PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Way to Differentiate Between Two FG Windows (Class/EXE Name/Window Name?)

corwynn
February 17th, 2016, 23:32
I'd like to be able to switch between two recording scenes (I use OBS Studio) which watch my two FG instances, but cannot currently do so as the FG instances are 100% identical. (Their window name, window class, and executable name all match precisely, so OBS can't tell the difference between them. It knows that two are running, but it always selects the DM copy.)

Any suggestions as to how to set things up so that the two instances aren't twins? :)

damned
February 18th, 2016, 00:40
Unknown as I dont use this software... but try this - Launch FG (this will be a temp GM session) and it will grab the TCP1802 port.
Launch a second instance - this will be your player instance - it cant grab TCP1802 (you need the GM instance to have this binding) because its in use.
Close your First instance.
Launch OBS and select your FG instance (the player instance).
Launch a new instance (this can now grab TCP1802) and set this up as your GM instance.

corwynn
February 18th, 2016, 01:31
I want to be able to change between the two during play. So it's fairly irrelevant which one is open first. I want to find a method by which I can differentiate between the two. But that would likely work to select the player instance, yes. As would (probably) just opening two instances to the menu, window capturing the first, but actually starting the server with the second.

It's not so much that I can't find a way to grab player view, but that I want to swap between them as I please. :)

corwynn
February 18th, 2016, 01:53
Ok, so, my hackish workaround is that I made a copy of FantasyGrounds.exe (FantasyGroundsPLayer.exe) and am running both...

I have no idea if this will do anything crazy to the program, so if anyone has any dire warnings, please by all means let me know. As it stands this change is enough so that I can use the .exe names to differentiate between them, allowing me to use them in different scenes.