PDA

View Full Version : Official Campagins and editing of them in regards to future updates.

Sammy
February 10th, 2016, 14:05
Hello

Going to start my first time DM with FG soon with Lost Mines and then go on with Princes of the Appocalypse. I am weaving some personal goals and quests for the PC:s through both of the campaigns and I am just wondering how it would be best to handle this in regards to any future updates to these modules.

Example
PC 1 will encounter a dead familymember early in starter campaign with various clues to who is behind it from NPC:s leading to an encounter with this person sometime in the future.

So might look like

NPC A,B,C have altered texts to deal with this
Item A,B have been altered, added and or removed

Im noticing some small errors here and there in the campaigns and as these might be updated in the future it might affect my additions. How should I handle this?

Cheers

Sam

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2016, 14:21
Any amendments that you make to an official module won't be changed if the module gets updated. As soon as you make an amendment the thing you are amending becomes a copy - separate from the official module. Anything you edit will get a little book with a pen icon next to it in the list (story, npc etc). You can right click on this little icon and select 'revert changes' to remove any amendments you make and revert the NPC, item etc back to what it is in the module. This would update the item etc and include any changes made to the module. Otherwise your amended NPC would forever remain as you amend it.

And welcome to FG and to the community.

Sammy
February 10th, 2016, 14:31
Ah yes I see the pen icon now and you just made my day as I have done a bunch of editing.

Awesome feature and I am loving the program !

Cheers

Sam

Trenloe
February 10th, 2016, 14:39
To clarify what Zacchaeus is referring to above. All he mentions is relevant to the FG campaign that you make the edits in. You're not changing the underlying module data, just the data for that module within that single campaign where you do the edit. If you loaded up the module in another campaign you wouldn't see your edits (unless you copy the underlying FG edit files from one campaign directory to another).

Make sure to backup your campaign directory occasionally, so any accidents don't result in you losing your campaign edits.

Sammy
February 10th, 2016, 14:52
Good tip and im already doing it automatically to an offsite location (Rackspace).

There could be an issue with the program, user mistake, hardware failiure or heck even a fire / burglary. Backup things you dont want to loose offsite.

Cloudservices are good for smaller amounts and or data you want back fast -> a USB HD / miniserver at your parents or what not for larger files (pictures etc).

/Sam

Trenloe
February 10th, 2016, 15:05
Yep, backups are always a good idea. But, don't use cloud sync services like Google Drive, One Drive, Box, Drop Box, etc. on your live FG data directory (FG App Data) as sync services have been known to corrupt FG campaign data.