PDA

View Full Version : Spell points variant rule

Tanya
February 3rd, 2016, 02:34
I can't figure out how to activate this in fantasy grounds. Any help would be appreciated.

JohnD
February 3rd, 2016, 02:37
I don't think they have implemented it yet.

Tanya
February 3rd, 2016, 02:49
Thanks for the quick reply. Now I can stop going nuts looking and just wait impatiently lol

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 12:47
We use it manually. Set up a Weapon called Spell Points and make it ranged/missile and give it as much AMMO as you have Spell Points and use that to track the usage... I am sure there are other ways too.

Tanya
February 3rd, 2016, 13:08
I love that idea thanks damned. I can get this game started tonight.

Rlvaughn
January 8th, 2017, 10:27
I did the same for my 5th Ed game. It is a good idea.

Nickademus
January 8th, 2017, 10:42
The ammo method doesn't refresh on a long rest. If your points are something that you get back on a long rest, make a power called Spell Points and in the Preparation Mode give it a number of daily uses equal to your SP.

LongShot
February 21st, 2017, 02:40
Brilliant!

Willot
February 21st, 2017, 07:36
Really need a proper spell point variant option tho. This method does for for awhile but once a wizard hits hight levels There an awful lot of little dots to tick when he/she casts the higher spells... :)

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2017, 10:53
Add it in to the wish list or vote if it's already there.

aburnstorm
September 25th, 2018, 03:43
All, I realize I'm way late to the discussion on this one, but I'm just checking in. I've recently joined up with FantasyGrounds and am getting my ruleset and extensions sorted out. Has there been any luck implementing this? If not, can anyone provide a noob the guide to how to create a power like Nickademus mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2018, 10:30
Hi aburnstorm welcome to FG.

You can read how to set up a power group here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Powers). Once set up go into preparation mode (see further down that article for how to do that) and set the uses to the number you need.

aburnstorm
September 25th, 2018, 11:18
Hi aburnstorm welcome to FG.

You can read how to set up a power group here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Powers). Once set up go into preparation mode (see further down that article for how to do that) and set the uses to the number you need.

Thanks Zacchaeus! I’ll try it out.

epithet
September 27th, 2018, 01:38
I would have thought that this would be properly implemented by now, as a toggle option in settings.

lostsanityreturned
September 27th, 2018, 08:31
I would have thought that this would be properly implemented by now, as a toggle option in settings.

It would be nice, but most fringe use variants aren't implemented in FG.

I have a list that I want to work on, but I am not going to bother until FGU releases as I expect there to be quite a few changes.

I will be working on Proficiency dice first though (I love the variant rule for oneshots).

Trenloe
September 27th, 2018, 18:35
I have a list that I want to work on, but I am not going to bother until FGU releases as I expect there to be quite a few changes.
I don't think you'll see many new ruleset specific functions/options when FGU comes out. Remember that FGU will use CoreRPG and 5E ruleset files, just like FG uses now. All of the 5E specific coding is in the 5E.pak ruleset file. FGU is a platform change, that will bring new generic RPG system and VTT functionality, but it won't suddenly come with a new set of RPG specific ruleset functionality - CoreRPG might change in some way to cater for new, generic VTT functionality, but new functionality in 5E as part of the FGU release? I would be surprised if it did...

EDIT: So, what I'm trying to say is - if you have an idea for write some 5E extensions, don't wait thinking it might come along in FGU...

epithet
September 28th, 2018, 15:44
It would be nice, but most fringe use variants aren't implemented in FG.
I think some of the DMG options would cease to be "fringe use" if they were supported by 5e on FG. My group, for example, would probably switch to spell points if the option were supported as an alternative to spell slots, but not if we have to look for a "work-around" for it.

lostsanityreturned
September 29th, 2018, 01:00
I think some of the DMG options would cease to be "fringe use" if they were supported by 5e on FG. My group, for example, would probably switch to spell points if the option were supported as an alternative to spell slots, but not if we have to look for a "work-around" for it.

I doubt it, it isn't a PHB option and therefore will always be fringe. It is also fiddlier than spell slots. It would be nice to have don't get me wrong, and having the option would have it see more use. But it will always be a fringe option and because it takes more effort to run/track and is buried in the DMG.

epithet
September 29th, 2018, 23:40
I doubt it, it isn't a PHB option and therefore will always be fringe. It is also fiddlier than spell slots. It would be nice to have don't get me wrong, and having the option would have it see more use. But it will always be a fringe option and because it takes more effort to run/track and is buried in the DMG.
You could say the same thing about "slow natural healing" or re-rolling initiative every round, both of which are "buried" in the DMG and both pretty widely used. I think as a general principle, all the "official" options that are in the DMG and require mechanical implementation should be toggle options in the campaign settings, but I certainly understand that some (like "Personality Trait Proficiency") aren't really something you can code. Others, like proficiency dice and spell points, are the sort of options that a VTT could really make much more fun to use than they would be with traditional pen and paper.

LordEntrails
September 29th, 2018, 23:56
Have you voted on it in the wishlist? That's the best way to let SmiteWorks know what is important to their customers.

I think you'll have to add it, since I couldn't find it. Either very few people are interested in it, or no one has gotten around to requesting it yet. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

aburnstorm
September 30th, 2018, 00:28
Thanks LordEntrails.

My sense on this is that this would be a great feature if it could be incorporated into the "Use a GUI ruleset builder to build rulesets" request. I upvoted this request in the hope that this would be something that could be included. Even if a full rule-set can't be used, it IS pretty hard to adjust rules without essentially re-writing the entire player's handbook manually (and then handing out new sections to players when they start). It's not the end of the world, but this tweak is one of many that could go into this larger GUI ruleset builder, even if it comes instead as a "GUI 5e ruleset extension builder".

epithet
September 30th, 2018, 01:44
I could be wrong, but maybe the reason no one has gotten around to requesting it is that it is an option described in the Dungeon Master's Guide for this edition, and many people might assume that all of the "official" options described in the core books will be implemented as soon as practical by the good folks at SmiteWorks, in the due course of officially supporting D&D 5e within Fantasy Grounds. I don't recall seeing "slow natural healing" or "massive damage" on the idea informer wishlist (though it might have been,) but as DMG rules options I wasn't surprised when they were implemented.

I went ahead and added prof dice and spell points to the list, but it seems to me the list is better used for general QoL issues like sound effects and dynamic lighting. Support for optional rules described in the core books of a game system shouldn't be something we have to lobby for.

But yeah, well, you know... That's just, like, my opinion, man.

damned
September 30th, 2018, 02:21
I could be wrong, but maybe the reason no one has gotten around to requesting it is that it is an option described in the Dungeon Master's Guide for this edition, and many people might assume that all of the "official" options described in the core books will be implemented as soon as practical by the good folks at SmiteWorks, in the due course of officially supporting D&D 5e within Fantasy Grounds. I don't recall seeing "slow natural healing" or "massive damage" on the idea informer wishlist (though it might have been,) but as DMG rules options I wasn't surprised when they were implemented.

I went ahead and added prof dice and spell points to the list, but it seems to me the list is better used for general QoL issues like sound effects and dynamic lighting. Support for optional rules described in the core books of a game system shouldn't be something we have to lobby for.

But yeah, well, you know... That's just, like, my opinion, man.

Post a link to your entry to make it easier for others to vote on

epithet
September 30th, 2018, 03:43
Post a link to your entry to make it easier for others to vote on

Ok.

Spell Points (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=121259)

Proficiency Dice (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=121260)

lostsanityreturned
September 30th, 2018, 14:45
You could say the same thing about "slow natural healing" or re-rolling initiative every round, both of which are "buried" in the DMG and both pretty widely used. I think as a general principle, all the "official" options that are in the DMG and require mechanical implementation should be toggle options in the campaign settings, but I certainly understand that some (like "Personality Trait Proficiency") aren't really something you can code. Others, like proficiency dice and spell points, are the sort of options that a VTT could really make much more fun to use than they would be with traditional pen and paper.

Yup and I would absolutely suggest that they aren't used that widely and would still be fringe rules.

I want the program to include their functionality too, but it will just take time for them to come into the program. Because the variants that you see now didn't come in with the introduction of the 5e ruleset for the most part either.

I even said I am going to work on some myself in a post unity world, so that should indicate how interested I am in having these options be in FG. But it is fringe.

epithet
July 11th, 2021, 18:43
A couple of years have gone by, and we've switched over to FGU. The features "wish list" is gone. As far as I can tell, there is no movement on implementing the Spell Points option rule. Did I miss it? I have a toddler, so I miss a lot these days.

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2021, 19:00
No you haven't missed anything. this hasn't been implemented. Wish list is alive and well (although it's a new one - the old one is gone). Link in my signature.