PDA

View Full Version : Steam purchase options

presence
February 5th, 2016, 19:06
Hey everyone,

Is there a way to just buy the ultimate fantasy grounds license without first buying a normal license and then an upgrade to ultimate? There is a $5 hit to buy it separate like that...

Kevin

Nylanfs
February 5th, 2016, 19:16
On Steam no, it has to be a separate operation because of how Valve handles it.

presence
February 5th, 2016, 19:24
Damn. When you buy direct from SmiteWorks, do you get steam codes? I don't want to have to download and install updates manually...

Trenloe
February 5th, 2016, 19:32
the Steam application is just a front end to the standard FG application. If you buy from the Smiteworks site, you can use your FG key to activate on Steam (keys uploaded approximately once a month), so you get the Steam side anyway.

The main reasons to buy on Steam are if there are any Steam specific sales, or you aren't purchasing in USD and get a better currency exchange rate.

Note: If you're using a Mac don't purchase any DLC from Steam - the updater can't read Steam DLC on a Mac. The base Fantasy Grounds application is OK through Steam on a Mac, but not the DLC.

If you buy DLC from Smiteworks this is straight in their update system - you won't get a corresponding Steam code for DLC.

presence
February 5th, 2016, 19:39
the Steam application is just a front end to the standard FG application. If you buy from the Smiteworks site, you can use your FG key to activate on Steam (keys uploaded approximately once a month), so you get the Steam side anyway.

This sounds great. Does this mean that if I activate the product purchased directly from smiteworks BEFORE activating on steam (due to delays on key updates), that I will hit a licensing issue? I'm hoping to start my campaign in a week or so, and I don't want to have to figure out how to solve problems I can avoid.

Trenloe
February 5th, 2016, 19:42
There will be no issues - you can use FG 100% without Steam. I do.

presence
February 5th, 2016, 19:46
What I mean is, can I activate the product outside of steam, use it until my key becomes available for steam activation, and then activate the product on steam at that point?

Trenloe
February 5th, 2016, 19:47
Yes.

presence
February 5th, 2016, 19:50
Perfect! Thanks for your help!

damned
February 6th, 2016, 01:03
Keys get synced up to Steam every 6-8 weeks. You will 100% be able to play so long as you input your key. And at some point it will automagically appear in your Steam Inventory too.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 01:06
https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

PTBBC.ORG
February 24th, 2016, 19:01
Glad I found this post. I just purchased everything I thought I would need from the FG website last night (before the website updated with the "purchase steam license" option), and when I tried to find them in my Steam account or to put in my key I got from FG, it didn't work. Thought I was going to flip a brick... whew.... I was able to add it as a non-steam game, but from what I am reading it will update to a steam version or whatever at some point....???

Nylanfs
February 24th, 2016, 19:04
Yes, appx every 6 weeks or so they send a list of keys to Valve and once that is done you can add it. There's a thread on this in the Steam FG discussions.

damned
February 24th, 2016, 21:10
so it wont actually become a steam version all by itself but if the email address you use here is also used on Steam then in the next few weeks your keys will be applied to your steam account too. you can install it then from steam if required (it does however still come back to the same install files to run teh app from).