PDA

View Full Version : manual entry dice dialog box, possible?

davidnog
February 6th, 2016, 17:15
I have been using Fantasy Grounds to play with my groups in person and it works really well. It gets a lot of the cumbersome stuff out of the way, and as someone who as played D&D since 2nd edition I can really appreciate a session where the focus is on the decision, the action, the RP, the fun stuff...

But we all love dice... that feeling of holding the die and letting it roll on the table and the anticipation of the result really is an important part of the experience. To make FG perfect I want to be able to incorporate manual rolls into my in person sessions. I know I can always just do manual calculations as well and just use FG for reference and tracking, but the perfect solution would be to have a setting that would make every roll spawn a dialog box where I could input a manual entry to replace the result of the random function FG usually uses.

My question really is, is this possible? Could I change a ruleset? Make an extension? to make that dialog box system?

I've seen some people use some tricks with hotbars and what not and that is really not what I'm looking for, I would like it to be seamless.

Thank you.

Best,

DN

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2016, 17:39
There's certainly nothing in existence that would do that and I'm not at all sure if such a thing could be done with an extension. I suspect that whilst it might be possible it would not be an easy task since you would need to access so much of the internal mechanisms of the software.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 18:23
See this post and he links thread for options: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27904-manual-die-rolls&p=249456&viewfull=1#post249456

Damage can easily be accomplished now by using the d0 option mentioned in the linked threads. Other rolls (attacks, saves, etc.) would need the individual action modifying as they are coded to automatically use the d20. You would head to make an extension that prompts the GM to enter a dice roll value that could intercept the specific action onDiceLanded event and replace the dice result with the number entered in the manual dice field.

davidnog
February 6th, 2016, 19:03
Thanks for both replies.

Trenloe, thanks again for helping out, in your experience do you think this is technically feasible? It sounds like it might be too much of a pain to do it but most importantly to maintain it across updates.

If it's possible I might give it a try...

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 20:51
Attached below is a quick extension I threw together as a proof of concept and to get you going if you want to take it further. This is for the 5E ruleset. I've put some comments in the files in the extension.

There is a new window that allows the GM to enter the attack roll manually before rolling an attack, to open this window type /openwindow manualattackroll in the chat window. You might want to drag this to one of the hotkeys (you can see I've done this in the screenshot below). This is just for quick testing - you could easily make a button to open this window.

Operation

Open the "Manual Die Roll Entry" window with the chat command /openwindow manualattackroll
Before you roll an attack, enter the result of the players die roll in the "d20 roll" field in this window.
Roll the attack. The die will roll as usual (or two for a advantage/disadvantage roll) but the number entered in the "d20 roll" field will be used as the roll result. The field will be cleared to 0 after the roll.

The manual entry will only be used if the window is open and there is a number greater than 0 in the "d20 roll" field. If there is a 0 or the window is closed the normal dice roll will be used.

Example below - the dice roll was a 1, but his has been overridden by an 18 entered in the manual "d20 roll" field, which now shows 0 as it is cleared after each use.

Gotchas

This will only work for the GM as the /openwindow chat command only works for the host (GM) - it could be made to work for the players pretty easily by adding a button to open the manual die result window.
It only works for single attacks. If there are multiple targets, the first die to land will use the manually entered number and the subsequent dice to land will use actual dice roll. The code could be changed to cater for multiple die rolls with multiple "d20 roll" fields.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 20:56
It sounds like it might be too much of a pain to do it but most importantly to maintain it across updates.
Yeah, to do this fully for all possible dice rolls (FG "actions") would require changes for each action where a player rolls - of which there 14 different actions in the 5E ruleset (you could probably reduce this to 10-11 or less depending on what the players actually want to roll).

Each action change is done to the action manager script for each specific action. These can change with FG updates and so it can become a constant task to check for changes with each FG update and apply the extension code back into the effected action scripts. It's doable, just be prepared each time FG has a new version as not updating the extension could break base action operations (at worse) or miss out on new features/bug fixes (at best)!

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2016, 21:38
Great Scott, Trenloe. You ARE the man.

spite
February 6th, 2016, 22:50
I know it sounds terrible, but this would be very useful for when I need to pull punches if the party is close to a TPK >.<

davidnog
February 6th, 2016, 22:55
Trenloe, you Sir are awesome.

I will for sure pursue this, thank you so very much for the POC, I cannot imagine a better way for me to get into FG extensions.

Can't wait to try this at the table!

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 23:17
I know it sounds terrible, but this would be very useful for when I need to pull punches if the party is close to a TPK >.<
Yep. This works for all attack rolls from both a PC and a NPC as they use the same FG "attack" action code, so you could preset some lower NPC attack rolls if you wanted to keep the poor lambs, err... I mean PCs alive. :)

spite
February 7th, 2016, 00:15
Perhaps I am missing something, I have put the extension into the folder, and launched Fantasy Grounds, I cannot see it in the extensions to activate, is there a certain way to install this?

Griogre
February 7th, 2016, 00:41
When you start a 5E Campaign you should see the option to start the extension.

Edit: You do have to have the extension in the extension folder *before* FG starts in order to see it when you get ready to load a 5E campaign.

spite
February 7th, 2016, 01:08
I think I fixed it, I downloaded two versions and one was called xxx (1) as it was the copy, dont think it liked that. Seems to work perfectly now, and boy does it work!

damned
February 7th, 2016, 01:31
Woot! Nice one Trenloe.

kylania
February 7th, 2016, 03:19

I'm disappointed that it resets to 0 each time. I have to constantly keep typing in 20. Way too much work to kill a party! I'll just say rocks fell and they all died.

i3ullseye
February 9th, 2016, 20:42
I'm disappointed that it resets to 0 each time. I have to constantly keep typing in 20. Way too much work to kill a party! I'll just say rocks fell and they all died.

This is why forums have reputation buttons!

vikingbrad
February 11th, 2016, 22:33
Thanks Trenloe

I had a similar thread back in June 2015
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24873-Enabling-players-to-roll-their-own-physical-dice

Great that we have an option we can use for players who want to roll real dice.

A few of my players bring laptops but not everyone has FG so will work well for them

Cheers

David32780
February 12th, 2016, 02:40
Awesome Trenloe!

Thanks a ton good sir!

pauljmendoza
February 12th, 2016, 07:08
I have needed something like this from time to time :) Nice.

Niles
February 15th, 2016, 23:52
This is a fantastic option. Is there any way to roll a specific number for the PC's but from the GM's end, so they wouldn't know that the GM "loaded" the dice on his or her end? There have been a few situations where I've wanted or needed the PC's to roll a certain number (mainly critical hits) to end a battle sooner. I know I could just give the opponent less HP, but sometimes I'm looking to reward the player by allowing them to make the killing blow by rolling a crit. According to your post above it would work for a PC if they use the same FG "attack" action code. I'm looking to have it happen so they think the number that comes up is really one that they rolled.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2016, 00:36
This is a fantastic option. Is there any way to roll a specific number for the PC's but from the GM's end, so they wouldn't know that the GM "loaded" the dice on his or her end? There have been a few situations where I've wanted or needed the PC's to roll a certain number (mainly critical hits) to end a battle sooner. I know I could just give the opponent less HP, but sometimes I'm looking to reward the player by allowing them to make the killing blow by rolling a crit. According to your post above it would work for a PC if they use the same FG "attack" action code. I'm looking to have it happen so they think the number that comes up is really one that they rolled.
This is completely different and really not at all what this was put together for.

Having said that, in theory you could do it - but there could be all sorts of timing issues. The GM would need to override the player roll before they do their roll. Then, what happens if they roll something different and the override dice is used but isn't what you want. Or another player does an attack roll (or another roll) and picks up the override, etc., etc.. A lot of coding to do, with too many potential issues that could lead the PCs to knowing that you're overriding their rolls. Once they know you can do it then they'll always question their rolls in future. "Don't mess with my rolls man!" ;)

davidnog
February 16th, 2016, 23:42
Little lambs...

warderbrad
February 19th, 2016, 15:03
I like how this could be used to apply the Portent ability of the Divination Wizard

sirchibbi
February 20th, 2016, 05:19
Could a 2nd option be added to force the roll on Saves. My players like to roll there own save and having the option to force a success when they succeed on the manual save for half damage in most cases would be very helpful.

Andraax
February 20th, 2016, 15:08
I have my players roll their saves in the tower. If I want to force a success (or failure), I just tell them, regardless of what they rolled. They'll never know unless they hack my home network and download the chat logs...

spite
February 20th, 2016, 21:01
Just remember, since saves aren't against an AC or anything, they can simply roll their save, and you apply damage if they succeed or fail.
If the spell/save is a half damage on success, simply open the icon in the top right that looks like -/+ which is your modifier window, and select the "half" button before you roll damage if they succeeded.
Picture guide:
NPC chooses to attack player with Shatter.
Player rolls manual save: https://puu.sh/nfeOR/c37d643803.jpg
Let's say for arguments sake he fails, proceed to open this window: https://puu.sh/nfeSv/e5f1b45052.jpg
Click the "half" button: https://puu.sh/nfeUd/e6a8bb60e4.jpg
Roll damage, sit back in absolute satisfaction as it rolls and halves it naturally: https://puu.sh/nff24/0fb32bd8a4.jpg

sirchibbi
February 21st, 2016, 02:21
Thank you spite. I had no idea that there was a modifier window. This has helped me a great deal.

spite
March 10th, 2016, 09:14
This doesn't work for me now. Is there any reason?

damned
March 10th, 2016, 09:33

There is a built in counter. I cant remember what the limit is but once you have reached a certain number in a month it wont let you use it any more to stop you over fudging the result.
Hopefully it will be working again by next weeks game.

spite
March 10th, 2016, 09:39
Hahahaha, Damn, no 90% critical rate on my monsters anymore!

damned
March 10th, 2016, 10:10
Hahahaha, Damn, no 90% critical rate on my monsters anymore!

I thought I kept a pretty straight face!

Trenloe
March 10th, 2016, 15:46
Works fine for me. What, exactly, isn't working? For example, can you bring up the "Manual Die Roll Entry" window? Are you making an action that is an attack?

BubbaGrim
April 4th, 2016, 04:19
There is a built in counter. I cant remember what the limit is but once you have reached a certain number in a month it wont let you use it any more to stop you over fudging the result.
Hopefully it will be working again by next weeks game.

Really? Why should the program (or the programers) care how many times in a month I "fudge" a dice roll?

Trenloe
April 4th, 2016, 06:37
Really?
No. That was a joke.

BubbaGrim
April 4th, 2016, 07:14
/em looks embarrassed

RCathcart
January 8th, 2017, 14:51
I know this is a very old thread, but I was looking for manual die entry. This extension isn't working for me (it comes up, let's me put in a number but nothing else). Is there a newer version or there is some kind of command that will do the same thing? Thanks!

Andraax
January 8th, 2017, 14:55
It's built into the latest release of FG.

RCathcart
January 8th, 2017, 15:17
It's built into the latest release of FG.

Thanks. I guess I'll keep looking on how to do it.

RCathcart
January 8th, 2017, 15:31
Okay, so I figured out there is a setting in options (at the top) for manual dice entry. You can switch it on an off to allow manual input of die rolls.

In the latest build video, dev explains it at 33:30 or so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhYLoo1uoc

It does not appear to be in the latest manual yet.

From what I can tell (I'll need to check this player-side), but this setting will indicate when a manual roll has been made. So it may be obvious to players when you are fudging dice (an absolute DM prerogative) if you normally use the FG automated die rolls. Still have to check that, though.

Andraax
January 8th, 2017, 15:39
You don't need this to fudge rolls as a gm.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 16:57
There are several threads with detailed discussions regarding fudging rolls that you can search for if you want to know the various techniques and their pro's and con's for fudging rolls. Basically, FG can't flawlessly accommodate fudging, not because of technology/capability, but because if you are using the automation, then in order to fudge a roll, you have to interrupt the workflow, and as soon as you do that, the delay becomes obvious to the players.

Moon Wizard
January 8th, 2017, 20:10
In the next beta of v3.2.2, I'm removing the [MANUAL ROLL] text from GM manual rolls to help with this scenario a little.

Regards,
JPG

RCathcart
January 8th, 2017, 20:16
In the next beta of v3.2.2, I'm removing the [MANUAL ROLL] text from GM manual rolls to help with this scenario a little.

Regards,
JPG

You are da man!

"The evil cleric lies bloodied and beaten, his minions only scattered and unbreathing bodies around the crypt."

"Yay!"

"The evil cleric, in a desperate last effort, calls on his god, using divine inspiration."

"Ha! Good luck!"

Players see the die roll. It's a "1".

"Uh oh."

Zhern
January 8th, 2017, 21:08

I do not understand this "pulling punches." :)

Bidmaron
January 8th, 2017, 21:14
Fudging rolls

Zhern
January 9th, 2017, 00:19
Yes, I know. The smiley indicated a joke. I roll in front of my players and do not pull punches.

Niles
March 16th, 2021, 18:01
I have an extension that will allow you to input the number you want the player to roll before they roll it. It doesn't change the number on the 3D dice, it changes the text number that comes up. I have my players black out their dice so they still get the feel of rolling dice but they can't tell the number on the dice doesn't match the text number. The text number overrides everything too. So I want their next roll to be a 20 but it comes up a 2 on the die...the 20 overrides the 2.