PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Collaborating with FG

SpectreNZ
February 15th, 2016, 01:02
Hi all.

So our weekly group is taking a break from our current epic campaign so our DM can focus on other stuff for a month or so.

Current proposal is to timeshare the DM duty based on the storytelling game where each person tells a different part of the story. Discussion is to tell your part of the story over a fixed number of sessions following on from what the person before you created and ending with an obvious 'hook' for the next person to start from.

My question is: what is the best method for collaborating on a campaign with FG? Bearing in mind that we will need to be passing everything from hand to hand, including tokens and so on.

Thanks in advance

damned
February 15th, 2016, 01:54
Hi Spectre - what rulesystem will you be using?

SpectreNZ
February 15th, 2016, 01:56
Hi Damned! Our default choice would be 3.5e because it's that which we are most familiar with. However if you thought the idea would be simplified by the use of a different ruleset we would definitely take that into consideration. Thanks.

damned
February 15th, 2016, 02:04
Hi SpectreNZ.

The core elements of 3.5e ship with FG - as in the character classes, equipment, spells and monsters. This is all SRD/OGL material which is why it can be included.
Pathfinder and 5e both have similar SRD/OGL material available and both probably have more material available than 3.5e but stick with what you ae comfortable with.

Each person who is GM will need one of the following scenarios:

Ultimate License (outright or subscription) and players dont need a license
Full License (outright or subscription) and all players will similarly need a license themselves

As you plan to swap the GM role the best way would be either:

1. Current GM takes out a $10/month ultimate subscription and cancels it when it is no longer her turn. the incoming GM picks up an ultimate license a month or so before her turn so she can start preparing.
2. Each person gets a full license (outright or subscription)

You cant buy an ultimate license outright and pass it between you as that violates the license agreement.

In the GMs Fantasy Grounds data location she will find a \campaigns folder and that will contain a folder for your campaign. When its time to pass the baton copy that folder to the new GMs computer and she will be able to load the game right where it left off and start adding her own stuff to it. The alias will change and the new GM will need to do the port forwarding etc but that is all straight forward.

SpectreNZ
February 15th, 2016, 02:09
Hi Damned,

Sorry, I should have made clear that we are all FG users with full licence or greater, so that side of things is covered.

Thank you for the other information - will everything transfer with the campaign? We were in some doubt as to whether characters etc would need to be exported as well? What do you mean by alias?

damned
February 15th, 2016, 02:16
if you transfer the whole campaign directory that will transfer everything. actually not true. if you have any additional modules they wont transfer in that folder - they would be found in the /modules folder (dont share copyright stuff) and you might find the same with some tokens - these might be on the GMs /tokens folder. characters will transfer using this method.

the alias is that funny 4 word code that you use to connect to the GMs game session (eg insane hook puny ogre)

SpectreNZ
February 15th, 2016, 02:19
Aha, thanks.

We use hamachi so it'll be the IP that changes.

damned
February 15th, 2016, 02:37
i transferred a skeleton campaign to someone over the weekend. these are the instructions I gave them. I was using no additional modules but was using two extensions.

Download this and unzip it in your \campaigns directory.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uo5x5ga5ow6tid4/DWShare.zip?dl=0
Download these two and place them in your \extensions directory
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p0il9hrhp4fr1u/FGHorde.ext?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uz06td5vzfxqks/MoreCore.ext?dl=0

Restart FG and choose Load Campaign and choose DWShared and you should get a good starting point for running a FG session or six for Dungeon World.

i did a test and confirmed all the characters, story, npcs etc were all present.