PDA

View Full Version : TV as map?

SilverBulletKY
February 3rd, 2016, 20:34
I see a lot of projector threads, but has anyone just used a flat screen tv as the map?

Moon Wizard
February 3rd, 2016, 23:18
I've seen people use the TV as their second monitor to show the player view, and I've done it myself. I haven't actually laid it flat on the table though.

JPG

Ken L
February 4th, 2016, 00:22
If you have a touch-screen TV, d20pro has a good native touch support option. If you're displaying it as a second monitor, I'd recommend oversizing the FG player view window such that the only pane that is visible is the map sub-window.

Moon Wizard
February 4th, 2016, 01:09
I actually use it for maps, sharing images, using the combat tracker (esp. health and effects) as well as running the whole adventure and NPCs through the GM screen.

Regards,
JPG

Nylanfs
February 4th, 2016, 02:20
I worry about using it as the map (ie flat) about scratches, drinks spilled etc. And if you put it under plexi and a seal that kinda defeats the purpose.

feral1
February 4th, 2016, 02:51
There are actually several YouTube videos of people that have built TV's into gaming tables. That's the way I'd go if my group actually met in person.

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2016, 04:16
I use mine all the time. It's a (relatively) cheap 55" inch mounted on a swing mount on the wall. We put a map and our Skype windows up on it.

We use this setup for one of my campaigns were we are usually in 2 groups (one in western US, the other in eastern Canada).

SkyphosLush
February 4th, 2016, 17:47
There is a tablet table that's reasonably priced for it's obscurity. It has an HDMI port that with a bit of know how could be used as an input rather than output if your trying to use FG on it. Although there are enough android D&D resources available to use it as a stand alone. The company is called Ideum and me and my friends have looked into getting this for Golem Arcana, an android mini battle game.

Skellan
February 10th, 2016, 04:37
I have run games lying a tv flat and didn't have any problems. it was surprisingly resilient to scratches.

I have probably jinxed it now though