PDA

View Full Version : Remember when.....

Aegis
February 3rd, 2016, 18:45
Anyone remember playing d&d with no miniatures/tokens? My bro and I were discussing this last week. When we first started, there were no miniatures. Now I can't imagine not having them. :)

GunnarGreybeard
February 3rd, 2016, 19:02
Yep, back in the day we only used graph paper and pencil and everyone just verbally provided their location/actions.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2016, 19:08
Yep, back in the day we only used graph paper and pencil and everyone just verbally provided their location/actions.

Luxury, we didn't have Graph paper and pencils.

We used to have to get out of the lake at six o’clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of ‘ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky! :)

Apolala
February 3rd, 2016, 19:54
Luxury, we didn't have Graph paper and pencils.

We used to have to get out of the lake at six o’clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of ‘ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky! :)

Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Krimson
February 3rd, 2016, 19:56
My first miniatures were dice. :D

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2016, 20:16
Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

This thread is getting silly :)

Apolala
February 3rd, 2016, 20:34
It's silly, very silly indeed.

However, FG is my first experience using maps, and tokens for characters and monsters. But it is for my new group, so I'm just using the correct tools that appeals to those players. My old group when it can get together, still runs it in a theater of the mind way, as that is the correct way for that group.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2016, 21:27
Yeah, we started using miniatures when 4e came out since you pretty much had to in order to run games in 4e. Before that though, miniatures were something I only used when playing Warhammer.

And yes, it was all pretty much theatre of the mind.

TMO
February 4th, 2016, 05:43
I remember not even having dice. One of the older Basic D&D boxed set had "chicklets" which we had to cut up and draw out of a bag.

Mask_of_winter
February 4th, 2016, 08:04
With Lonewolf you had to close your eyes and point to a table with random numbers with your pencil.

Phystus
February 4th, 2016, 15:01
I remember not even having dice. One of the older Basic D&D boxed set had "chicklets" which we had to cut up and draw out of a bag.

Yep! Though it also came with a coupon you could send in to the Dungeon Hobby Shop in Lake Geneva, WI for a set of dice. I still have the chits. And the envelope the dice came in. I think the only die I have left is the d4 though - they didn't last well.

~P

mghauber
February 4th, 2016, 15:43
We just played last night without mini's. The group fought a flying dragon who was pretty mobile, so its sort of difficult to use mini's/tokens to "square dance" when you have a large area dynamic like that.
The group didn't seem to mind at all. I think a lot depends on the players and the capability of imagining the scene... And I don't believe I described it as well as I would have liked... Mini's and tokens are cool, but it doesn't compare to the mind's eye...

Phystus
February 4th, 2016, 18:29
Yeah, the mind's eye thing can be good or bad. On the one hand, the players may imagine something far cooler than I could ever draw. (Given my artistic level, that's almost a given!) On the other hand their vision may be so far from yours that something they think should be possible seems completely unreasonable to you.

Callum
February 4th, 2016, 21:55
We had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before we went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work 29-hour day down t'mill and pay mill owner for t'privilege of coming to work, and when we got home our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah!

And we played for a long time simply using verbal descriptions, with no physical representstion of the characters, foes, or environment at all. We then started using Dungeon Floor Plans with miniatures (and the occasional dice for a monster when no suitable miniature was to hand).

dulux-oz
February 4th, 2016, 23:27
I resisted the urge to jump in and finish this particular line of quotes 24 hours ago because someone was saying that it was getting silly - so I bit my tounge.

Now, SOMEONE'S gone and done what I refrained from doing, so now all bets are off! So...

We had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before we went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work 29-hour day down t'mill and pay mill owner for t'privilege of coming to work, and when we got home our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah!

And you try and tell the young gamers of today that - and they won't believe you. They won't!

:p

Aegis
February 5th, 2016, 00:42
Lol..good times!

tigarth
February 8th, 2016, 05:58
when I fisrt started playing we were so poor we had to make our own dice and hope to god we could find core rulebooks in the trash behind the local game store

JohnD
February 8th, 2016, 20:02
Hmm I remember walking 5 miles to and from school every day, up hill both ways and in 4' of snow year round.

jshauber
February 8th, 2016, 21:26
YEAH, well I had to get up at the crack of noon to get a limo ride to a private tutor that was an ex-Swedish bikini team member, so I don't want to hear about how rough you all had it!!!!

dulux-oz
February 8th, 2016, 23:54
YEAH, well I had to get up at the crack of noon to get a limo ride to a private tutor that was an ex-Swedish bikini team member, so I don't want to hear about how rough you all had it!!!!

Man, I wish I went to your school... err...

tigarth
February 9th, 2016, 01:30
lmao
no doubt