PDA

View Full Version : Requesting tips on how to handle dead creatures.

Nebs
February 16th, 2016, 21:24
I'm looking for ways to handle creature's death in combat.

I can't seem to figure out how to bring a creature's status to DEAD without it having wounds applied 3 times after it received the Dying status. Is there a way to roll a creature's death saving throws and track them like players do, and/or a way to manually set this super secret field of "Status:"?
In addition, is there a way to skip a "Status: DEAD" creature's turn, without hiding the creature? I'd rather the token stay on the map, so it can be recognized as difficult terrain, be used as cover, be used as a weapon, or depending on what magic is available, revived and resume combat.

Nylanfs
February 16th, 2016, 21:32
Fire? And Welcome to the community!

jshauber
February 16th, 2016, 21:43
Hi Nebs and Welcome!!!

Open the "OPTION" button in top right and look for the entry for NPCs and rolling death saves. You can enable that and it will auto roll them for you on the creatures turn.

When it is DEAD, you should get a red button on the combat tracker you can click to delete them and it will also remove the token from the map reducing clutter.

I don't do death saves for NPCs so as soon as they are DEAD I just delete them and the tracker stays nice and tidy.

Hope that answers what you were looking for.

dmkevin
February 16th, 2016, 22:04
I didn't have that question I thought, but i am really glad I read the answers.

Thanks guys

Nebs
February 16th, 2016, 22:21
Thanks everyone, glad to be part of the community, my players and I are loving Fantasy Grounds.

I personally don't like rolling death saves for NPCs either, it seems too time consuming to me, but my players like the concept. I've enabled CT: Auto Death Rolls, but a death save is not rolled when a dying creature's turn comes around.

I actually prefer leaving the creature on the map when it is dead, for the aforementioned reasons of it being recognized as difficult terrain and what-such.

Nebs
February 16th, 2016, 22:22
Managed to double post, may the internet never be without them.

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2016, 22:26
I'm looking for ways to handle creature's death in combat.

I can't seem to figure out how to bring a creature's status to DEAD without it having wounds applied 3 times after it received the Dying status. Is there a way to roll a creature's death saving throws and track them like players do, and/or a way to manually set this super secret field of "Status:"?
In addition, is there a way to skip a "Status: DEAD" creature's turn, without hiding the creature? I'd rather the token stay on the map, so it can be recognized as difficult terrain, be used as cover, be used as a weapon, or depending on what magic is available, revived and resume combat.

Hi Nebs and welcome to the community.

Despite what you were told above there is no death saving throw for NPCs. There is an option which allows for automatic death saving throws of player characters which can be 'on' (and FG will make the save) or 'off' in which case the Player makes the roll for his character.

There isn't a way to have a corpse litter the battlefield automatically when an NPC dies. Most people just remove them but if you want to leave them on then that's fine too. When it comes to the dead NPC's turn it won't skip automatically (unless you make them invisible and turn on skip invisible tokens - but that's not what you want). However you can just ignore their turn - you don't have to roll anything - just press the next actor button and move the initiative tracker onto the next actor.

Nebs
February 16th, 2016, 22:31
Thanks Zacchaeus, that's what I was hoping for. Perhaps I'll just make "corpse" tokens and drag those into place where a creature had died.

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2016, 22:36
Thanks Zacchaeus, that's what I was hoping for. Perhaps I'll just make "corpse" tokens and drag those into place where a creature had died.

Indeed, that is another option.

jshauber
February 16th, 2016, 22:50
Despite what you were told above there is no death saving throw for NPCs.

That is what happens when I am not at the computer to verify what I am saying...

I could have sworn that was an option.

Sorry for the confusion.

drakonin
February 18th, 2016, 05:47

Another option is to turn the token sideways using the mouse wheel, I started off doing this for things like prone and the like but stopped once my players got the hang of everything and now I just delete them on death/dying.

Griogre
February 18th, 2016, 18:02
That's how I do it as well, turn the token sideways for prone PCs and monsters, turn it upside down for unconscious or dying PCs - but for NPCs or monsters I just delete them off combat tracker and map.