PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation with SW FG products - Client-Side

Rimne
February 18th, 2016, 15:41
I just wondered it the fantasy-specific character-creation stuff from the Fantasy Companion is included in the Savage Worlds Ruleset for FG?

Mask_of_winter
February 18th, 2016, 15:53
The Fantasy Companion is a module you need to purchase to be able to use on FG and SW, it comes with an extension to add the Arcane Backgrounds for that book.
That said, I use the SW Enhanced Library extension to make whatever I want for my games. It's like the Par5e for D&D but you do it inside FG. It's wysiwyg and a lot easier to use than Par5e. You can create library modules containing Edges & Hindrances, Powers, Skills, etc. Also, you can use the SW NPC maker to copy a statblock from a pdf and paste it in FG and it instantly creates an NPC.
So if you have the time and don't want to spend the money, you can make your own Fantasy Companion. Or, each PC's can right click on their character sheet and add whatever edge, hindrance, powers, skills or item they want.

Rimne
February 18th, 2016, 16:05
I'd be using SW in FG as a player. I'm considering purchasing the SW ruleset for purposes of fooling around with character creation. I've never played SW but it looks interesting and I'd like to try to find a game to join soonish.

In that spirit, lets say I wanted to import a character I made on my client into a new fantasy campaign. How would you advice me to go about it? Should I just get the savage world ruleset for FG and fill in the missing fantasy options manually? Should I get the fantasy companion as well, to make any automisation transfer correctly? Should I forgo purchasing the savage world ruleset entirely on account of each sw-setting being so fundementally different that I would have to recreate my character with new races, edges and skill for most of them anyway, thus making the import function of little use?

:)

Mask_of_winter
February 18th, 2016, 16:34
It depends on a few things.
Do you have the FC in pdf?
While SW has automation for attacks and effects, these effects aren't coded to most abilities and powers like 5e. You can create them in the Effects panel or use the ones already created and drop them in the tracker.
Basically, I would imagine it's very difficult to create a character for source material you don't have access to whether it's in FG format or pdf. Kind of like creating a Genasi for d&d 5e if I don't have the pdf or whatever module it is.
As a SW veteran gm I suggest you look at how SW characters are made as pre-gens first. Go on the Pinnacle Entertainment group website. Look for the free Lankhmar test drive rules and check out the pre-gens.
I'd share the link but I'm on mobile and it's a bit awkward. I'll be at my desk later today if you have more questions and nobody else has been able to help you.
That said, the FC isn't required to create a medieval fantasy character in SW. The Savage Worlds Deluxe handles it just fine.

Rimne
February 18th, 2016, 17:34
I have the SW core book and FC as pdfs.
I've seen the pre-gens in the SW-book, and the creation process itself looks fairly easy. My concern is more towards digital logistics. There is little point in buying the SW ruleset for my client as a player if I can't then create a character I can reliably import into a campaign-server when I find myself a game. If that is the case I'd be better off just writing down the character on a document for reference.

zarlor
February 18th, 2016, 20:19
Personally I'm not sure I would recommend FG for character creation. It's great once you know how to do character creation and put your character into it for use at the tabletop as a player, but for really playing around with building characters and making sure they're "legal" and such you're probably better off with Hero Lab, instead. There are several other pieces of software out there that handle character creation for Savage Worlds but Hero Lab has the most setting files for it (a bit of a disclaimer here in that a lot of those settings files were done by me, just fan-based files, mind you, I don't work for LoneWolf or anything.) I would note that the Fantasy Companion is an add-on module for Hero Lab so it will cost you a few bucks extra to get it if you were to decide to go that route. There's also Metacreator (not too bad and can, in some ways, be easier to use for getting your own content into the program, although it's also a bit less flexibly than Hero Lab is), and Wild Card Creator (meh) and Savage Outfitters (web-based subscritoin which I've never used but doesn't look like it easily handle custom content).

For some quick freebie web-based generators there is also https://www.godwars2.org/SavageWorlds/edit.html and https://jdgwf.github.io/savage-worlds-web-tools/index.html. Hopefully some of those might help. SWD is definitely my favorite system so hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Otherwise FG support for handling characters takes a little bit of getting used to, but overall it handles them really, really well. As long as you drag-and-drop things like supported Edges and Hindrances it handles most of them fantastic and recalculating stats and recognizing to use Elan when you've spent a Bennie and so on. Several folks here have mentioned it's better even than the D&D side, which I can't speak to myself but I think that's probably really saying something.