PDA

View Full Version : LFP: Resistance: Roman Britain one shot

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 15:06
Tuesday, February 16th 9:30 PM EST
Finding myself unusually short of games, and seeing so many people wanting to at least give a game a try I decided to go ahead and move my plans to do another one shot in this setting forward. The setting is Roman Britain in 44 AD, the Roman invasion is under way, most of the southern tribes have fallen, including the powerful Catellavauni. Some tribes have already allied with the Romans, indeed the Atreabates brought them over to help reclaim lands lost to the Catellevauni. Mistrust among the tribes, historical rivalries are making the Roman's job easier. However a few among the tribes see the dangers, and come together to resist the incursions by any means possible while working to unite the tribes before it is too late. Do you have what it takes to change the course of history?
For those who played in the game during FG-Daze this is an entirely different mission for our heroes, so feel free to join. I run with 3-5 players. This is very low fantasy, though the Druids have what can loosely be called magic. Heavier on historical intrigue and period combat, all weapon stats are taken from the Ultimate Roman Legion and Ultimate Celtic Guides for Savage Worlds, as well as specialized edges and hindrances for these settings.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1836 sign up on the link.

GunnarGreybeard
February 10th, 2016, 18:35
Man, I would so like to get in on a SW game so I can learn the system but I have my own game running the night after that I need to prep for. Maybe if I get my stuff done this weekend I will have time. Definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Will there be pre-gens available?

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 18:40
I do have pre-gens, I have practiced with various missions in one shots in this setting. Savage Worlds is so easy to learn you can learn as you play and not slow down the game at all really. Also there are screenshots of the version I ran the last FG-Daze on that thread, all those character were pre-gens, alos available is a young Bouddica, 20 years before the rebellion that made her famous and got her killed.

Ellspeth
February 11th, 2016, 17:53
Still room for players and plenty of time to sign up before Tuesday, this game is especially friendly to newcomers since I am a pretty new GM myself.

Ellspeth
February 13th, 2016, 12:42
Still have room for a couple of players for this one shot. One player opted to create is own character so any who would like to do so can contact me and I will set up a time for you as well.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1836

Mortar
February 13th, 2016, 22:30
I love the time period, so I would like to play. Applied on the link. I am coll with a pregen or creating my own. I have the SW rule set but don't have access to the two supplements you mentioned.

Ellspeth
February 13th, 2016, 23:10
Hi there Mortar, you are most welcome to join in, I already approved your seat. I was afraid that real history would be too niche to attract a lot of players here on FG and I have been most pleasantly surprised. I have created additions to the library modules for the Celt and Roman Guides, they haven't been created as modules you can purchase from Smiteworks yet, I bought the PDF's through RPGNow, they have a complete Ultimate collection for several different periods and looks like that add new ones every so often. In the table library I included stats for the new weapons and edges and hindrances, and assorted information regarding Celtic religion and superstition, the timelines for the Romans and such so players can peruse during spots in the game when we pause while I set up maps or during breaks. I hope you enjoy it as much as those who have tried it already have seemed to. I have 6 pre-gens available, half of them male, the other half female since the Romans were in fact given pause by the fact the Celtic women were as ferocious as the men. One player created his own because he is new and wanted to work with character creation in Savage Worlds. I am fine with either way, I have Monday evening free as well as an hour or so Tuesday night before the game, drop me a message if you would like to do that, or even just look over the library and pre-gens in advance. Look forward to meeting all of you.

damned
February 14th, 2016, 11:47
'ware the wrath of a Celtic woman!

Mortar
February 14th, 2016, 15:55
I will definitely have to check out the PDFs. I'll just link up tuesday before the game and pick one of the pre gens.

Ellspeth
February 14th, 2016, 22:30
Okay guys I'll be on the FG teamspeak tomorrow night (Mon) from 8-11pm EST if anyone wants to create a character or just get a look at what they may expect, and then of course and hour before the game Tuesday night. Those of you who haven't done so already can you go the the calendar page and click accept on the time so I can be sure everyone has it? Thanks.

Ellspeth
February 15th, 2016, 12:50
Still one seat available, and one who hasn't confirmed. This one shot is being run especially for newer people who would like to test out Fantasy Grounds while they look for a game, and I will accept drop ins at game time if we have any seats still open. Headset and the use of FG-teamspeak required.

Ellspeth
February 16th, 2016, 13:17
Okay all set for tonights game. Still have room for a last minute sign up or drop in, but plenty to run either way. It is tonight 9:30 PM EST. If you aren't sure if the time in your zone this can help. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/. For those already signed, it has been good to meet with you before the game, I am looking forward to it even more now.

Ellspeth
February 17th, 2016, 13:16
Okay thanks guys, we had a full game, several players new to Fantasy Grounds or Savage Worlds, and you still managed to get through the entire mission and succeed. I learned a few new things about the GM tools, thanks to those in the game that gave me helpful tips, each session gets easier and smoother as those things that slow me down are resolved. Ran a little longer than I had planned, but I truly enjoyed the game as GM, as the role becomes more comfortable. Thanks for the support and playing guys. I hope you had as much fun as I did.

Mortar
February 17th, 2016, 17:33
It was a lot of fun. Have to say though the ending didn't really turn out as I thought it would.

Ellspeth
February 19th, 2016, 15:39
I have started an approximately 10 session campaign in this starting tomorrow , Saturday February 20th at 7PM in GMT. You will need to check your time against the world clock, I run this through the GMD group so your time settings here won't show. We don't require membership to play in any game or campaign, we do ask you reserve your seat via the following link. https://www.gmdraeus.co.uk/?p=3029
I do have pre-gens ready, however I can take time for those who prefer to build their own character, though there are special advantages and limitations in this setting we would have to do before the game. I still have a few seats not reserved, and anyone is welcome to join in.

Skillkoil
February 19th, 2016, 16:34
I signed up on the page I am EST so I think that makes me GMT -6 so that would be 1 PM for me.

Azzza
February 25th, 2016, 18:17
Hi Elspeth

I'm pleased to meet you. I'm Azzza, Skellan's friend. I'm still fairly new to both Savage Worlds and online gaming, though not to gaming as a whole.

I'm more than happy to go for a pregen character, especially if you have one tied into chariots as I've always found them fascinating, both my undergrad and Master's degrees involved dissertations on chariots and chariot racing (though obviously primarily looking at the Roman world), but if not I would be happy with any pregen character, especially if it helps to fit in with your campaign.

Azzza

Ellspeth
February 25th, 2016, 18:37
Hey Azza, looking forward to meeting you. I have had to research several player requests in the game for historical accuracy, and have enjoyed it immensely. One of our pre-gens is a Trinovante warrior, though a female in pre-gen you can change her gender. My research indicates the Celts of Britain had chariots almost exclusively for battle, indeed one of their Kings was reputed to have a chariot made of silver that struck terror in the hearts of his enemies. Their design was substantially modified for the terrain, since the Romans had not yet built the roads they were famous for. I have worked with the character that Skellan sent me, and as new concepts come into the character creation I am taking the time to provide a few specials for the setting. One player chose to be a one eyed leatherworker, but he asked to have a dog. Research shows not only did the Celts have fine hounds, but they were so special even the Romans imported them before the invasion. So allowed. To the chariot, I will research the styles in that period and restrictions they could cause, I know they used blades extending from the wheels etc. and see if I can build something that fits well. I expect to have quite a lot of free time over the weekend, and I am happy to meet any players on teamspeak so they can either choose and refine or create their own character. Welcome aboard, I must say having people with expertise in this area will keep me on my toes for historical accuracy. Just let me know when you have time available, I am semi-retired so my time is really flexible. Once I have your character concept at least I can finish refining the campaign.

Azzza
February 25th, 2016, 19:10
Hi Elspeth

The Trinovante warrior sounds great and I'm fine with keeping the gender the same, especially if that helps with your campaign. I guess that I would be an outlaw as their territory would have already been seized by the Romans and if captured would have led to a life of slavery at best. I'm around for most of the weekend, well certainly Saturday evening and Sunday daytime. I'm in Central European Time, so I'm just an hour ahead of GMT.
I'm not an expert on the Celts as my focus has always been on the Romans themselves, but I've always found them fascinating. There was a really good three part documentary series made last year by the BBC which featured two British historians/archaeologists/presenters Neil Oliver and Alice Roberts called 'The Celts: Blood, Iron and Sacrifice' and though I've not read it, I know that Alice Roberts wrote a book to accompany the series called 'The Celts: Search for a Civilization'.

Skellan
February 25th, 2016, 22:35
'The Celts: Blood, Iron and Sacrifice'.

This sounds fun.

I am pretty open to changing my character concept to fit. Mine and Azzza's characters could be from the same tribe if it helps? (my concept by the way,is a celtic bard type character)

Ellspeth
February 25th, 2016, 22:48
LOL Skellan, if you remain Catellevauni and he remains Trinovante you are actually from hostile tribes. The Catellevauni had taken the Trinovante capital, I think it is what is now Chester but don't cite me on that, and after the defeat of the Catellevauni at the Battle of Medway the Trinovante eventually enter a truce with the Romans to regain their capital. So in addition to fighting the Roman invasion there are active inter-tribal rivalries that I will be bringing into the game. So seriously guys, I see immense potential for drama no matter which way you choose to go. I don't think I'll even warn you about Cartimandua.

Skellan
February 25th, 2016, 23:15
Well, I guess 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' should help to keep the group together. In either case, I'll switch to Trinovante if that's ok?

Ellspeth
February 25th, 2016, 23:20
Sure, you will still have to deal with the Catellevauni leather worker and the disaffected Roman, but indeed any of a number of tribes can be used, those are just the next facing the Romans after the Battle of Medway, Iceni as well. And in fact in the last version of the one shot Caratacus, the defeated king nearly made tough Larana cry when he appealed to their need to set aside their differences to face the common enemy, that he cannot undo the wrongs of the past, but they face much worse now, and they can continue their internecine hostilities and end enslaved by Rome, or fight together to the death if need be, and at least die free.

Skillkoil
February 25th, 2016, 23:24
Hey Ellspeth what is the tribe Reynard is from? I want to do some research on it.

Ellspeth
February 25th, 2016, 23:35
You had taken Derwyn of the Brigante and changed his name, spent time as a mercenary abroad, returned when your own lands and people came under threat, check your messages, there are a few things you will want to know and would know.

Skellan
February 25th, 2016, 23:45
... he appealed to their need to set aside their differences to face the common enemy, that he cannot undo the wrongs of the past, but they face much worse now, and they can continue their internecine hostilities and end enslaved by Rome, or fight together to the death if need be, and at least die free.

Hand me my blade, we shall still the beating heart of Rome

Skillkoil
February 26th, 2016, 01:18
If you would like to learn some Celt history here is a pretty cool Documentary about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-itb5NwDU

I hope you guys enjoy. There are 3 episodes of it.

Ellspeth
February 26th, 2016, 11:52
LOL Skillkoil, when I said had history been this much fun in school we would have all paid more attention that wasn't a hint for HOMEWORK. I have the video links and thanks. I have a ton of written material on the Celts, so if you are looking for something particular let me know, I can drop some of it in dropbox. Again, the enthusiasm everyone has shown for this setting and been so appreciated for a new GM, maybe I should rethink my plan to try for my first TPK.

Skellan
February 26th, 2016, 13:07
maybe I should rethink my plan to try for my first TPK.

Haha. My characters always seem to die, it has got to the point where I am quite disappointed if I survive :)

Azzza
February 26th, 2016, 16:23
That was the documentary I was referring to. I hadn't realised that it was on YouTube as I saw it on the BBC. It's very good.

Skillkoil
February 26th, 2016, 16:30
Yeah I really enjoyed the Documentary. I didn't assign homework Ellspeth :P I just was sharing :)

Ellspeth
February 26th, 2016, 16:31
Gee fun, AND educational, whooda thunk it? Anyway guys,I will be on the GMD teamspeak tomorrow at 7pm GMT, we can't finish the interrupted session, but any of the new players who want to work on characters, discuss settings, convince me that this is really historically accurate or such I have the free time. Azza you will hav a chariot though the build I am still working on, I guess I have to build it, and Skellan I am creating the special edges and skills for bards, another non-existent category in any of the player handbooks for SW I have. I have also added material to the library on Irish, though then Celtic wolfhounds, amazing how much isn't well known or has been forgetten about the Celts isn't it guys? See those of you who can make it tomorrow.

Ducky119
February 27th, 2016, 07:07
Gee fun, AND educational, whooda thunk it? Anyway guys,I will be on the GMD teamspeak tomorrow at 7pm GMT, we can't finish the interrupted session, but any of the new players who want to work on characters, discuss settings, convince me that this is really historically accurate or such I have the free time. Azza you will hav a chariot though the build I am still working on, I guess I have to build it, and Skellan I am creating the special edges and skills for bards, another non-existent category in any of the player handbooks for SW I have. I have also added material to the library on Irish, though then Celtic wolfhounds, amazing how much isn't well known or has been forgetten about the Celts isn't it guys? See those of you who can make it tomorrow.

Looking forward to creating my character this evening :)

Ellspeth
February 27th, 2016, 17:08
Okay guys I have the server up most of the day, won't be on the teamspeak for a bit yet. I could not resist sharing this screenshot, it shows some of the best aspects of this community. The new look, tabletop is courtesy of Skellan, and he mentioned using elements from Masked, Damned, some others and if I missed you it wasn't intentional. the special trackers for mass battles, dramatic, and social conflicts were created for me by Draeus, of GMD. Oh the cool Druid tree bennies, also Skellan. Between the suggestions from players for broader character concepts, the brilliant material available for Savage World on the Celts and the Foreign Legion, the wonderful tools and extensions both built in and member created, this has come a long way from 3 ladies in a koffee klatch, two in Brum explaining to their Yankee friend had they been alive when the invasion happened, maybe it would have gone differently. I want to thank all of you so much. 13178

Mask_of_winter
February 27th, 2016, 21:21
Looks good!
Te morituri Salutamus!

Ellspeth
February 29th, 2016, 12:13
Okay guys, we are up and ready for a full party this coming Saturday. The player wanting the Roman character contacted me and will be finished with character creation in time for the first FULL session.
So what do we have? Derwyn, Brigante who had been traveling overseas as a mercenary, returned when the Romans started to invade his own people, Larana, warrior of the Trinovante torn between her hatred of the Catellevauini for the attacks on her people and taking their capital, and the Romans who pose an even greater threat. Caristis, one eyed leather worker of the Catellevauni who lost 3 brothers at the Battle of Medway, and his faithful Celtic wolfhound Tomag, Elwyn, Celtic Bard and fighter, Rhydwyn, the Druid priest of Andrasta from the Damndonii in the Southwest, trying to bring the tribes together before it is too late, and Roman, name unknown. arrested and tortured, sentenced to death for heresy when he challenged Claudius's rejection of an Imperial cult built around him, escaped and fled beyond the reach of the Romans and the death sentence. Skellan I never caught which tribe you wanted Elwyn to affiliate with. Other than that we are ready to roll. Those of you who have studied your history have the best chance of being prepared.
"Those who refuse to learn from history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana

Azzza
February 29th, 2016, 13:02
Cool, very much looking forward to it.

Skellan
February 29th, 2016, 19:37
Great. This is shaping up to be lots of fun.

Elwyn will stick as Catellevauini if that's ok :)

Azzza
March 3rd, 2016, 19:46
Hi Elspeth

I've been looking up some Celtic chariot information, and as I suspected they don't tend to be either depicted or referenced with scythes attached in the main. I've always thought that the scythes would probably be a decorative aspect, designed to impress more than anything else. The reason I've always thought this is that a chariot with scythes attached at the wheels would be very difficult to turn on anything but very flat ground and Britain, with a few exceptional areas (mostly the East Anglian fens which were a combination of drained swamp or areas reclaimed from the sea) is not very flat, also no evidence of scythed chariots have been found in Britain, but several iron wheel rims have been found, though as always with archaeology this could be an accident of survival. I found a great little academic site from the University of Chicago.

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/britannia/boudica/chariot.html

So I'm happy to be scytheless.

One thing that I can't recall that I did would be to develop some kind of animal handling skill. I know I developed driving, but as a charioteer I think that Larana would be quite empathic towards animals (especially horses) though I'm not sure that there is an animal handling type skill, it could possibly be a knowledge. I also think that she ought to have a riding skill, as I think that she would have spent a lot of time looking after and working with animals. Let me know what you think. I could always reduce a couple of skills to get me some base D4s.

Arran

Azzza
March 3rd, 2016, 19:51
Hi Elspeth

I've been looking up some Celtic chariot information, and as I suspected they don't tend to be either depicted or referenced with scythes attached in the main. I've always thought that the scythes would probably be a decorative aspect, designed to impress more than anything else. The reason I've always thought this is that a chariot with scythes attached at the wheels would be very difficult to turn on anything but very flat ground and Britain, with a few exceptional areas (mostly the East Anglian fens which were a combination of drained swamp or areas reclaimed from the sea) is not very flat, also no evidence of scythed chariots have been found in Britain, but several iron wheel rims have been found, though as always with archaeology this could be an accident of survival. I found a great little academic site from the University of Chicago.

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/britannia/boudica/chariot.html

So I'm happy to be scytheless.

One thing that I can't recall that I did would be to develop some kind of animal handling skill. I know I developed driving, but as a charioteer I think that Larana would be quite empathic towards animals (especially horses) though I'm not sure that there is an animal handling type skill, it could possibly be a knowledge. I also think that she ought to have a riding skill, as I think that she would have spent a lot of time looking after and working with animals. Let me know what you think. I could always reduce a couple of skills to get me some base D4s.

Arran

Azzza
March 4th, 2016, 21:34
Hi Ellspeth

I was looking up Celtic chariots online and as I suspected the evidence for them having scythes attached to the wheels. No scythes have survived in the archaeological record, which makes me think that they were possibly used for ceremonial purposes. The archaeological record could of course be an accident of survival, but iron rimmed wheels do survive. The main site I was using was an academic one from the University of Chicago. The reason why I was a little sceptical of scythes on the wheel is that they would make the chariot dangerous to turn on anything other than relatively flat ground, which in the main Britain tends to be a bit bumpy.

I was also wondering about a skill of animal handling, is it possibly a knowledge skill as well as a riding skill. I think that as she has spent most of her life around horses, she would probably have a D4 skill in these, if so I may need to drop another skill down. Let me know what you think.

Arran

Ellspeth
March 5th, 2016, 01:11
Okay, everything is set up for tomorrow, though I am informed it will be another session before you find the poor condemned Roman. Azza I added the Celtic chariot to your vehicles in your character sheet, not fully statted out yet though. I am quite pleased with the choice of Catellevauni Skellan, should make your first meeting with the Trinovante interesting, and I created a few openings to give you lots of role-playing choices. CYA tomorrow 7PM GMT guys.

Skillkoil
March 5th, 2016, 17:01
I'm on the teamspeak server. :)

Skellan
March 5th, 2016, 17:23
The chariot could perhaps use the pace of the horse, provide cover to the occupant, and attack with scythes by moving past opponents and making a driving check to hit and doing 2d6 dmg? Probably give the chariot toughness 10?

Ellspeth
March 6th, 2016, 01:00
Hey guys I really enjoyed today, I hope you all did as well. Our last player did arrive this evening and get his character created, the next session should be interesting to say the least, given how ya'll didn't really bother to ask many questions before ya took heads, ouch. I am taking a screen shot of that map before all the blood markers are deleted. CYA in two weeks and thanks for playing.

Skellan
March 6th, 2016, 01:05
Yeah, it was a fun session. We definitely put the savage in savage worlds.

I did sort of try to talk to one...

Anyway, I grabbed a screenshot of the carnage

Ellspeth
March 6th, 2016, 01:09
Nice Skellan, that was before the mercs though, got a lot bloodier after that, was a bit lazy to hit ya with two encounters on the same map but it worked for my story arc.

Skellan
March 6th, 2016, 01:16
Yeah, it was a wonderful way to get the characters together. I really felt like we were being invaded by a foreign army and we had to work together to survive. It took all of us in the end to bring down that roman

Azzza
March 7th, 2016, 23:03
Yeah that centurion was hard as nails.

Ellspeth
March 8th, 2016, 11:31
I agree azza the stats on the Centurions are brutal I discovered the first one shot I ran in this we came close to a TPK. Thus so far you have only encountered 2 Centurions on the patrols, it won't always be so easy. I am glad you felt it was realistic Skellan, because yes, by this time a good many of the Celts were reeling from the power of Rome. I like the fact you have different tribes, including hostile tribes, that had to be very much the reality then. That said, this game is better because of players who appreciate that history was every bit as Savage as any fantasy setting, and the effort you ALL have brought to keeping this both historically accurate but tough enough to be fun. Though again, your habit of killing first ask questions IF there are any survivors before you kill them is taxing your GM with how to bring in the new player, though I think I have it and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Skellan
March 12th, 2016, 19:06
Saturdays just aren't the same without killing Romans :P

In other news, I found some chariot rules in Beasts and Barbarians that you might want to check out Ellspeth, but they are petty similar to the the rules you already made

Ellspeth
March 12th, 2016, 21:21
I'll do that Skellan, and I have Darren thinking he had a game today to and all bummed when he remembered it was bi-weekly, on the upside the prep for next session is solid, should be interesting, at least it will be on my side of the table. And the 6th player will be there for sure next week. Poor guy has no idea you people just kill first ask questions then kill the rest.

Ducky119
March 13th, 2016, 00:49
I'll do that Skellan, and I have Darren thinking he had a game today to and all bummed when he remembered it was bi-weekly, on the upside the prep for next session is solid, should be interesting, at least it will be on my side of the table. And the 6th player will be there for sure next week. Poor guy has no idea you people just kill first ask questions then kill the rest.

Yes.. Next week will be interesting

Ellspeth
March 16th, 2016, 14:30
heya guys,session is all prepped for Saturday. Now with the USA being on DST and the Europeans not yet, I'll be there early this week, though most of you are on GMT of GMT+1, I'll coordinate future game times with the group this Saturday.

Ducky119
March 16th, 2016, 14:37
heya guys,session is all prepped for Saturday. Now with the USA being on DST and the Europeans not yet, I'll be there early this week, though most of you are on GMT of GMT+1, I'll coordinate future game times with the group this Saturday.

Do you mean we'll be having earlier or later times?

Ellspeth
March 16th, 2016, 14:45
well this narrowed the time gap, since 4 of the 6 players are in the Eurozone it is a question I'll put to the group, if we stay with 7 PM GMT that makes it an hour later for the American players, if we go with EDT, the zone I am in, it makes it an hour earlier for the European players, so for this week I'll be there early, I need to meet with Skillkoil before the game because something went insane on his character sheet. Once everyone is there we can discuss what works best for the majority.

Ducky119
March 16th, 2016, 14:59
well this narrowed the time gap, since 4 of the 6 players are in the Eurozone it is a question I'll put to the group, if we stay with 7 PM GMT that makes it an hour later for the American players, if we go with EDT, the zone I am in, it makes it an hour earlier for the European players, so for this week I'll be there early, I need to meet with Skillkoil before the game because something went insane on his character sheet. Once everyone is there we can discuss what works best for the majority.

Sounds fine. I will be there a little earlier on saturday aswell