PDA

View Full Version : (DnD) Iconic Demon Idol 3d printed for tabletop

Vishera
February 14th, 2016, 21:41

A little backstory: David Trampier: 1954-2014
Trampier’s best-known work is the 1978 cover of the first-ever Player’s Handbook—the one manual every D&D player must own. It depicts adventurers cleaning up after a successful battle against lizardmen; men pry giant gems from the eye sockets of a demonic idol, a tough guy wipes lizard blood off his sword and warriors consult a map leading to their next conquest. In a 2011 survey of Trampier’s work, fantasy author Saladin Ahmed praised the cover as “arguably the most iconic piece of art in all of RPGdom.”
This 3d print of the statue Immortalizes the art of Trampier. I know there's a UK company that sells tabletop statues but Its more fun having printed it myself ^_^

I've seen this statue on the cover of the AD&D Player's Handbook as well as page 125 of the 2nd edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide. I've also seen a pretty awesome poster printed on canvas (which I intend to order eventually) depicting a huge bar fight with iconic DND characters in a bar fight with the same statue in the background. 13039 You may recognize this print.

I intend to print it 3x larger so I can clean it up better, print the flame in clear and solder in a flickering LED. Finally painting the statue and using it for IRL tabletop games!

damned
February 14th, 2016, 22:09
crazy man!

TMO
February 15th, 2016, 05:17
Good old D.A.T. His and Jeff Dee's work inspired me so much. Modern RPG art is so rich and detailed, but there is something about their iconic line art that still reaches the inner adventurer more than most high-resolution work. My FG avatar is taken from one of Jeff's illustrations.

chanceboon
February 15th, 2016, 17:51
I love it! I always thought it looked like an evil Buddha on the cover, now the printing...awesome!

Vishera
February 15th, 2016, 19:22
Good old D.A.T. His and Jeff Dee's work inspired me so much. Modern RPG art is so rich and detailed, but there is something about their iconic line art that still reaches the inner adventurer more than most high-resolution work. My FG avatar is taken from one of Jeff's illustrations.

I agree. There's a third party publisher called Necromancer games that makes first edition styled adventures for 5th edition and the artwork looks just like the same line work done and first edition books. It definitely hits the nostalgia.

gaara6666
February 20th, 2016, 23:05
oh my god so much want