PDA

View Full Version : Combat Issues...damage rolls...and an NPC question

GrimmSpector
February 21st, 2016, 05:16
Running PFRPG

Ok, this is a lot of small issues...first battle started really well, I found a "lock" option of some sort in the right click menu on the map, that locked players tokens down, so they could only setup moves that I had to approve that they got a measuring line for.

This never worked for NPCs, they only ever teleport, so I have to count space manually, not sure if that's intended, or if there's a way to make it move like players?

In addition when we first started, when they made attacks, attacks that hit would auto roll their damage, and when they cast spells, they similarly would auto roll saves/damage/healing, but suddenly they do not, they reroll crits, but don't ever roll damage, and it has to be dragged off manually.

Wondering what I did to screw this up, or if there's a known issue or work around. Any help would be vastly appreciated.

I've had a few other issues with targeting, but I think that's more a user issue, but I noticed the players have no targetting section on their CT, so they can't tell what they are or are not targeting, only I can, is this intended?

Trenloe
February 21st, 2016, 05:25
This never worked for NPCs, they only ever teleport, so I have to count space manually, not sure if that's intended, or if there's a way to make it move like players?
Hold down the CTRL key before dragging the NPC token to give the movement measurement lines.

In addition when we first started, when they made attacks, attacks that hit would auto roll their damage, and when they cast spells, they similarly would auto roll saves/damage/healing, but suddenly they do not, they reroll crits, but don't ever roll damage, and it has to be dragged off manually.
I've used the PFRPG ruleset extensively and I've never known it to auto roll damage as the result of a successful attack. It's always been attack -> manually check hits/results, roll for damage.

I've had a few other issues with targeting, but I think that's more a user issue, but I noticed the players have no targetting section on their CT, so they can't tell what they are or are not targeting, only I can, is this intended?
Players don't have the target icon dragging within the combat tracker, but they do see a text entry in the combat tracker listing their targets. They will also see white target lines drawn on the map for their PC token. The other players and GMs can see these targeting lines by hovering their mouse over the PC token in question.

If, as a GM, you're unsure what the players are seeing I strongly recommend you run up a second instance of FG on the same computer and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost. This will allow you to see the same thing the players are seeing. I recommend this for all novice FG GMs - I did it all the time when I first started using FG and still do it occasionally.

Trenloe
February 21st, 2016, 05:31
Here's an example of what a player sees when they have some targets selected. They see the white targeting arrows on the map and the creature names in the "Targets" section of the combat tracker:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/PFRPG/Player%20Targets.jpg

GrimmSpector
February 21st, 2016, 05:53
Super, that helps.

Can I ask why the damage doesn't autoroll?

I'm certain it was initially, as are my players, I don't think I saved the combat log though.

Trenloe
February 21st, 2016, 06:02
Can I ask why the damage doesn't autoroll?
This has been a long term design decision in the majority of FG rulesets. It gives the GM the ability to double check the attack results to see if everything was done correctly before giving the players the go head to roll damage. Of course, what can happen is that the players see the "Hit" report and roll damage anyway.

It's a minor overhead getting the players to roll damage separately to the attack, compared to the desire for GMs to have a final check before allowing players to roll damage.

GrimmSpector
February 21st, 2016, 08:28
Fair enough, alright thanks.