PDA

View Full Version : Updating a Module

davidnog
February 5th, 2016, 15:36
Hi,

New to FG2 and the forum so I guess... Hello!

I have searched for an answer to this but I haven't come to a clear conclusion, sorry if the question has been asked before.

If I export a campaing to a module and then use that module in another campaign how can I then update that module? How will that impact the campaigns where I have enabled the module?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

DN

jshauber
February 5th, 2016, 15:44
Hello and Welcome!!!!

You can update the module by going back to the original and making changes, then re-exporting. When you open it in another campaign your changes will show up. If it is something that you have already shared/revealed to players then they won't see anything new until you re-share it. If it is something that you have added/changed, but hasn't been shown yet then only you will see the changes.

I do this all the time. I start a new module which the players in campaign are exploring. As they progress I add to it as needed until I reach an end point (and start a new module). The newly added stuff shows up after I re-export and open in the campaign.

davidnog
February 5th, 2016, 15:55
Hi jshauber and thanks for answering!

My main concern is if for example I link something in my campaign to something in a module, if I re-export the module will that link hold?

When I re-export the module the idea is to export it to the same file?

thanks!

Trenloe
February 5th, 2016, 15:59
jshauber is (mostly) right with what he says. Where more clarification is needed is if FG thinks you've edited any module entries in your playing campaign. These will be indicated by the book and quill icon, see here for info on campaign/module data and the icons: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data#Campaign_Data_List

If FG thinks a module entry has been edited (purely within an individual campaign - you can't "edit" the base module entries once the module is created, you need to create an updated module as jshauber says) then you'll need to tell the campaign to resync the data - you can do this by right-clicking on an individual record and selecting resync or you can do this for the whole module in the module activation screen by right-clicking on the module and selecting resync.

davidnog
February 5th, 2016, 16:13
thanks for your answer Trenloe.

Maybe it's best if I explain my plan. I have created a campaing which essentially will serve as the base for my homebrew campaign setting, it contains content which is relevant to several adventure modules I plan on creating. In essence all those separate adventure modules will "depend" on the campaign setting.

From both your answers what I understand is that whenever I want to make a change I can just go back to my campaign containing the campaign setting make the changes and then re-export it to the same file. In ideal conditions the content is synced in my other campaigns which I used as adventures and have the main campaign setting module enabled. In certain conditions I might have to resync the content but FG would let me know by using the quil icon?

In my tests this logic seems to work, if I link for example a story entry from my campaign setting module in my adventure campaign and I change the content of that story entry this is reflected in my adventure campaign. In what situations would this not happen?

Thanks again.

Trenloe
February 5th, 2016, 16:23
From both your answers what I understand is that whenever I want to make a change I can just go back to my campaign containing the campaign setting make the changes and then re-export it to the same file. In ideal conditions the content is synced in my other campaigns which I used as adventures and have the main campaign setting module enabled. In certain conditions I might have to resync the content but FG would let me know by using the quil icon?
Correct. It will be up to you to manually resync each entry or the whole module. There is nothing that will tell you that you need to resync - the quill on book icon is just letting you know that you've edited that module entry within the campaign - it won't tell you if the base module has changed.

In my tests this logic seems to work, if I link for example a story entry from my campaign setting module in my adventure campaign and I change the content of that story entry this is reflected in my adventure campaign. In what situations would this not happen?
As long as you used the link from a module entity (story, NPC, etc.) to create the link then changes to the base module will be reflected (you may need to resync the module to see the changes). If, however, you created a copy of the entity in the campaign (e.g. dragged an NPC from the library to the NPC listing) then this will be stored within the campaign only. Making a link to the copied NPC (for example) would be to the copied data and so updates to the base NPC in the module wouldn't be reflected into the copied NPC. The icon will tell you if it's a module entity (book icon), so as long as you're aware of the difference between campaign data (no book icon) and module data (book icon) you should be OK.

davidnog
February 5th, 2016, 16:39
I think I get it.

Thank you both for the help!