PDA

View Full Version : Random NPC Generator! [3.5, 4e, 5e, and Pathfinder]

WilliamJFox
February 3rd, 2016, 08:15
Hey guys!

I spent a while putting together this for personal use in my campaign, and I thought what the heck, other people might use it! I don't know if this actually counts as an extension as it doesn't add any additional code to the program, but I didn't see anywhere else to put it.

This is a random NPC generator. It's technically just a super complex Table that I exported after I tweaked it to work better in a more generic setting. One click and you'll be given a Gender and Race/Subrace [as well as an appropriate name] along with a distinguishing trait, an 'attitude' (friendly, surly, snooty, etc) and a suggestion for how to voice the character!

The program covers all of the races in the 5th edition Players Handbook along with Aasimar, with 12-20 names for each race (6-10 for male/female) and includes additional 'half-breed' races such as Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf, and Half-Elf/Half-Dwarf. As this is a table, anything that you don't want to include in your campaign can be removed with the click of a button, and it only takes a few minutes to set up rolls for an uncommon or homebrew race! You can even remove entire features, such as NPCs with Class Levels, with a few clicks. This module should work as an excellent baseline for use in any setting!

I hope you guys get some use out of this, I know I will! Happy Gaming!

--Bleeding Barghest

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 10:29
Welcome WilliamJFox!

As you say - its not an extension - it is a module.
That matters not at all - thank you for making and for sharing :)

ctcharger
March 16th, 2016, 04:37
How do I use modules? Extensions I figured out, is it the same?

Trenloe
March 16th, 2016, 05:12
How do I use modules? Extensions I figured out, is it the same?
Very similar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Modules

JimSocks
January 25th, 2017, 14:32
WilliamJFox,

I am finishing up a store generator mod, and I used some of the work you did here to help generate the shopkeepers. Are you OK with me doing that? If not I can figure something different out, but I really love your mod here (I use it a lot!) and it works so well for shopkeeper generation as well.

Let me know! :)

WilliamJFox
January 25th, 2017, 15:05
WilliamJFox,

I am finishing up a store generator mod, and I used some of the work you did here to help generate the shopkeepers. Are you OK with me doing that? If not I can figure something different out, but I really love your mod here (I use it a lot!) and it works so well for shopkeeper generation as well.

Let me know! :)

Absolutely man! Go right ahead! Just be sure to link it hetr :)

ghilteras
January 26th, 2017, 05:12
Hey, I just tried to put the NPC module in the folder but it's nowhere to be found in my data module activation.. I'm using 5e on latest FG version. Maybe the module is not working wit the latest FG?

Trenloe
January 26th, 2017, 05:15
Hey, I just tried to put the NPC module in the folder but it's nowhere to be found in my data module activation.. I'm using 5e on latest FG version. Maybe the module is not working wit the latest FG?
Works fine for me - it's called "Random NPC Generator [Generic]".

You'll need to restart FG after copying the module in to the <Fg app data>\modules directory. It is tagged for the 5E ruleset, so will only be available in 5E campaigns.

JimSocks
January 26th, 2017, 06:28
I have posted the Merchant Generator!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36347-Merchant-Generator-Mod&p=317184#post317184

Thanks to your work it really helped flesh out the shopkeepers! Your original functionality is also included as a sub-table entitled "03 - Casual NPC Generator"

ghilteras
January 26th, 2017, 20:23
Works fine for me - it's called "Random NPC Generator [Generic]".

You'll need to restart FG after copying the module in to the <Fg app data>\modules directory. It is tagged for the 5E ruleset, so will only be available in 5E campaigns.

Yep I dropped the file there and restarted FG but like I said it's nowhere to be found in the library/token section, any idea where I can go to debug further?

EDIT: looks like I have a copy of the FG directory and I was dropping the mod file in the wrong dir? Is there a way to find what's the legit <Fg app data> directory for my instance?

Trenloe
January 26th, 2017, 21:24
Is there a way to find what's the legit <Fg app data> directory for my instance?
Start FG, click the folder icon in the top right.