PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of New Orleans.... WiP

MadBeardMan
February 13th, 2016, 23:17
It's been a bit quiet around here recently from me and whilst I've been working away on the Traveller conversion I needed a break from all the fun that entails.

So I've picked up the CoC conversion bug again and am busily converting Secrets of New Orleans. Now I chose this one as I ran a game using it a good few years ago and I wanted to read the updated book - so why not do that and convert it.

The main Sourcebook will be a Library, and I'll be converting the introductory scenario contained within it, as a separate module.

Here's a few screen shots:

Still let to do, complete the copying in of the text, format it all, then add in links to pictures/floorplans/maps and then finally add in the NPC's. Shouldn't be too bad just need a good block of time.

Cheers
Colin

damned
February 14th, 2016, 11:43
Woot MadBeardMan!
I took some time out of other things and started the group on a short run through the Miskatonic Valley last night!
The investigators - quite a motley crew - made excellent progress so far.
I need to run some more Cthulhu :)

MadBeardMan
February 14th, 2016, 12:57
Woot MadBeardMan!
I took some time out of other things and started the group on a short run through the Miskatonic Valley last night!
The investigators - quite a motley crew - made excellent progress so far.
I need to run some more Cthulhu :)

Nice to hear that, I wish I was in your Country so that I could play as well.... back on this at the moment...

MadBeardMan
February 14th, 2016, 16:54
So all text is copied over, most images are exported and so now it's time to start formatting and adding in all the various NPC's etc.....

Here's another quick screeny of a WiP setup (see if I like it, quite do).

MadBeardMan
February 17th, 2016, 23:39
And that's the Sourcebook all done.... now to get the Scenario all done, that shouldn't take too long as it's not huge, it's called 'Twilight of the Fifth Sun'.

So thinking about what to do next, I could do Secrets of San Francisco or continue with Beyond the Mountains of Madness.... decisions, decisions!

Trenloe
February 17th, 2016, 23:41
I've been using the new 3.1.6 formatting options to lay the pages out a bit better
Looks great. :)

What is the syntax for the new formatting options?

MadBeardMan
February 19th, 2016, 01:11
And we're done... phew.

Onto Secrets of San Francisco now.... well, bed first - that tomorrow.

Sjelsyk
February 19th, 2016, 21:42
This looks great! :) When is this coming for sale?

I see you mentioned "Beyond The Mountains of Madness"... I'd love to see the BtMoM in Fantasy Grounds down the road.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2016, 21:46
Indeed, great work. :)

Trenloe
February 19th, 2016, 21:46
When are we going to see "Secrets of Sheffield"? :)

Metzik
February 20th, 2016, 08:07
Sorry, n00b..... How does the convertion job work anyway? You transfer all the information from book to the computer? Is anyone able to buy them after the convertion?

damned
February 20th, 2016, 08:11
Yes - these conversions will all make their way into the FG store - filter the store list by ruleset and you will see the many CoC modules there.
Conversions are usually done by consulting with ddavison first and there is a standard commission for doing the conversion.

Metzik
February 20th, 2016, 08:13
Thats amazing, I guess it takes a while to transfer the data from book to computer.

MadBeardMan
February 20th, 2016, 18:31
Indeed, great work. :)

Cheers :)

This looks great! :) When is this coming for sale?

I see you mentioned "Beyond The Mountains of Madness"... I'd love to see the BtMoM in Fantasy Grounds down the road.

It's in final Editing, and should be in the store once it's been checked.

As for Beyond the Mountains (BtMoM) it's already being done, about 1/10th at the moment.... but next is 'Secrets of San Francisco' and then BtMoM :)

Cheers
Colin

When are we going to see "Secrets of Sheffield"? :)

Haha very funny, yes one day I might write it....

MadBeardMan
February 27th, 2016, 13:57
Been stuck with RL work recently, and alas away for work first half of next week, but once I return I can hopefully sort out the few niggles I have and get this baby over to Doug for it going onto the new Store...

MadBeardMan
March 5th, 2016, 22:28
And that's it, wrapped it all up and off to Doug it goes!

One down, one more to go, so will create a WIP thread of San Francisco....

Cheers

Sjelsyk
March 6th, 2016, 12:39
Again, good job - it looks amazing. New Orleans seems to be a good place to bring the investigators on their next adventure.

MadBeardMan
March 6th, 2016, 12:50
Again, good job - it looks amazing. New Orleans seems to be a good place to bring the investigators on their next adventure.

Cheers chap.

Normally I prefer doing straight out scenarios (House of R'Lyeh was good fun), but noticed the lack of source books. I've always wanted to visit New Orleans - so why not visit it via Call of Cthulhu.

Sjelsyk
March 6th, 2016, 13:15
Yeah, I guess when doing source books, and well - in general anything which will be in the Library, there seems to be a lot more work involved.

I've been looking into it somewhat because I'd really like to have the Investigator's Companion in Fantasy Grounds (after being done with the scenario I'm working on at the moment), but I must admit from what I've found out it seems quite intimidating - though maybe somewhere down the track.

It's great to see that there's people dedicated to the CoC ruleset though. I was a bit afraid when I started with Fantasy Grounds that all the focus was towards D&D and that I'd have to settle for half-digital sessions (since time doesn't always allow me to copy/paste it all into FG myself). Much rather prefer to have it all in one place though rather than bits and pieces in books and the rest on the screen.

MadBeardMan
March 6th, 2016, 13:44
Well I was going to create the 1920's Investigator's Companion as well, but if you're going to do that let me know.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/82096/1920s-Investigators-Companion?term=Investigator%27s+Companion

Sjelsyk
March 6th, 2016, 13:49
Yes, it's the same book. And well, it's a plan, but I'll shout out when/if I start on it at some point. Like I mentioned, it feels intimidating to start on it, but I guess to learn it you have to start somewhere.

MadBeardMan
March 6th, 2016, 13:52
Yes, it's the same book. And well, it's a plan, but I'll shout out when/if I start on it at some point. Like I mentioned, it feels intimidating to start on it, but I guess to learn it you have to start somewhere.

Start small, learn how to do the scenarios (they're a lot easier to create) and when you're ok for them, then start learning how to create library - there's a few guys here who will help you.

Just tell Doug what you're going to do and here when you know, so that we don't start something that you're doing, but have fun doing this stuff!

Sjelsyk
March 6th, 2016, 13:59
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm fairly confident in how to create scenarios at this point. I feel I need to work on the formatting though - not so much how formatting works in FG, but rather how to use it in a way that makes it shine.

Hector Trelane
March 6th, 2016, 20:23
It'd be great to be able to use this somehow for Deadlands Noir, which I run periodically. I don't think that's technically feasible?

damned
March 6th, 2016, 20:36
Hi guys - ianmward/Mask_of_winter/damned will be doing the Call of Cthulhu Investigator Handbook (7th ed.) which will be ready with or very soon after the 7e ruleset is released on FG.
It will be done in the same format and style of the new 7e Rulebook.

Sjelsyk
March 6th, 2016, 20:42
Hi guys - ianmward/Mask_of_winter/damned will be doing the Call of Cthulhu Investigator Handbook (7th ed.) which will be ready with or very soon after the 7e ruleset is released on FG.

Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to the release of 7e on FG!

MadBeardMan
March 7th, 2016, 00:25

Indeed - I will be converting for 7E:

Horror on the Orient Express
S.Petersen's Field Guide to Lovecraftian Horrors
Dead Light
and maybe Nameless Horrors (TBC as someone else might be doing it).

MadBeardMan
March 7th, 2016, 00:26
It'd be great to be able to use this somehow for Deadlands Noir, which I run periodically. I don't think that's technically feasible?

Not sure to be honest, as it's built for the CoC ruleset, and I believe Deadlands Noir uses CoreRPG/Savage Worlds? (Sorry don't have it).

damned
March 7th, 2016, 13:02
You could add the Savage Worlds ruleset tags... this should let the text be available but of course the NPCs would not work.

MadBeardMan
March 7th, 2016, 13:08
You could add the Savage Worlds ruleset tags... this should let the text be available but of course the NPCs would not work.

I'll ask Doug though as it's a licensed book he might not like the fact it's tagged to Savage Worlds. As for Savage Worlds - I was speaking to my SW gaming group that we should create a Cthulhu ruleset built on SW, as Investigators need all the Bennies they can get!

damned
March 7th, 2016, 13:10
Investigators can PUSH!

MadBeardMan
March 7th, 2016, 13:12
Investigators can PUSH!

and..... DIE

MadBeardMan
March 8th, 2016, 14:06
Afternoon Folks,

I got some feedback about this book, not a huge list - just a spelling mistake (that's in the PDF), and some good ideas so will be doing that this evening after I setup my new Monitor that arrived (going from 1080p to 1440p - dual monitor next month), anyway once it's all done I'll post here with some new screenies and get that over to FG.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
March 10th, 2016, 00:48
Morning (well it's 00:48 so technically it's morning).

Solved my final issues with the conversion, should complete it tomorrow (well today now) and get it over to FG for final checks....

Excited as that's 1 of the 3 down I want to get done in March/April.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
March 13th, 2016, 00:09
Ok final update gone back to FG, addressed all the issues found (and nice things wanted).

Here's a couple of screenies - I have a new monitor that's 1440p so these pictures are bigger.

So will get back to San Francisco, that's already converted. I'll apply the same updates that I've just done to it, get it over to Damned (if he'd be so kind) to review, and then I'll dust off Beyond the Mountains of Madness.... (but also be working on Traveller - which I want code complete for end of next month).

Cheers
MBM

martel
March 16th, 2016, 17:47
Ok final update gone back to FG, addressed all the issues found (and nice things wanted).

Here's a couple of screenies - I have a new monitor that's 1440p so these pictures are bigger.

So will get back to San Francisco, that's already converted. I'll apply the same updates that I've just done to it, get it over to Damned (if he'd be so kind) to review, and then I'll dust off Beyond the Mountains of Madness.... (but also be working on Traveller - which I want code complete for end of next month).

Cheers
MBM

nice

MadBeardMan
March 16th, 2016, 18:02
nice

Thanks chap :)

MadBeardMan
March 24th, 2016, 18:54
And it's here!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHA23114FG

and

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457470/

Enjoy :) and let me know if you have any suggestions etc.

Cheers

Trenloe
March 24th, 2016, 19:05
Very cool. Nice work.

MadBeardMan
March 24th, 2016, 23:07
Very cool. Nice work.

Thanks chap, you were one of the kind souls who helped me on my way here, so thanks for that and thanks for the comment.

Cheers
Colin