PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing spells and unconsciousness

arkanis
February 15th, 2016, 09:45
This is a 5e rules question, but I can't find a suitable answer anywhere else.
What happens to ongoing spells like Mirror Image, Spirit weapon, Bless (cast on the would be unconscious character by another caster), etc.. when the character falls to 0 hp or dies?

Zacchaeus
February 15th, 2016, 10:55
Mirror Image can only be cast on self and there's nothing in the spell which talks about concentration so it would remain until the spell ends.

Spiritual Weapon requires the caster to move it or attack with it so if they died they wouldn't be able to do that so the spiritual weapon would just hang there until the spell ended.

Bless requires concentration so if the caster died or fell unconscious concentration is broken. If a recipient died or fell unconscious the spell would remain on them (which would be good since they would benefit from the Bless on their death saving throw).

arkanis
February 15th, 2016, 11:22
Thank you Zacchaeus for the quick reply.
Let me take another round of questions:
AFAIK damage forces a concentration check and the any condition that incapacitates a character automatically ends concentration.
What else forces a concentration check? I find that being knocked down prone, being restrained or frightened should force a check, but I don't know if works like that RAW.

Zacchaeus
February 15th, 2016, 12:19
You'll find the concentration rules in the Spellcasting section of the PHB. So, apart from taking damage nothing else forces a concentration check unless the DM decides that one is needed. If you want to rule that being knocked prone, being restrained and being frightened also requires a check then by all means do so; but the RAW don't specifically say so.