PDA

View Full Version : Deadlands Noir: The Old Absinthe House Blues

ransolot
February 10th, 2016, 01:26
FG License: GM has Full so players need a license .
Game System: Savage Worlds

Time Zone: USA Pacific Time Zone
Day of week and time: Sunday mornings @ 6am
Planned start date: As soon as we have 2 players
Planned Frequency: bi-weekly
Term: Just the length of the module, should be 3-5 sessions. Give or take

Text or Voice: Voice only
Voice software used: Skype or Google Hangout

Roleplay & Combat mix: 80/20, Heavy Roleplay
Number of Players in game & needed: 2-3 Max
Character starting level & equipment: Novice characters. Pre-gens provided if you need
Character restrictions: Humans only, Deadlands noir setting rules

Details of your scenario: Fat Dan Waller of the Old Absinthe House sent a runner to find out where his star singer was but the boy found only an empty house. Sunday morning, Fat Dan called a few friends to help find her.

That’s where our story begins.

Deadlands Noir is a setting for the Savage Worlds ruleset set in the 1930's New Orleans. We will be starting with Novice characters and just working our way through this whole module. I can imagine that this will take around 3-5 sessions.

New players are more than welcome to join in the fun. If you would like me to create a pre-generated character for you, feel free to ask. I will be accepting 3 players MAX for this, but only need 2 to play.
If you are wanting to play to see how much damage your character can do or best battlefield tactics, please look elsewhere. This is a adventure designed for investigation and heavy roleplay.
This game will be run by-weekly every other Sunday morning from 6-9am PST until we finish the module. And questions, please feel free to ask! Thanks everyone!

Link to Gamecalendar page: CLICK (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1834)

Mask_of_winter
February 10th, 2016, 01:36
I'm in. Got an African American blues player/hougan character ready for it. That's 9 am for me. I'll see if I can swing it. Initially got my time wrong there.

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 01:43
Oh for me this would be a Sunday morning brunch game, just perfect. I have never played Deadlands Noir though I have played a good deal of SW, I can use a Hero Lab to generate a character with some guidance, I have an ultimate license and google hangouts works well, skype I find a bit iffy.

Mask_of_winter
February 10th, 2016, 01:45
Oh for me this would be a Sunday morning brunch game, just perfect. I have never played Deadlands Noir though I have played a good deal of SW, I can use a Hero Lab to generate a character with some guidance, I have an ultimate license and google hangouts works well, skype I find a bit iffy.
Now that's dedication!

ransolot
February 10th, 2016, 01:57
Awesome...

ransolot
February 10th, 2016, 02:02
I posted first game date. If I did this Sunday, my woman would have my nuts in a vice!

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 02:07
Oh no never ever piss off the women. Speaking of which I always play my own gender in a game, what kind of female character will be suitable in this setting? I asked a friend and he said this is a gangster detective setting.

Martinez
February 10th, 2016, 02:09
Nice game as usual. Very pleasing and interesting. Enjoying ..............

ransolot
February 10th, 2016, 03:08
Ellspeth, your friend was "mostly" right. Think "Call of Cthulhu" but set in the Deadlands world fast forwarded to 1930's. The gangster aspect is there but not typically in the form of the characters.

Mask_of_winter
February 10th, 2016, 03:16
It's pulp noir. A gun mole, cabaret singer, gumshoe detective, sideshow freak, nun, mambo, mad scientist, etc.

ransolot
February 10th, 2016, 03:19
Oh yeah, the patent science is AWESOME in Deadlands Noir. Also, the Voodoo aspect is really, REALLY fun!

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 03:20
Well I have played a little Pulp Fiction, a few sessions of Call of Cthulu, cabaret singer, what about voodoo? Any presence for voodoo?

ransolot
February 10th, 2016, 03:20
See my previous post ;)

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 03:26
I see that our posts crossed each other, okay I am very down with the voodoo stuff, I looked up mambo so already had some of the answer. NOW that I can work on.

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 03:29
So if Mask can do a jazz/blues musician hougan can I do a cabaret singing mambo?

ransolot
February 10th, 2016, 03:46
Sure, I'm not sure how much stage time you'd get but it will help with the back story

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 03:54
LOL trust me you wouldn't want me to really sing, but my background in role playing comes from theater not gaming, and I like a character with layers even for one shots and short campaigns. It is easier to understand you characters choices on the fly if you know their motivations, and have more material to work with in improv role play. I am looking forward to this, I have already started researching the mambo, but always suggestions and guidelines from those more familiar with the material, and of course the GM knowing what he can and can't make work is always welcome.

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 13:12
Timing is everything, Deadlands Noir is on sale at RPGNow for 9.99, marked down from 29.99, so I bought the PDF so I can be up to speed by the time the games start.

Trenloe
February 10th, 2016, 18:04
Timing is everything, Deadlands Noir is on sale at RPGNow for 9.99, marked down from 29.99, so I bought the PDF so I can be up to speed by the time the games start.
It's appears to be on sale, but $29.99 is the print price and $9.99 is the normal PDF price. Smoke and mirrors to make you think you're getting a reduced price!

It's still worth $9.99 though. :)

Ellspeth
February 10th, 2016, 18:34
LOL Trenloe I ran into Mask this morning and he told me the same. I am investing in games more and more though, asI know this is a hobby I will be staying with a very long time. And besides, tomorrow is my birthday, I bought me all gaming stuff for my present to me.

Batman13
February 11th, 2016, 13:41
Hello.

I live in the middle east. I am about 12 hours difference from PST. I have no experience with this game system, but I would love to learn. I was thinking about playing Charles "Chuck" Harnet. He was a former army medic and part time war coraspondent with his local newspaper. When he returned home he has had a hard time finding steady work, so he has looking into private dective work to keep his bills paid untill somthing steady comes his way. His lack of experence is made up by his desire to do the best he can. "Quality trumps quantity every time" is a moto he lives by.

ransolot
February 12th, 2016, 01:37
Sounds good to me Batman. So long as you're all good with the game type and everything I listed out, we can give it a shot.

Mask_of_winter
February 12th, 2016, 02:55
I'm still working on making this work. If I can make it I'll probably pick a different character to add some diversity since Ellspeth pretty much put a dress on my character concept and called it hers :P hehe

Mask_of_winter
February 12th, 2016, 03:00
This free pdf (https://www.peginc.com/freebies/DLNoir/DLN_Archetypes.pdf) offers a great selection of pre-gens btw.

Ellspeth
February 12th, 2016, 03:28
LOL Mask put pants back on him, I purchased the PDF yesterday and now I have some time to look it over I can generate a good many characters. In fact one of my favourite parts of RPG is character creation, no doubt a carryover from theater and improv work, well and writing. I do hope you can get the time sorted.

Mask_of_winter
February 12th, 2016, 03:30
Happy Birthday Ellspeth!

Ellspeth
February 12th, 2016, 03:32
Oh thank you, I have had a gorgeous day, living by my grandfathers wisdom "Age is a state of mind not a state of being."

ianmward
February 12th, 2016, 07:22
I always say that getting older and celebrating another birthday is vastly superior to the alternative!

Ellspeth
February 12th, 2016, 15:08
Looking at the archetypes NOW it is hard to choose, I like patent scientist, arcane detective, and reporter. However I was looking at harrowed, Marie LaVeaux was the most famous of the New Orleans voodoo queens, if I understand the material she would have been a prime candidate to be raised as harrowed. In fact there is an existing legend that indeed she never died. Makes ya wonder eh? But I will be prepared with one of these in plenty of time.
And indeed Ian I much prefer another birthday to the other alternative myself, given the longevity of the female ancestors I expect to celebrate a good many more.

Batman13
February 13th, 2016, 07:30
I am going to run with the Miles (private ****) pregen. I will change the name, but keep eveything else. That will make it easier. I do not have experience with this system, and I do not have access to the books. Any advice?

Mask_of_winter
February 13th, 2016, 07:35
I am going to run with the Miles (private ****) pregen. I will change the name, but keep eveything else. That will make it easier. I do not have experience with this system, and I do not have access to the books. Any advice?

You can find the quickstart rules here (https://www.peginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Test_Drive_2015.pdf).

Ellspeth
February 14th, 2016, 02:48
That's it, decided to go with a patent scientist, no problems with the build, she is a bit odd though. Following the archetype with some personal tweaks. I am really looking forward to this now.

Batman13
February 14th, 2016, 07:05
The fist session is on the 21st correct..

Ellspeth
February 15th, 2016, 12:13
Okay I am nearly finished with my character and want to be sure I am reading this correctly. All characters must take the poverty hindrance with no benefit in build points, and for a patent scientist it says they have to take the delusional hindrance, again, no bonus build points. So for a patent scientist to gain the max points in creation they would end up with one major and FOUR minor hindrances is that correct? If so she is ready to export.

ransolot
February 27th, 2016, 15:59
Still room for this game folks!