PDA

View Full Version : n00b DM starts one shot game on 25th of march

onky
March 19th, 2005, 18:32
Well... I guess I'll have to give it a try some time.... I am writing this e-mail with my knees shaking and cold sweat on my back hehe:)

I have converted a simple adventure from RPGnow to an FG module, making use of Dundjinni for the mapping and using tokens from nethack.

I would need four lvl 1 adventurers who are patient enough with me and who will give me some room for errors;)

The playingtime will be friday the 25th of march, around 11:30 PM (GMT+1)

Oh.... And my girlfriend will be watching over my shoulder as well as I am trying to pull her into D&D as well;)

vooood
March 19th, 2005, 20:50
i'm interested :)

onky
March 20th, 2005, 15:59
Great!:) 3 more vacancies are left......

Tharivol
March 20th, 2005, 16:11
Just a few questions:

How long isthis planning on taking (in sessions i mean)?

If it is more than one session when will we be meeting?

What are the rules we need to use for character creation?

And What starting level will we need to create?

Thanks

onky
March 20th, 2005, 21:47
Just a few questions:

How long isthis planning on taking (in sessions i mean)?

If it is more than one session when will we be meeting?

What are the rules we need to use for character creation?

And What starting level will we need to create?

Thanks

Well, as I mentioned I'm a noob at DM'ing but I will have to start sometime, and FG made me confident enough to give it a go so to speak:)

It will be a one shot session, so expect no campaign. It will probably be a session which will hit the 3 hour mark in playtime.
The rules for charactercreation are standard PHB, version 3.5 (3.0 shouldn't be too much of a problem). The starting level is 01.

vooood
March 21st, 2005, 11:25
and what about abilities? you will trust our rolls or pointbuy (how many points)?

onky
March 21st, 2005, 11:36
Hmmm, see, I warned you about my n00bishness:D

You can generate the abilities with a 4d6 roll, discarding the well known lowest roll.

Hayt
March 21st, 2005, 13:24
Hmmm, see, I warned you about my n00bishness:D

You can generate the abilities with a 4d6 roll, discarding the well known lowest roll.

Onky,

You're probably being a bit too trusting to allow the usual method of generating stats. This is fine if you're playing face to face where you can see your players making their rolls but when you're playing remotely as in FantasyGrounds, where players usually determine their stats before playing, it's normal practice to use a point buy system.

As you're new to DMing you may not be aware of the procedure. It works thus: All ability scores start at 8. Each player then has a pool of points which he or she uses to buy additional stat points. Each additional ability point above 8 costs one point, with additional stat points above 14 costing 2 points. Pools are recommended at a starting value of 30 but can be adjusted up or down at the DM's discretion.

The stats are then further adjusted to take care of racial bonuses, etc

DMing is a daunting task at the best of times (so much to remember!) and even more so when you're new to it. So I wish you well in your endeavour. Good luck!

richvalle
March 21st, 2005, 13:34
Onky,

I'll pitch in with Hayt here. Point buy is definatly the way to go. Not only is it fair but it makes everyone start at the same level vs one guy with 3 18's ect.

Just a thought.

rv

onky
March 21st, 2005, 13:35
Thanks for the tips... I know the workings of point buying, I guess I just trust everyone too much when it comes to character building...:)

Sigurd
March 21st, 2005, 16:25
You could all meet online and roll the dice with the DM to keep you honest. That is my preference.

Thats why I asked about direct support for roll 4 take best 3.

S

onky
March 21st, 2005, 16:36
That would be a great idea.... Since it is a low profile game to begin with, you wouldnīt have to put that much time in building the character. If all 4 could agree on making quick rolls, this could indeed work....

Tharivol
March 22nd, 2005, 12:40
Well if you still have room in the group i would not mind joining. BTW what character types do we have? If you have enough people already wellthanks forthe opportunity.

Thanks

onky
March 22nd, 2005, 12:44
You can still join up for fridaynight. Itīs good to have a rogue and a cleric in the party.

Tharivol
March 22nd, 2005, 12:53
Well in that case i will take the rogue position. Also noticed that in FG you can roll all 24 dice at once and then remove the 6 lowest and arrange to taste. Just an idea on how we could do the rolling if inded that is what you have planned.

Thanks

richvalle
March 22nd, 2005, 13:44
Hmm, I'm not sure but I think that would give a different stat range then rolling 4d6 and dropping the lowest.

What you could do is roll the 24d6 and then when they show up in the chat window take them in blocks of 4 from first to last. Drop the lowest in each 4 die block and that will give you your numbers.

rv

Tharivol
March 22nd, 2005, 14:06
You are right that it would give a different type of range the one time i did it i ended (from highest to lowest) with 17, 15, 13, 12, 10, 10. But as i said it was just an idea. Also, as they say you are the DM :wink: . So there is just one quesiton i have left: will we be pregenerating or generating at the time of the game?

Tharivol

onky
March 22nd, 2005, 17:00
Pregenerating the character is fine. I can monitor the charsheets anyway so if I stumble across some really odd numbers or possessions I will most certainly be raising hell ;)

vooood
March 22nd, 2005, 19:06
what about eq?

we roll the money or use std pkg? i will use std i like it :)

sorry for the abbr but i'm in a hurry

Tharivol
March 23rd, 2005, 21:41
If I can put my two cent worth in about the equipment I prefer that we be able to pick our own equipment instead of being forced to take a starting package (of course part of the reason is that I have already finished the character :lol: ) but the other part is that it leaves a flexibility that is not inherent in the prepackaged package.

Thanks

onky
March 23rd, 2005, 22:06
We will start with the random starting gold rule as found in the PHB.

Tharivol
March 25th, 2005, 19:40
How are we going to get the connection information? This just hit my head and i realized we (or at least I) have no information on IP or server alias. if you want to contact me i shoudl be home about 5:15p my time (GMT -5) and i think that is about 11:15p your time Onky

Thanks

onky
March 25th, 2005, 20:13
I have a page up with the info needed.... I will send you the location...

onky
March 25th, 2005, 20:16
Two more players are welcome to join forces at 11:00 pm GMT+1 tonight:)

Cantstanzya
March 25th, 2005, 21:57
If you guys don't mind, I'd be happy to join for just one session. I want to get a feel for using FG, but really don't like 3rd edition. Just let me know if it is alright to join.

onky
March 25th, 2005, 22:01
It's alright;)

Pipisongo
March 25th, 2005, 22:57
Is there room for one more player?

onky
March 26th, 2005, 01:29
Allright then...:) My first DM session ever, and in FG as well for that matter, is a fact. Thanks everyone for joining up! I now have unlimited respect for DM's worldwide... The game has now slipped into a campaign officially. I know I have to prepare more for the next session. I will post the log on the site for all to read and catch up. Until next time and thanks!:)

onky
March 30th, 2005, 19:50
Ok, new roll call to the players.... Next session will be on the 8th of april, at 11:00pm GMT+1. Hopefully Tharivol, Ignace and Enrico will continue their stay at Tinderton and investigate what the hell is going on up north?

If the three of you still want to continue I'd need one more player, preferably a cleric.... If interested, I can PM the chatlog of the previous session to see what was happening then...

Tharivol
April 1st, 2005, 12:49
Unfortunately i will not be able to make it today (family stuff woo hoo). so i will have to keep abreast on what is going on later i guess.

Sorry

onky
April 1st, 2005, 13:25
No problem, since it's not today but next week's friday;)

Tharivol
April 8th, 2005, 22:53
:Knock Knock: "Anyone home? It's cold out here!"

Anyway cant seem to connect to you is there a different ip address? I have been trying for almost an hour (my time :) ) to connect to you.

Well give me a jingle on any of the chat clients listed after my signature

thanks