PDA

View Full Version : Player or DM

Cthulhu2020
February 15th, 2016, 00:00
I am a somewhat experienced 5e player that has yet to play on fantasy grounds. I would prefer to be a player as a means to learn FG but it seems there is a shortage of GM's so I am considering learning that role. A friend recommended starting with the Lost Mines of Phandelver. Reading through it has me interested but I am hesitant to start a group and then not know how to work the program as a new GM, thus aggravating other people.
So are there any group willing to take on a 5e player or interest in starting a new campaign as a learning experience?
I have skype and a cam.
I can play weekday evenings and some weekends. Time can be flexible outside of my class schedule.

4nzkiwi
February 15th, 2016, 01:48
Have you DM'd before, if not on FG? My friends and I are looking for a new dm after ours stopped contacting us completely after a month break.

Cthulhu2020
February 15th, 2016, 01:51
No I have not, but am willing to learn out of necessity.

damned
February 15th, 2016, 02:06
Heya Cthulhu2020. If you are up front about your experience level and let people know its new to you as well they will be understanding and will generally be learning together with you. If you cant get in on a game (hopefully you got in that session tonight) an adventure like the Lost Mines of Phandelver is a really good start and will make the learning curve easier.

ninjajoe99
February 17th, 2016, 00:58
you could always try some quick and easy one-offs. the canned adventures like the one you named should be good too. i'm new to FG as well and my brother has never used it and is interested in jumping in. so that's 2 willing to learn this as we go.

Vantier
February 25th, 2016, 02:27
I am in the same boat. I am completely new to FG, and have very limited experience with D&D in general, but really looking to get into it. I have considered doing DM and even starting a stream at some point, but i was really hoping to learn the player dynamics before I wasted any ones time lol.

If you are willing, Id like to join, and maybe we can take turns on DMing one shot campaigns or figuring something out with a small group.

Send me a PM and we can see what availability looks like? I am more than willing to learn as we go.

Cthulhu2020
February 25th, 2016, 03:39
You are exactly the type I had in mind when I considered starting a campaign, learn together. I started Adventures League again so I am no longer looking for groups but it is good to know people are there for future games.

Vuroth
February 25th, 2016, 14:44
I'm in a similar boat. I'm not sure I understand the 4E or 5E rules well enough to DM, yet, and have no experience with FG. That said, DMing is something I am very keen to move towards.

Ideally, I think I'd like to apprentice/observe/co-DM a game before I took one on on my own.