PDA

View Full Version : New and LFG/Help

Vantier
February 11th, 2016, 05:46
Hello All,

I remember playing D&D tabletop back when I was a kid, but it has been YEARS. I just got a kick of nostalgia talking about the good old days, and stumbled upon FG. I have watched a few tutorial videos, and am extremely excited to get started. My only draw backs are that I have no one to play with, and no clue where I should start.

I would be really grateful for some pointers. I am probably looking to play D&D 5e, but open to suggestions. Really, anything D&D with a good, fun group of people would be great. If anyone has a newb group going, and doesn't mind helping someone through character creation please reach out! I am based PST, and would be able to be on 7pm most evenings. More regularly would be playing Weds and Sundays.

I have the demo client now, waiting to purchase full content until I get a feel of what is going to happen. If you have any questions or advice, feel free to ask/comment.

Thank you in advance!

Lord Xtheth
February 12th, 2016, 03:50
5E is an excellent place to start, and I'm sure you can find someone who has an ultimate version to help you. Me... I'm Canadian, in Alberta... Our Dollar is down, and no one has a job, so I can't justify dropping $130 on a program right now. I'm sorry.

Vantier
February 12th, 2016, 05:32
...Our Dollar is down, and no one has a job, so I can't justify dropping $130 on a program right now. I'm sorry.

Its all good haha, I can somewhat relate.This is why I'm holding off on buying anything until I know I have some people to play with ><.

What are some pros and cons you've run into with 5e FG?

Octavious
February 12th, 2016, 17:12
Hey Vantier. I have no really cons about FG it works great and so far no real problems. I'm using 5e but since I am new also I have nothing to compare it to. But my problem was the same as yours and most people as its extremely hard to get into a game. As DM's are in short supply and the times are not good by the majority for me. I tried for a month with no success. But I'm a kind of take the bull by the horns person and tend to jump in the water and notice the alligators last. So I decided if I wanted to play ill DM instead. I'm glad I did it is a lot of fun.. something you might want to think about .

Lord Xtheth
February 12th, 2016, 17:45
What are some pros and cons you've run into with 5e FG?
Pros:
Has a lot of good game systems built in you can just play for free. 3.5, Pathfinder, 4, 5, Numenera, plus player created stuff you can download right from these forums. Plus if you're savvy, you can make your own, and share it.
Has a great system to build campaigns that's easy to learn with a couple tutorials that are easy to find.
Rolls your dice for you, calculates a lot of stuff for you, does advantage/disadvantage for you
Has a good community that's helpful
comes with players (like you) that want to play!

Cons:
You have to put a lot of stuff in by hand if you don't want to buy it (powers, items, skills, stuff)
It's just a tad bit harder to "wing it" in games. You need to have a lot prepared, including a random challenge you would normally just think of on the spot.
If you don't know Lua, or how to Par5e, things take a lot of time and effort to set up.
You need to change permission on your games files in order to save properly (An easy fix, but not really intuitive)

Ellspeth
February 12th, 2016, 17:47
Hi vantier and welcome to the community. I was new here a bit over a year ago and had never GM'd. A lot changes in a year. Since DnD5e is the newest addition to Fantasy Grounds those games are in high demand and fill quickly, so watch the threads each day for something that interests you, post to the GM on the thread and send them a message. You may also want consider checking out some one shots in the other rulesets while you look for the right game and group for you. Mask of Winter nearly always has something going, I am running a one shot next Tuesday, a few GM's here are advertising some short campaigns,mostly in Savage Worlds. Savage Worlds is about the easiest to sit down for a single game, pick up the rules and play without feeling lost by lack of experience. Some of this is done to give newer people a chance to test the waters as I said, while looking for the right game and group. If you have the demo license only those with ultimate licenses can host you, but a full license can be hosted by other full licenses etc.

MidasKing
February 12th, 2016, 17:52
Hey Vantier, I'm looking to DM a regular 5e Wednesday group and am in PST. If you're not afraid to get into character and do some RPing, we might be able to work something out. I'll send you a PM.

Trenloe
February 12th, 2016, 18:17
Cons:
If you don't know Lua, or how to Par5e, things take a lot of time and effort to set up.
Just to clarify this point. LUA is *only* needed if you want to change some of the FG underlying code. It is not needed to setup a campaign - e.g. NPCs, encounters, maps, story entries, items, PC, etc..

PAR5E (a tool to convert text into FG modules) is only needed if you want to create your own custom library modules. Whereas this might be nice, it is not necessary to play - especially if you use the standard PHB classes, races, etc. and have the "Core Class Pack" (PHB) DLC. Even if you don't have the PHB DLC you can still enter data manually within the FG interface.

But, if you're the type of person who likes to tinker with code, then LUA (for FG automation customization) and PAR5E (or XML) for library modules will be needed.