that a couple of times, on both my phone and computer. Doesn't want to list it.

Black Hammer
March 3rd, 2016, 00:56
Calendar is still obdurate. First session for 50 Fathoms will be tomorrow starting at 630PM EST. Still are a couple of spots available if anyone wants in. Will be handling character gen on the spot, so you don't need anything prepared as far as that goes.

I have ultimate license, so all you need is:
At least the demo version of FG downloaded and updated
Teamspeak installed and able to connect to the FG TS server

Feel free to post or PM with any questions.

Serena
March 3rd, 2016, 00:59
roger

Ellspeth
March 3rd, 2016, 01:10
I'll be there, I did offer as a good pirate to shanghai a few players but apparently OOC that can't be done.

Serena
March 3rd, 2016, 01:43
lol

RageArmor
March 3rd, 2016, 01:50
I'm up for doing VtM. Out of all the table tops VtM was the one i played the most. Though i do have some questions. Such as would you allow the Caitiff New Clan Merit rule?

Serena
March 3rd, 2016, 01:54
So Excited! I got my picture!!! and my character concept!

Ellspeth
March 3rd, 2016, 12:38
Well I know Black Hammer said we don't need to do characters in advance, mine is mostly done and like you Serena have the pic, concept and name. Aye I miss the feel of a rolling deck beneath my feet and the smell of the smoke of ships looted and burned. Ah those were the days.

Serena
March 3rd, 2016, 16:44
i plan to play a mage!

Serena
March 10th, 2016, 23:49
we still need players! come on join!

Ellspeth
March 11th, 2016, 12:49
Only two sessions in, we can use some more players, and those of you who aren't afraid to play with a lady pirate with a whip and a lady mage,and I am told possibly yet another lady character, all female players please join us, we are already tearing up Caribdus. I promise to never use my whip on allies, does that help? We could use some guys for balance.

sctorchwoodfan
March 11th, 2016, 22:29
Black Hammer are you no longer going to run the second mutant game?

Black Hammer
March 12th, 2016, 00:09
Black Hammer are you no longer going to run the second mutant game?

Right now I really don't have enough player interest to get it started, considering the system requires a certain population just to get the ball rolling. I can keep momentum in Savage Worlds with 2-3 players, but for Mutant I don't think I'd want less than four.