PDA

View Full Version : Savage Swashbuckling

howfar
February 11th, 2016, 21:37
Hello

I ran a face-to-face Pirates of the Spanish Main game a few years ago, with a mainly improvised arc and a loose fantastical real-world setting. People liked it a lot. I thought I'd try something similar on here.

Savage Worlds, some minis / some descriptive play, depending on the group, flow and mood. More story and spectacle motivated than strictly following the rules. More doing than planning.

Character ideas...think disaffected Royal Navy officers, a plantation owner's adventure-hungry daughter, a governor's clerk with a dark secret, a Belgian duellist seeking to carve her name upon the Caribbean. Or just a pirate. A pirate is good.

I think VoIP would be best, to try to keep my hands free. Any suggestions for the best service to use?

I tend to prepare fairly quickly and roll with the punches - I find that it usually works best for me. If that's the sort of game you like, then this is likely to be for you.

The calendar link is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1837), so just click that if you want to join.

If you want to ask questions, please do! :)

I am suggesting Sundays, around noon-ish GMT, but can happily move it later in the day if people would prefer.

WhiteFox
February 11th, 2016, 22:42
I'd love to speak with you on skype or TS if possible. Please PM me your skype or tell me to jump on TS and I'll get on.

bigboom
February 12th, 2016, 19:56
For VoIP, the FG community's TS has always been good for me.

Out of curiosity, for something also swashbuckler-y but more musketeer-ish instead of the Caribbean piratey, have you looked at the "All for One: Régime Diabolique" setting?

I played a one-shot a while back during a FG-CON and it was one of the best times I've had on Savage worlds.

Daedalus
February 12th, 2016, 20:10
Too bad. If it wasn't so darn early (7:30 am) I would jump on this in a heartbeat.

howfar
February 12th, 2016, 20:31
For me, any time up to about 4pm-5pm start is fine, if that would work better for people generally.

SumoOnion
February 13th, 2016, 20:59
Hey! Very interested in this! (Finally something in GMT!)
Is this a long campaign or just a one off? And if you don't get enough players for the 14th are you planning to try again other sundays?

howfar
February 13th, 2016, 23:31
Hi! Thanks for getting in touch!

To answer your questions...

i) I intend to run as long a campaign as people seem interested in. The last campaign I ran around this skeleton was about a year of roughly weekly games - 3-4 hour sessions face to face.

ii) I will try other Sundays.

It looks like we've got two for tomorrow, so I will run the server from about noon GMT and mainly do character generation and working out connections, preferences, motivations, those sorts of things. I'll work out how to use TeamSpeak for this (I've not used it in years...)

Cheers!

SumoOnion
February 14th, 2016, 09:25
I'll try to make it for the character creation then! Through all this valentines day stuff that is :)

howfar
February 14th, 2016, 21:27
Well, I ran character creation with SumoOnion today, and will try again for a session next week. I have scheduled it for 2:00pm GMT, which might be a bit more convenient for some people, but I think we'll have to see.

The first addition to our merry band of rogues is Stinkin' Stu Screed, a hearty sea-dog and branded outlaw, known for his quick fists and quicker tongue - sometimes a bit too quick for his own good, perhaps...

Let me know if you wish to face, with Stu at your side, the perils and pleasures of the balmy Carib seas.

Regall Dorn
February 15th, 2016, 00:18
Well I wish you the best of luck and I love the pirate theme, but even at your 2 GMT that converts to 6am PST here. I'm afraid that is a little too early for me.

howfar
February 16th, 2016, 19:39
Ah well, maybe we can buckle our swashes again at some point in the future.

It looks like we're up to at least two players now...so nearly there!

Daedalus
February 17th, 2016, 14:41
It looks like the game is 9am my time which isn't bad. Just curious: How long do you play?

howfar
February 17th, 2016, 19:07
I usually reckon on about a 3 hour session, including starting, concluding and the like. However, I tend to take a pragmatic approach, depending on what's actually happening during a session and people's lives.

howfar
February 21st, 2016, 00:30
A final call for players for tomorrow.

We already have two bold and trusty hands on our crew, each ready for feats of martial skill, trickery and derring-do!

Or so they hope...

Dare you join our heroes, Stinkin' Stu and his soon-to-be shipmate Jobob Jones, spoken of in whispers as 'The Bloody Brute'?

Pluck up your telescope and roll-out your charts. There are seas to be sailed. Will you take the plunge?

Daedalus
February 21st, 2016, 05:02
I was kind of hoping we would wait until we had all the players before we start. I still need to put together a character and won't be ready to play tomorrow. I can be ready by next Sunday.

howfar
February 21st, 2016, 10:44
Hi! That's not a problem from my perspective. :)

In that case, I think I'm going to run a prequel session this week, and work up some background with the players who can start today.

Accordingly, I think we should start the main campaign time-frame next week, as we should have 4 players then, including yourself, by the look of things.

Hope this makes sense and seems sensible! :)

Mr.GummyBear
February 21st, 2016, 22:57
We had a nice prequel session today !!! Our pirates seem like a good team, while ''Stu'' tend to take the straight up approuch we seem to handle things quite fine haha. (Those brawlers didn't stood a chance).
Nice evening with a chill team of players :). Not to mention our incredible GM of course ;).

howfar
February 23rd, 2016, 21:42
Thank you! I certainly enjoyed myself, although I am still a bit rusty on actually using FGII. I'll get quicker with practice, I'm sure. :)

And so, let the annals record that four buccaneering, backsliding, ribald and rowdy pirates have emerged from the murk of the humid Caribbean night, and now stand clear before us (in alphabetical order...):

Hymbade: Clever, nimble Hymbade is the only native son of these islands among the crew. The events of his youth define his future, and perhaps his doom, but for now his arrows and his mind are swift, sharp and deadly.

Jacob 'Bloody Brute' Jones: A lifelong mariner and stalwart of many a pirate crew, this imposing figure has few friends, but he is never alone; with his trusty hawk on his shoulder and his trademark axe in hand, he has all the company he needs.

Stinkin' Stu Screed: Some say he's a loudmouth. Others are too busy trying to shut him up to comment. But somehow people can't help but like him, generally to their cost.

Thaddeus 'Rum Drunk' Flint: An arch rationalist, perhaps this seafaring sawbones would be the level-headed member of the crew, were it not for his penchant for strong drink. Some suggest he drinks to forget his past, yet he always seems to be looking over his shoulder...

SumoOnion
February 23rd, 2016, 22:01
Haha, I'm loving our characters for this!

Can't wait for more "Stu' specials" next sunday!

Skillkoil
February 24th, 2016, 17:03
Can't wait for Sunday to roll around. Hymbade has many things on his mind.

Daedalus
February 25th, 2016, 18:42
I'm still working on a character idea. I will let you know when I get it figured out

Skillkoil
February 28th, 2016, 02:32
Well I wrote my background up on the notes section of my character tonight and if you look on the notes on the right hand side there is a public note describing what Hymbade's appearance is. I can't wait to meet everyone proper tomorrow as Hymbade. See you soon!

Skillkoil
February 28th, 2016, 14:51
The server is up but the alias isn't working but I can give the rest of the players the connection info on teamspeak

bigboom
March 4th, 2016, 18:01
I'll be traveling for work this weekend but still plan on joining. If I don't make it, however, it'll be due to the lack of a decent hotel internet connection.

howfar
March 5th, 2016, 23:46
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good WiFi, but obviously no worries if it isn't doable. Cheers!

bigboom
March 20th, 2016, 05:15
Hope you're pretty much fully recovered, howfar!

Are we on for this Sunday (Mar 20) at our normal time? (currently 10am on the US east coast and 2pm in the UK)

On the calendar, we've got two yes votes so far. Stinkin Stu and Bloody Brute, are you two in this Sunday?

And just checking... Is our group currently full or do we still have space for a fifth?

bigboom
March 20th, 2016, 15:08
Skillkoil and BackOnTrack, the rest of us are currently online now if you're both still available today. If yes, just hop onto TS and FG!!

SumoOnion
April 24th, 2016, 17:31
Hello, I'll just bump this post to let people know that we are currently looking for players. And! as a player of this game I can assure you that it is amazing fun and generally a great experience!

Daedalus
April 25th, 2016, 14:12
Hello, I'll just bump this post to let people know that we are currently looking for players. And! as a player of this game I can assure you that it is amazing fun and generally a great experience!

When and what day is the game?

SumoOnion
April 25th, 2016, 14:25
When and what day is the game?

The calendar link in the main post is still the active calendar for the game.
But next session is May 1st 2 pm GMT+1.

Daedalus
April 25th, 2016, 14:30
The calendar link in the main post is still the active calendar for the game.
But next session is May 1st 2 pm GMT+1.

Yeah, it looks like 9am EST for me which isn't a deal breaker but may or may not work for me. I will give it some thought. If when I am done if I want to play and the spot is still there, then it will have been meant to be

howfar
June 18th, 2016, 21:48
Hey swashcats, just a quick note to say I am not dead, but my broadband won't be running until midweek, so I'll schedule something for next weekend and we can try to pick it up from there!

Also what did they do to the campaign calendar? I can't use it at all on Android at the moment. It's a complete dog's breakfast.

bigboom
June 19th, 2016, 08:54
Heya howfar! Hope the move is going well. I'm traveling for a few weeks so won't be able to join any games in the near future. I believe I'll be able to restart on July 10 though.

As for the calendar, I have the same problem. To get around it, I go directly to this URL:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/

Undead_Dragon
July 3rd, 2016, 02:38
Been a while. Hope everything is going well with you guys. Any updates?

bigboom
July 9th, 2016, 02:08
Hi guys!

I'll be able to start up again from July 24th onwards.

I also might be able to join this Sunday, July 10 if there's a session.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for word of the game starting back up again!

howfar
July 9th, 2016, 18:31
Apologies for going AWOL! Things got a bit complicated after my move and I'm only just getting sorted again. Thought it was going to be simpler, but it was not... so, yes, sorry.

I'm going to schedule a session for next Sunday (17th July), where we can pick up from the characters return to the real world.

Hope we can get back into it after my extended absence!

bigboom
July 10th, 2016, 01:13
Good to hear from you, howfar! Sorry to hear about the complications though... Hope that's all more or less sorted now!

I won't be able to join on the 17th but can start up again the week after on the 24th!

Undead_Dragon
July 17th, 2016, 14:15
Waiting for you in the room GM :D

howfar
July 19th, 2016, 20:19
I am confused! You did not log on to the FGII server! I was waiting there. :(

Oh well. I've scheduled a game for next week, and will log on to TeamSpeak as well as FGII. Hopefully we can pick things up from there, as bigboom has said he'll be around.

bigboom
July 20th, 2016, 22:07
Hi guys. Unfortunately I can't make the 24th due to a family thing. Sorry about that, especially since we've been on hiatus for quite a while.

However, if it works for everyone else, I believe I can do the same time on Saturday, the 23rd instead.

Otherwise, I should be good for our usual time slot on the 31st!

Undead_Dragon
July 24th, 2016, 02:44
Power was cut from a area around me after I posted that. Didn't have power for around 24 hours. People had to fix things on the power poles. x3 I'm up for tomorrows game hopefully. lol