PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate license error in 3.1.6 (worked fine in 3.1.5)

Sammy
February 14th, 2016, 10:21
CASE SOLVED - Loop issue at ISP nothing to do with Fantasy Grounds

Hi

No free clients can connect to my server after 3.1.6 update. Worked fine when we did the characters yesterday on 3.1.5.

Scenario

Ultimate license 3.1.6 running as admin in windows 10
Free client on laptop on local LAN 3.1.6 as admin on windows 10 - does not work
Free client from 2 other outside the LAN locations - does not work
All above worked yesterday.

Portforwarding is ok, AVs turned off, game cache cleared, clients running as admin etc...

Error is: Network error during host license check.

Since it worked yesterday nothing has changed in the network or on the computers.

Gonna try a reinstall soon - game session is T-3 hours away.

Best Regards

Sammy

Sammy
February 14th, 2016, 10:35
Testing:

Switched from Ultimate to full license key in Settings (I have Full + Ultimate Upgrade licenses) - re download all modules in update - free license can now connect and server switches to Demo mode.

This means it has connection to FG Servers and gets the propper reply back.

/Sammy

Mask_of_winter
February 14th, 2016, 10:39
Your Ultimate license isn't recognized. Make sure you have entered the right key in the right place. If the upper right corner of the splash page doesn't say Ultimate 3.1.6 it didn't work.

Sammy
February 14th, 2016, 10:41
Testing:

Switched back to ultimate - redownload everything - it correctly states Ultimate version - DOES NOT WORK

Please note this worked fine yesterday with 3.1.5.

Note 2 - I dont have a Ultimate License straight on according to steam but an upgrade to Ultimate license. I dont know if this makes any difference. This "upgrade license" is entered into Settings under license key (Lite to Full key is bland).

As see above testing FG sevrers must be reporting back my ultimate license is invalid or a bug in 3.1.6.

/Sammy

Mask_of_winter
February 14th, 2016, 10:54
Does it say success or failure when you run a connection test?

Sammy
February 14th, 2016, 11:08
Does it say success or failure when you run a connection test?

Hmm Failiure - however 1802 port is forwarded fine AND I just tested to connect from Outside the LAN on my Laptop using 4G connection on my phone and Full license = No issues

/Sammy

Mask_of_winter
February 14th, 2016, 11:13
I know you said you checked your AV but sometimes a hidden AV or firewall is the cause. The update might have reset your list of trusted applications.

QuizicalWiz
February 23rd, 2016, 06:30
Hmm Failiure - however 1802 port is forwarded fine AND I just tested to connect from Outside the LAN on my Laptop using 4G connection on my phone and Full license = No issues

/Sammy

did you gt this issue solved my players seems to have a similar issue with port forwarding

damned
February 23rd, 2016, 09:50
Hi QuizicalWiz my offer is still open...

Sammy
February 23rd, 2016, 10:58
did you gt this issue solved my players seems to have a similar issue with port forwarding

Yes however it was an error at the ISP and had nothing to do with Fantasy Grounds.

Basically the free/demo clients connecting to the host could not verify the hosts license as the fantasy grounds license servers were not reachable from the particular ISP of all my players. 4 Support calls later the issue was solved at the ISP end.

Oh and user Damned above helped out to narrow down the possible problem areas as well. Aussie aussie aussie :)

/Sammy

QuizicalWiz
February 24th, 2016, 15:41
sounds good what was the error at the isp?

Sammy
February 24th, 2016, 19:06
sounds good what was the error at the isp?

As far as we could see the connection could not get out of a loop between "nodes" in Stockholm, most likely this was affecting more users then just us.
We could verify it worked with another ISP so it wasnt anything with the main entry point routers into Sweden.

The trick was to be able to get hold of someone who was not a moron at the ISP support on a Sunday.

/Sammy

Nylanfs
February 24th, 2016, 19:08
Did you try using the secret tech support code word (https://xkcd.com/806/)?

Sammy
February 24th, 2016, 19:19
Did you try using the secret tech support code word (https://xkcd.com/806/)?

Haha no, the trick with this particular ISP/Telco is to be on the level just below using the F word. I used to deal with them a lot before through my work and actually got it confirmed by a support-person there that they have been told by management not to transfer issues higher up the chain unless people get upset. Its the only main telco in Sweden that has outsourced all support to a 3rd party, even business critical support.

Calmly explaining (and sometimes doing the idiot checklists) works for all others just fine.

/Sammy