PDA

View Full Version : LFP: 1st time DM need 3 more players D&D 5E 1st level ONE-SHOT Sat Feb 27 7pm GMT-5

IrishBouzouki
February 8th, 2016, 01:59
Game is full! You may still apply as a backup on the calendar, if so I will leave you pending unless a slot opens up. Thanks!

ONE SHOT INTRO D&D 5E

This is a short one-shot introductory adventure for 4 1st level players.
This is my first time as a DM, without a lot of 5E experience either.
One player is a first time RPG player.
Looking for three more players with the patience to help both of us through our respective firsts.

FG License: DM has Ultimate license and required materials so you can play with free demo or any license
Game System: D&D 5E

Time Zone: Eastern Time USA (GMT-5)
Day of week and time, planned start date: Saturday February 27th starting promptly at 7 pm
Planned Frequency, Term: ***ONE-SHOT***

Text or Voice: Voice in/out of character, constructive text or voice comments welcome, very relaxed fun, not demanding arbitrary restrictions
Voice software used: FG Teamspeak server

Roleplay & Combat mix: It works out how it works out, depends on where the players go with it, have fun, not here to dictate your required play style if you "play well with others" in a co-operative social setting
Number of Players in game & needed: Have 1 player, need 3 more
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level with equipment given by core PHB class and background
Character restrictions: Only core PHB selections, no Evil PC's or Drow etc, no EE player's guide, you are required to use the 27-point buy method from the PHB and have your character completed offline and uploaded to game server ahead of game time

Details of the scenario:

The tiny village of Melton lies a few days north of Triboar on the Long Road. A tribe of goblins are raiding travelers on the Long Road, and our heroes decide to help. But will they survive the Temple of the Nightbringers?

As the DM I want you to communicate with myself and the other players, be responsible, punctual, attentive, and at least reasonably polite. I could care less if you are a combat monster, power gamer or min-maxer, go for it, kill the monsters, stay alive, enjoy yourself.
edit - a bit of roleplay will be required at one point I see, in general I am leaving it up to the players to provide how much or little of that they want
Recognize that I, as a first-time DM, *am* the living rulebook. Bwahaha! But feel free to help, please, feel free to help. So what I will expect from players is that I will allow and encourage them to politely make constructive rules observations or suggestions but when a decision is made after discussing that suggestion it is time to move on and keep playing no matter what the rulebook says, I will expect players to deal with it and avoid fussing about it.

Link to Gamecalendar page: Game Calendar Page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1831)

edit - Please be sure to indicate a desired player character race and class from the 5E core PHB where you apply on the game calendar page.

Since this is my first time as a DM this will not necessarily be first come first served, sorry 'bout that.

Thanks.

Ellspeth
February 8th, 2016, 02:54
Count me in, I have played a bit of DnD on Fantasy Grounds and happen to have that Saturday night free, I am happy to be there for your first effort as a GM, you were there for my first on FG-Daze. I have played a wood elf ranger and a female dwarf cleric in the ruleset, but I am happy to play any character that suits, as long as it is female.

Monkn
February 8th, 2016, 02:58
Can I join????

IrishBouzouki
February 8th, 2016, 10:10
Wow, thanks folks, it'd be great to have you all Ellspeth, Monkn, lonelyear!

So to help communicate game info in advance of game time, really practice for me but feel free to use it, I am setting up a private "Group" for the DM and game players on the FG forum here. Please accept the invite to the group when I manage to get that set up, and use that like you would the conversation on the game calendar page. If you subscribe to the group you can get email alerts if that is something helpful for you (my understanding is you can not get alerts from the calendar page, which is why I am trying this to see how it works). At the moment the main thing I see this being useful for, in a one shot, is discussing characters between you folks and announcing when I will be able to keep the server up for pre-game character uploads etc.

Stuff like server alias and game time remains on the calendar page.

Great! Welcome aboard!

Wrekking
February 8th, 2016, 14:27
Looking for stuff like this, a bit of homebrewed adventuring and one-shots. Really lookin' for some RP opportunities, combat isn't everything in D&D!

RageArmor
February 8th, 2016, 22:27
Interesting, but i think i will pass. I've never been a fan of the point buy system.

Z-Prodigy
February 8th, 2016, 23:04
What!!!! Irish your gonna DM? Sign me up mate! Is what I would say if I wasn't working. Life gets in the way of DND!!!! Please, oh please do this again.

IrishBouzouki
February 8th, 2016, 23:06
homebrewed adventuringNot a homebrew. Published module by M.T. Black on Dungeon Masters Guild. BUT NOBODY LOOK, honestly don't even read the description on the DMG site the ad looked to me like it had spoilers. It is a one-evening adventure after all.

combat isn't everything in D&D!Obviously. I agree with you.

Monkn
February 8th, 2016, 23:08
Nah getting set on fire by your party is

IrishBouzouki
February 8th, 2016, 23:22
I've never been a fan of the point buy system.I've grown to admire the 5E die roll system after trying it enough. But I do not want to spend the short game time in a one shot waiting for character generation from die rolls. And the 15/14/13/12/10/8 isn't really that different from the point buy system in my opinion. I want to enable players for fun rather than limiting their options. So given the time constraint that is my rationale. Same with allowing Human variants and feats, which I am by the way.

See you Wednesday night Rage.

IrishBouzouki
February 8th, 2016, 23:29
LOL! Now, now, that was your game before ours, I never actually hit you with those fire bolts even if I came close, and Skellan wouldn't let me set the Grease spell on fire right in front of you! (yeah rookie wizard attempt at a complex solution to a simple problem on my part, but that giant ape packed a whallop as you found out)

Nah getting set on fire by your party is

Monkn
February 8th, 2016, 23:35
LOL! Now, now, that was your game before ours, I never actually hit you with those fire bolts even if I came close, and Skellan wouldn't let me set the Grease spell on fire right in front of you! (yeah rookie wizard attempt at a complex solution to a simple problem on my part, but that giant ape packed a whallop as you found out)

Hey if you remember I held that guy while the group killed the statues. So see he was doing his job. Well this time it will be me setting things on fire. Just sad I cant use my drow mage I made so long ago. But I got something else up for this one.

IrishBouzouki
February 8th, 2016, 23:39
Please, oh please do this again.
Thanks! Yeah, this is less ambitious this time around to be sure it "gets done". There will be more after. And those will be more like multi-session intro campaign(s) with a group. But... I want to do my best with this little one first and see how it goes.

Monkn
February 8th, 2016, 23:41
Thanks! Yeah, this is less ambitious this time around to be sure it "gets done". There will be more after. And those will be more like multi-session intro campaign(s) with a group. But... I want to do my best with this little one first and see how it goes.

So I need to put some thought into my guy in case I get to use him again?

IrishBouzouki
February 9th, 2016, 00:00
So I need to put some thought into my guy in case I get to use him again?
Well, I don't want to jinx it or over-play my cards, but I am leaning toward an introductory adventure multi-session campaign for The One Ring, Yggdrasill or Keltia... maybe in the Spring? Summer?
I could also see doing the follow-on to this module with a larger group (maybe 6?) over a few sessions but it looks a little more sandbox-ey and I need to get my head around how to run something like that without letting people down. Luckily I have some really excellent examples I am learning from. Anyhow, we'll see how things go.