PDA

View Full Version : Exporting 5E chars to print them within HL or PCGen

fetito666
February 8th, 2016, 01:24
Hello noble heroes!

Okay, this has been asked in some way on the forums, but since 5E came out, the answers may be different.

Yesterday I bought FG on Steam and I fell in love with it. Next month I'll get the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack"-addon. Since this is the official rule set, I'll be a loyal FG user. :P

1) Can I export my 5E-character sheets from FG to "Hero Lab" or "PCGen? As far as I know both character generators only support the SRD versions. I want to print the character sheets within one of those programs.

2) Can I import 5E SRD character sheets from "Hero Lab" or "PCGen" to FG?

3) Does the character sheet lose information about stats y importing / exporting them between 5E-FG (with "D&D Complete Core Class Pack"-addon) and 5E-SRD of HL and PCGen?

Thank you!

Trenloe
February 8th, 2016, 02:04
1) Nope. I'd imagine that this would unlikely happen, unless a community member creates a conversion application. FG, PCGen, HeroLab and others got together a couple of years ago in an attempt to make it easy to transfer file between applications, but they all realised that it was going to be a big job to do (and keep compatible over time) so nothing came of it.

2) Not at this point. This would rely on a conversion application being created or the base products creating a FG valid export file.

3) Not applicable as export/import is not available. If it was, I would imagine that something wouldn't come across 100% correctly, there might be the odd thing that might mess up.

You have the option to print your FG character sheet (I know it's not what you're asking, but it might be of use to you):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27390-Universal-Character-Sheet-Printer-for-FGhttps://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27390-Universal-Character-Sheet-Printer-for-FG

or:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22440-5E-Character-sheet-from-XML

fetito666
February 8th, 2016, 02:22
Trenloe thank you! Do those options work with the 5E in combination with the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack"-addon?

damned
February 8th, 2016, 03:46
Comprehension Fail. Post removed!

Trenloe
February 8th, 2016, 04:07
Trenloe thank you! Do those options work with the 5E in combination with the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack"-addon?
Yes, the two 5E character sheet printing threads I listed above will work with characters created with the complete core class pack.

fetito666
February 8th, 2016, 04:08
Ah, then I suppose that copy & pasting the data into the official PDF-character sheets would be the best solution, right?

Trenloe
February 8th, 2016, 04:16
Ah, then I suppose that copy & pasting the data into the official PDF-character sheets would be the best solution, right?
I think our posts crossed at the same time - see post #5 above, damned was getting confused and referring to the FG->PCGEN/HeroLab discussion, not the two printing threads I linked.

damned
February 8th, 2016, 04:25
I think our posts crossed at the same time - see post #5 above, damned was getting confused and referring to the FG->PCGEN/HeroLab discussion, not the two printing threads I linked.

Correct - I misunderstood the thread or missed a post. Follow Trenloes advice - I have removed my post :)

PsychoPif
February 9th, 2016, 01:10
double post

PsychoPif
February 9th, 2016, 01:11
2) Can I import 5E SRD character sheets from "Hero Lab" or "PCGen" to FG?

It used to work for 3.5e from HL. I guess they could do it for 5e.

Unless the xml has changed a lot, I think it would be worthwhile for them.

kylania
February 9th, 2016, 03:53
They are too busy turning RealmWorks into a subscription cloud service + pay shop instead of a one time purchase awesome stand alone tool to bother with helping people get more out of HL. :)

fetito666
February 9th, 2016, 03:59
If only FG had a decent printing function I'd feel like in heaven. I hope that this will be possible with the migration to Unity.

Trenloe
February 9th, 2016, 04:16
If only FG had a decent printing function I'd feel like in heaven. I hope that this will be possible with the migration to Unity.
Try the two solutions mentioned above, they're pretty good.

fetito666
February 9th, 2016, 04:56
Trenloe, thank you! It semi-worked so far. The files were semi-messed up, but I'll try again later on.

You deserve +3000 XP.

damned
February 9th, 2016, 06:31
what do you mean by semi-messed up?
you can also create your own templates.