PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a new group together

Newton19135
February 10th, 2016, 00:54
Hello, me and a few RL friends were looking into possibly getting a group together through this software, but we needed to find a DM for 5e. I was wondering if I was able to purchase the full copy and a DM that might be found through this forum would be able to setup a game for us? Or does the DM have to have the full software in order to do that, and if that was the case I assume I would have to find someone in my group to DM. Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Martinez
February 10th, 2016, 02:08
Hey what will be the group name you want to make? Anyone can easily join into the group?

Dorthan
February 10th, 2016, 04:26
The Ultimate License is only really useful for the GM (AKA the person that hosts the game). If you are a player, it simply acts as a Full License.

Taken from https://www.fg-con.com/fantasy-grounds/

Fantasy Grounds has 3 license types.

•Free license: As the name suggests, the free version of Fantasy Grounds is free. With this license you can join a game run by a GM with an ultimate license. Also, during FG Con you can join a game ran by a GM with a full license – but this is just for the duration of FG Con.

•Full License: The Full License allows you to both join a game as a player and host a game for other players as the GM. Full Licenses cost $39 each one off payment, or $3.99/month subscription.

•Ultimate License: The Ultimate License allows you to host a game for other players – even if they don't have a Lite or Full license they can still join your game as a player. Ultimate License holders can of course also join other games as a player. Ultimate Licenses cost $149 each one off payment, or $9.99/month subscription.

What you need to do is to either demo the game with a free license and find a DM with an Ultimate License, or get a Full License (purchase or subscription) and find a DM with a Full or Ultimate License.

dpoulsen
February 21st, 2016, 05:41
Did you find any other players? I'm new to the system and to 5th edition, but I would like to play. I'm in Toronto Canada.

RPM
February 23rd, 2016, 09:07
howdy Guys, nice to see some fresh meat.. err.. players looking to get into fantasy grounds!
I'm still pretty new, but I think what You're looking for is the LFG forum for some games. this thread is for Adventurers League games(an organized WorldWide campaign). AL is great fun and it is 5E, but there's a little more bookkeeping to making and leveling a character for this campaign. if You're really new to FG I think You'd probably gain a bunch of experience even from just one or two sessions "feeling out" the FantasyGrounds interface. maybe have a look at the game calendar and search for a 5th edition campaign if that's the rule set Yous're looking to play, look around a bit and apply for a game of few, AND definitely check back. sometimes it just takes good timing to find a great group!

GoodLuck finding some games. Also there's an online Convention coming up pretty quick, that's another area of the forums You may want to look!

darrenan
February 23rd, 2016, 17:33
I'm unclear if this thread was about license types, or actually finding a DM. But, if it's the latter it would help to list your time zone and times/days you're interested in playing.

Dorthan
February 23rd, 2016, 18:15
I totally glossed over the fast that you were looking for a game in addition to your questions about the license in my original response, I apologize.

Try the LFG forum to find a group, this is specific to organized play which is a bit more complicated bookkeeping and character creation-wise - that's not to say it's not friendly to new players, there are just some extra steps. If you're looking to familiarize yourself with Fantasy Grounds, I'd recommend getting into any game you can. I joined a Dungeon World game GMed by damned without knowing the game system at all. It was a blast, and I met some fellow players that I see around in games from time to time. I'm normally only looking for a Pathfinder game, but I've played 3.5, 5e, and Dungeon World, and each time I've learned more about the interface.