PDA

View Full Version : Monster effects in montster manual

Dragontail
February 12th, 2016, 01:06
Just a quesiton (hoping im doing something wrong)
How do I inable abilities on the monsters?

ie Displacer beast

ie Zombies roll when hit (to avoid being dead)

Griogre
February 12th, 2016, 06:07
These have to be done manually.

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2016, 10:36
The parser tries it's very best to pull together all of the effects that pertain to NPCs when they are dragged into the Combat Tracker; but not everything has a possible effect.

In the case of the Displacer beast the Displacement effect could potentially have an effect and you could potentially create one in the Combat Tracker. Right click on the effects line in the CT and add a new entry and enter GRANTDISATK. This will now give all attacks against the creature disadvantage.

As for the undead one that will have to be done completely manually. There isn't currently any way to test the conditions which would be needed in order to fire off the Undead Fortitude effect.

Dragontail
February 17th, 2016, 02:11
poop, ok thanks Zacc..
For the displacer... GRANTDISATK ? it stays on until hit then its off until creatures turn... how would I key that or would I have to reapply it on its turn manually?

LordEntrails
February 17th, 2016, 03:12
Set the duration of the effect to 0 (it defaults to 1), then it will stay as long as the displacer stays in the combat tracker.

Dragontail
February 17th, 2016, 03:42
ummm, maybe i didnt explain it correctly - or im not reading youre response in the right context.

Attack upon the displacer beast have Disadvantage until an attack hits. Then it loses this ability until its next turn.
ie 4 pc's attack beats
1-Attacks disadvantage -Misses
2-Attacks disadvantage - Hits (displacer losses ability)
3-Attacks Normal
4-Displacer goes - Ability reactivated
1-Curses his luck attacks with disadvantage again - misses
so on and so forth
If i set effect duration to 0 it will never go away? (beast is only in tracker until they kill it / they run away / it runs away / Wife tells me to stop playing and come eat)

Zacchaeus
February 17th, 2016, 09:15
Again you'll have to do it manually. As you say if you set the effect to never expend than it will never expend. As I said you could potentially create the effect but in this case it is simply far easier for the the DIS button to be pressed just before the Beastie makes an attack.

JohnD
February 19th, 2016, 03:45
Create the effect as permanent and the first time someone hits the creature, turn it off. Then turn it on again on the creature's turn.

You've got those buttons; use them.