PDA

View Full Version : Forcing a die roll outcome for PC's

Niles
February 16th, 2016, 00:35
I just read that there is an extension that allows the GM to roll a specific die roll result. Is there any way to input a number from the GM's end when the PC's roll so they wouldn't know that the GM "loaded" the dice on their end? There have been a few situations where I've wanted or needed the PC's to roll a certain number (mainly critical hits) to end a battle sooner. I know I could just give the opponent less HP, but sometimes I'm looking to reward the player by allowing them to make the killing blow by rolling a crit, i.e., a magic item that would kill on a "20". I did read that it would work for a PC if they use the same FG "attack" action code but I'm looking to have it happen so the PC's think the number that comes up is really one that they rolled.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2016, 00:39
I just replied to your post in the original thread.

It's possible, but would have timing issues. I really wouldn't recommend it - just kill the BBEG off yourself. Don't mess with players rolls, if they find out you're doing it they'll never 100% trust their rolls in future. Plus, they'll still see the die roll land on a different number than what the result shows anyway. You can't force code what number the 3D will land on.

Niles
February 16th, 2016, 00:44

It's possible, but would have timing issues. I really wouldn't recommend it - just kill the BBEG off yourself. Don't mess with players rolls, if they find out you're doing it they'll never 100% trust their rolls in future. Plus, they'll still see the die roll land on a different number than what the result shows anyway. You can't force code what number the 3D will land on.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if anyone would reply to the other thread, that's why I started this one. This is really an option I would use very seldom, like in boss battles when I need the outcome to come out a certain way by a specific player. But it sounds like a coding nightmare.

Niles
February 16th, 2016, 00:52

Trenloe, one last question. It looks like in the other thread, you did say it is possible for PC's to do this if they use the same FG attack action code. So if the DM adds the extension, do the players have access to it too?

Trenloe
February 16th, 2016, 01:09
Trenloe, one last question. It looks like in the other thread, you did say it is possible for PC's to do this if they use the same FG attack action code. So if the DM adds the extension, do the players have access to it too?
No, the players don't have access to it as is. There would need to be additional code added to the extension to allow players to use it to enter the results of their own dice rolls. See the "gotchas" section under screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28235-manual-entry-dice-dialog-box-possible&p=252683&viewfull=1#post252683