PDA

View Full Version : [BUG] PFRPG: NPC sheet SQ field

Togainu
February 3rd, 2016, 14:40
Greetings fellow adventurers,

I think the following situation might be a bug unless this is an intentional implementation.

When you create or have an NPC with the SQ field filled out with one of the following:

DR 5/magic;
DR 5 magic;
Damage Reduction 5 magic;

and add this NPC to the combat tracker it won't only add the DR effect. It will also add the effect: DMGTYPE: magic

I was wondering if there is a way around this or if this is actually a bug that needs fixing. (I know this is probably because magic is a keyword for that effect. But it is slightly annoying having to remove that by hand every time I add such an NPC or adding the DR manually)

With kind regards,

Togainu

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2016, 16:48
This is because creatures with DR overcome by magic weapons also do magic damage with their natural attacks. See the 4th paragraph in the damage reduction entry here: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/universalMonsterRules.html#damage-reduction

Togainu
February 3rd, 2016, 17:01
The issue is using DMGTYPE: magic also does this for normal weapons (which certain creatures might have and actually using) and not just natural attacks.
But oh well I guess that will just be preference guess I will just keep removing it manually from things

Nylanfs
February 3rd, 2016, 17:09
Actually I thought that applied to ALL attacks they made, ie them being magical extended to all natural and normal weapons they picked up.

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2016, 17:16
The issue is using DMGTYPE: magic also does this for normal weapons (which certain creatures might have and actually using) and not just natural attacks.
Understood, but I think you'll find that the majority of Paizo bestiary creatures with DR/magic use natural weapons (at least in my quick look over a few creatures). But, as you say, this doesn't cover 100% of possibilities.

Actually I thought that applied to ALL attacks they made, ie them being magical extended to all natural and normal weapons they picked up.
Nope, see the link I provided above.