PDA

View Full Version : CURSE OF STRAHD Preview Adventure and FG

Calisto
February 20th, 2016, 00:43
Posted today on ENWorld I see that the the current issue of Dragon+ for 5e "...includes a preview adventure for Curse of Strahd called Death House. It's a 12-page PDF is a min-adventure designed to get characters to 3rd level as they explore a haunted townhouse, while introducing characters to the land of Barovia.

Read more: https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3242-New-DRAGON-Delves-Into-Ravenloft#.Vse0r-Yw3hM#ixzz40fE8vnPl

I wonder if this is something we should expect to see created for Fantasy Grounds and sold (or made available for free :D) in the FG store at some point in the near future. I am planning to buy and run Curse of Strahd for my party as soon as it comes out for FG. This seems like a great starter adventure, if this were going to be available for purchase I would certainly consider it (dependent on price) to save the time it would take to create on my own.

Link to the pdf of this adventure can be found here: is https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/Curse%20of%20Strahd%20Introductory%20Adventure.pdf

kp9911
February 21st, 2016, 03:16
I have already started converting it since today I'm gonna run my group through it :D

PsychoPif
February 21st, 2016, 13:04
I'm probably going to run a group through it once it's released. I just wish they'd start doing adventure that start higher than level 1. When I get an premade adventure, it's because I don't have the time to do one myself. I don't have the time to convert it to higher level.

It's sad because I'm sure that would be an awesome side quest. One I'd buy on FG.

Calisto
February 21st, 2016, 17:22
I think I read somewhere on the forums here that the FG devs were in contact with WoTC to see how content from the DMs Guild might be authorized for conversion/sale on the FG store. Not sure if that's happening but it would be great to have not only this small adventure but the many Adventurers League modules available for FG. Any agreement with WoTC would have to factor the time/cost it would take someone to covert adventures for FG but I am sure there are many who would pay to have these adventures ready to go.

On reading the CURSE OF STRAHD Preview Adventure there isn't too much that is need to convert to FG. I'm importing maps, treasure and encounters for my local group and it shouldn't take too long to set up. Still it would be nice to buy for a few dollars with a simple click of the mouse!

kp9911
February 21st, 2016, 19:29
By any chance does anyone have the player variant of the maps. The one in the PDF has all the annotations which are most likely gonna ruin a lot of surprises....

JohnD
February 21st, 2016, 19:48
Link to the pdf of this adventure can be found here: is https://media.wizards.com/2016/downlo...0Adventure.pdf
Your link to the PDF does not work. If I understand correctly, this PDF should only be available to people who subscribe to Dragon+, correct?

Calisto
February 21st, 2016, 21:35
The Dragon+ issues are free, the content including this preview adventure are free to all from WoTC! Try this link to go to the article, scroll down the page and you will see the button to download the adventure.

https://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/106799/101258316?loadFresh=true&title=06_18_Tavern%20Tales

Jiminimonka
February 21st, 2016, 23:11
Your link to the PDF does not work. If I understand correctly, this PDF should only be available to people who subscribe to Dragon+, correct?

The link is pasted from somewhere as text so its missing all of the URL - lots of .... instead of characters.

kylania
February 21st, 2016, 23:31
Here's the link: https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/Curse%20of%20Strahd%20Introductory%20Adventure.pdf

kp9911
February 22nd, 2016, 06:01
After converting the adventure into an FE module I gotta say, "Death" house is not a pun! Coupled with the fact that its meant to be played with location based leveling its gonna cause a lot of complaints! Can't wait for the tears lol.

"Are you REALLY SURE you wanna do that?"

JohnD
February 22nd, 2016, 16:35
The Dragon+ issues are free, the content including this preview adventure are free to all from WoTC! Try this link to go to the article, scroll down the page and you will see the button to download the adventure.

https://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/106799/101258316?loadFresh=true&title=06_18_Tavern%20Tales

Well smoke me a kipper.

gqwebb
February 22nd, 2016, 16:55
This looks good, Now I really can't wait for the release.

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2016, 22:16
Just an FYI I understand that the intro adventure is included in the Curse of Strahd module.

kalmarjan
February 22nd, 2016, 23:27
Indeed, it is meant to be a preview of the adventure, according to Chris Perkin's tweets...

i3ullseye
February 23rd, 2016, 18:55
Since it is released public, at no charge, once someone gets a good module built, are there any reasons not to offer it to others?

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2016, 19:06
Since it is released public, at no charge, once someone gets a good module built, are there any reasons not to offer it to others?

It's still copyright and can't be distributed without permission I would have thought.

Nylanfs
February 23rd, 2016, 19:10
^^^ This right here

kp9911
February 24th, 2016, 15:44
Yup already converted into a module, however due to copy right infringement not sharing it here unfortunately. Gonna play this with a group on the weekend!

Still looking for player variations of the maps!

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2016, 18:35

Once the module is released by WotC the authors of the maps often release untagged versions that you can use - at a price of course.

JeffKnight
February 24th, 2016, 21:27
Yup already converted into a module, however due to copy right infringement not sharing it here unfortunately. Gonna play this with a group on the weekend!

If I were you, I'd hold off until the official start of season 4. If you run it now, you only get the season 3 DM rewards, not the season 4 ones.... and a little bird told me that you'll want the season 4 ones. ;D

kp9911
February 26th, 2016, 16:09
If I were you, I'd hold off until the official start of season 4. If you run it now, you only get the season 3 DM rewards, not the season 4 ones.... and a little bird told me that you'll want the season 4 ones. ;D

This is just gonna be for some close buddies of mine, nothing all that serious. We're just looking for a nice gothic like adventure to play out.

I also happened upon army of the dead, which I found on reddit, its an amazing adventure with a lot of thought put into it! I suggest you guys give that a try as well.

Also could you please care to explain, I didn't get what you were talking about with regards to DM rewards? Kinda new to 5E.

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2016, 18:00
This is just gonna be for some close buddies of mine, nothing all that serious. We're just looking for a nice gothic like adventure to play out.

I also happened upon army of the dead, which I found on reddit, its an amazing adventure with a lot of thought put into it! I suggest you guys give that a try as well.

Also could you please care to explain, I didn't get what you were talking about with regards to DM rewards? Kinda new to 5E.

I suspect he was talking about something like adventurer's league or some such, if such a thing exists for 5e.

kp9911
March 9th, 2016, 17:58
The awesome map designer Mike Schley has the maps for death house on his site which are available for free.

Spoiler Alert: There are maps of various locations in the upcoming curse of strahd adventure, you might want to avoid this section if you absolutely don't want to spoil anything for yourself.

Get the death house maps here (https://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/p678546160/h6027e4ea#h61fadc4d)

LordEntrails
March 9th, 2016, 20:45
The download button for the maps is kind of hidden, mouse over the top left corner of the image/map and you will see the link;

Calisto
March 9th, 2016, 20:55
It took me a few minutes to find the download button, good information for anyone else viewing this post.

I fully intend to buy the FG version of Curse of Strahd when available (next week?) and I assume Death House adventure will be included there.

kp9911
March 10th, 2016, 07:20
The download button for the maps is kind of hidden, mouse over the top left corner of the image/map and you will see the link;

Oh! Didn't notice that on mobile it shows a clear button for download.

JeffKnight
March 11th, 2016, 22:43
Now I can :D

Check these out: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/177291/Curse-of-Strahd-Dungeon-Master-Rewards

kp9911
March 12th, 2016, 05:08
Now I can :D

Check these out: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/177291/Curse-of-Strahd-Dungeon-Master-Rewards

Ah so this is what you were referring too. I'm way way way way below this level lol.

Currently we are a small group of players that just started at 5E, we are trying to slowly introduce as many people to D&D as possible since a lot of people have been wanting to play it, however something or the other has been preventing us from doing so.

Since I know have the ultimate licence, I try to host games online although we have not used FG yet, since someway or the other we end up meeting at a decided location and play it with pen and paper. FG for now just helps me reduce my prep time by like 100 % ;)