PDA

View Full Version : LF 2nd Female player for Through the Breach group

LeperColony
February 9th, 2016, 01:18
Our gaming group is looking for a second female player. Right now our campaign is Through the Breach, Wyrd's game of Victorian steampunk horror. Our group consists of three reliable male players and one female player. Looking for one more girl to help balance the numbers a bit.

We play on Friday evenings, from around 7:30 pm till 12 am, Pacific Time.

Experience with Through the Breach is not necessary. Rules can be taught. Our games are a mix of social challenges and combat.

I have an Ultimate FG license, so any free version of the client is sufficient.

Thanks for reading!

Ellspeth
February 9th, 2016, 01:31
Oh I have other commitments or I would give this a try, though there seems to be an increasing number of women players around, I only have a few games anymore where I am the only female.

LeperColony
February 9th, 2016, 02:37
Thanks for the reply! Initially I was hesitant to post this thread, as I didn't want to give a "girls wanted!" cattle call impression. But ultimately I want to provide my players with the best environment possible, and I feel one way to achieve that is to increase the diversity and improve the balance of our group.

If your schedule changes, or if you should know someone who may be interested, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future!

Ellspeth
February 9th, 2016, 12:46
I understand your hesitation, over a year ago I wasn't sure whether I should mention my gender in my first post looking for a game. I did so, and have never had to post again looking for a game. I must add the community here is wonderful, and obviously we can all see the ratio of male to female players is pretty huge. I am working on getting some of my women friends involved in RPG's, I have found this to be a brilliant hobby, but sometimes when women see the number disparity they aren't sure of their welcome. Several members communicated with me to let me know if I did have trouble here to speak up, but it has never been an issue.
I would like to see more women in gaming, and soon I hope to post a one shot for a Ladies Night Out, I know enough female players to fill a game, but perhaps it is our lack of a visible presence, or vocal presence, that slows down growth among women. That is merely speculation however. A
However the gender of your player wasn't the only reason I responded. I have only been playing RPG's two years, before that I had heard of them, but was never in a place I could check into them, and I was also working on a degree in theater and acting so my love of role playing was already covered. So whenever I see a system, setting, ruleset I haven't tried. That is why I love things like FG-Daze and the FG-Con, great opportunity to try something new. Good luck in your search for a player, when I have the chance I'll mention it to the women in the games I am in, and certainly if I ever see you run something in a time I have available you will hear from me.

Andrepartthree
February 13th, 2016, 19:02
I commend you both and I completely agree - we need more female FG players for sure ! :)

One unfortunate tendency I've seen on FG is that ... and I guess this is understandable enough ... there are a lot of guy players that are reluctant to play female PC's and when you consider the number of male players outnumbers the number of female players you end up with practically an "all male" PC group which... at the risk of being controversial I'll go on record as saying that's boring as all heck in my opinion :P .... I got so annoyed over it I started playing female PC's despite being a guy ... there was that initial sense of "awkwardness" at first on my part... but then I found the experience so fun all my PC's have been female after that... the great thing about RPG's is the opportunity to step into the shoes of someone who's different than what you are in real life... why not experience things from the other gender's point of view? Which is my overly complicated :P way of saying if there's a male player looking to play a female PC but who's hesitating - give it a shot, worst case scenario if it's not your cup of tea at least you tried ;) ...

In my humble opinion the presence of an existing female player in your group will no doubt reassure other female players looking for a group to join but .. if I can make a suggestion? And I'm sure you're already doing this to begin with so please don't get the wrong impression ;) ... but if you state "out loud" so to speak in your recruitment thread that women in your group are treated with respect that could help too.. I know I know strange thing for me to say but I'll tell you... I've been playing RPG's for close to 40 years now and the idiocy I've seen among some male players is nothing short of breathtaking... male players who, the moment they lay eyes on a female player who takes a chance on joining a gaming group, lay in with the "physical intimacy" innuendo .... and I'm talking about the very FIRST time they've met said female player in real life, not the kind of situation where the players have known each other forever and they're just joking around ... and creep the female player out to the point where she decides this is the first and last time she's ever RPG'ing... sadly all too common ... there was a game I heard about where a group of players decided it would be a GREAT part of the plot-line if one of the female PC's was physically "taken against her will" if you know what I mean and yes, the player of this female PC was also female in real life... far as I'm concerned that kind of thing "hits home" with female players in real life to the point where it shouldn't be something that happens to a female PC.... ever... no matter how much of a "dramatic impact" you feel it makes on the storyline.

This isn't to say every male player out there is like that of course, I've had the pleasure of gaming with a number of male players who treat female players with nothing but total respect. I'm just saying that, based on what I've read and based on what I've heard from the rare female gamer, they can end up having a totally different gaming experience ..... and not in a pleasant way... than male gamers.

But yes I totally agree with you, an even mix as close as possible to male to female PC's makes the game a LOT more fun in my opinion :) .....

Taonna
February 13th, 2016, 22:22
if you ever do need another male player leper let me know i've Always wanted to play through the breach

tlavalle
March 21st, 2017, 00:43
how are you handing, the cards? for challenges?