PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to set the language of the speaker?

BubbaGrim
February 14th, 2016, 09:48
I know how to set the speaker so the message appears attached to their name, now is there a way to set the language of the speaker? I'd like to have an NPC say something in different language and my fear is that I will forget to set the language manually and the message will come across as plain text.

Thanks in advance
Bubba

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 11:04
No you can't attach a language to a speaker. You will have to make sure that you have set the language that you want to output before your NPC says whatever they are going to say.

Andraax
February 14th, 2016, 17:35
I'd like to have an NPC say something in different language and my fear is that I will forget to set the language manually and the message will come across as plain text.

I did that in a game recently. I said "oh well, so-and-so (one of the characters that knew the language) translates for you..."

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 17:54
If I want someone to speak something specific in a language then I will prepare the speech bubble before hand in the story and above it I will type a reminder to change the language so that I don't forget.

BubbaGrim
February 14th, 2016, 19:38
Thanks Zacc, that's what I'll do.

bigbluepaw
February 17th, 2016, 14:54
I have a related question. I have prepared some speech text in a story entry. To get that to be spoken in a different language, do I just change the language selection in the chat window?

Trenloe
February 17th, 2016, 14:55
I have a related question. I have prepared some speech text in a story entry. To get that to be spoken in a different language, do I just change the language selection in the chat window?
Yes.

Andraax
February 17th, 2016, 17:44

Yes; but make sure that you have a "speaker" assigned. If it's a speech bubble with no speaker, then it will not use the language selection.

Varsuuk
February 28th, 2016, 23:43
On related subject (Using 5e with all core books), how do I add or modify the content of the language combobox above the chat bar.
I am using the idea of FR human languages like Thayan and Rashemi

(hey... why is Aglarondan not mentioned in PHB anymore as "FR local dialects" but the other related tongues are - did something happen to Aglarond to end this since 2E days?)

I presume there may be some easy way to add the language name then hope some way to attach an existing "gibbrish" font? to it.
If not, then extension search or creation seems only way right?

Trenloe
February 29th, 2016, 00:07
On related subject (Using 5e with all core books), how do I add or modify the content of the language combobox above the chat bar.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Options#Languages

I presume there may be some easy way to add the language name then hope some way to attach an existing "gibbrish" font? to it.
If not, then extension search or creation seems only way right?
You're limited to the built in fonts, unless you use an extension to add fonts, like this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-)

damned
February 29th, 2016, 00:11
G to Options -> Languages and hack away at it...

Varsuuk
February 29th, 2016, 01:39
AWESOME figured there'd be such a thing...

Ummm... this has happened to me several time when editing character sheet like hitting Backspace and it going HOGWILD with my "deadman's finger" and deleting prior lines before I noticed.

Did same here editing one and THINK all I deleted was half of the word "Aby[ssal?]" but not sure - is there a way to see what SHOULD be there by default? :( I feel oopsish...

Other question I had from before was if anyone know if the languages listed in the Sword Coast Adventures I bought lists the only "canon" languages?

My first character is an ex-Thayvian slave from Aglarond (My knowledge of FR stops pretty much in 2E years). Back in the day, Aglarondans some spoke Aglarondan, Mulhorondi, Rashemi, etc Since they are not an "ethnicity" but a nation, the SCA does not list them. But regardless of their mix of Rashemi and Mulan etc ethnicities etc, did they lost their language in some 3E/4E "SpellplaguerySunderingding"? Or for all I know, it was buried under a falling Netherial Brothel... I'm only just returning...

Trenloe
February 29th, 2016, 01:49
is there a way to see what SHOULD be there by default?
Load up a new campaign.

Varsuuk
February 29th, 2016, 01:51
Ah - options are per Campaign, makes sense of course. Thank you.