PDA

View Full Version : Map Display Size

SteveG
March 13th, 2005, 02:15
Just purchased FG, definately a fergin' useful piece of work, was using Screen Monkey. I would like to be able to have the map screen resizable up to screen resolution for both GM and Player. Or perhaps a seperate Map screen from the GM client. I use multiple monitors and this would be most helpful.

Steveg

Dalken
March 13th, 2005, 03:01
I read somewhere that CTRL click and drag will resize windows.

SteveG
March 13th, 2005, 04:21
True enough it does, but the max size is limited to about half of the desktop unfortunately.

SteveG

Goblin-King
March 13th, 2005, 08:02
If you wish, you can modify the maximum size of the image window by creating a custom ruleset. The sizes are specified in the file data\ui_adventure.xml which you have to copy and replace in your ruleset.

We do currently also have some image improvement ideas on our list of things that would be nice, and they might go in at some point.

sunbeam60
March 13th, 2005, 10:03
Yes, but am I not right in claiming that players always have the same size map as the DM, so if the DM resizes his map to something that won't fit onto the players screens, you could be in a world of hurt?

Bjorn

Ged
March 13th, 2005, 10:20
Player's have the same size map than the GM had at the time he or she shared it. But the default restriction is there exactly for the reason sunbeam said, a GM might not notice that a picture is too big, resulting in less enjoyable tabletop for the players. Also the default size prevents very long upload times and thus makes games run more smoothly. However, if the GM wishes to do the change and knows what he or she is doing, it is possible as Goblin King pointed out.

SteveG
March 14th, 2005, 04:42
Hmm.. I've changed the values as such....

<windowclass name="imagewindow">
<frame name="imagebox" />
<datasource name="image" />
<dynamic control="host" />
<maximumsize width="1280" height="800" />
<minimumsize width="200" height="200" />
<minimize icon="minimized_image" />
<usepointers control="image" />
<sharable />
<sheetdata>

and....

<windowclass name="newimagewindow">
<frame name="imagebox" />
<datasource name="image" />
<dynamic control="host" />
<defaultsize width="546" height="549" />
<maximumsize width="1280" height="800" />
<minimumsize width="200" height="200" />
<minimize icon="minimized_image" />
<sharable />
<usepointers control="image" />
<sheetdata>

but there has been no change in the max size I can make the image window. What directory should I put my copy of the ui_adventure.xml in? I have tried the data and also editted the base.xml to load it from the ruleset\d20v2 (copy of ruleset) and still no success.

SteveG

Goblin-King
March 14th, 2005, 06:19
What directory should I put my copy of the ui_adventure.xml in? I have tried the data and also editted the base.xml to load it from the ruleset\d20v2 (copy of ruleset) and still no success.

You should put all files you modify under a new folder you create in the "rulesets" directory (in your case "d20v2", I think). Remember that any campaigns you have will not use this new ruleset, unless you change their ruleset configuration by hand in the campaign.xml file you can find in the campaign folders.

More information on the file and folder setup here (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40).

SteveG
March 14th, 2005, 21:35
Ahhh.. thank you for the point to the mod posts... file me under slow but trainable. I was able to achieve my goal and can now spend time fiddlin with the rest of the files :) .

Thanks again, SteveG

Spyke
November 13th, 2005, 09:46
I have the reverse of the issue handled above. I've created a graphic to track time and weather during a session using suitable tokens (see link below) but when I load it into FG the image is zoomed. The graphic is 539 x 84 pixels, and it's clearly zooming the height of 84 up to 200. I've tried editing data\ui_adventure.xml directly to have a minimum height of 50 pixels assuming this would then affect the standard d20 ruleset, but this didn't solve the problem.

Is it possible to change this without creating a custom ruleset?

What is the reasoning behind having a minimum height and width of 200 pixels?

Spyke

The image is in this thread at Adventuresome Dreams:

https://www.adventuresomedreams.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502

Ged
November 13th, 2005, 19:08
You cannot make changes to the default ruleset, but there is really no drawback in making a modified rulesets as you can assign compatibility to the other rulesets using the importinfo and accpetfrom tags, e.g.

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20" />
</importinfo>

The reason for the minimum picture size is something as petty as the frame graphics: For smaller images the borders would be truncated and look bad.

Alkaven
November 13th, 2005, 21:57
Does it have to look pretty? I would sooner prefer functionality over prettiness.

Spyke
November 14th, 2005, 18:21
Thanks Ged, I'll have a play and see if I can live with dodgy borders. :wink:

danielpryor
January 27th, 2006, 12:18
Ahhh.. thank you for the point to the mod posts... file me under slow but trainable. I was able to achieve my goal and can now spend time fiddlin with the rest of the files :) .

Thanks again, SteveG

I can't find the mods posts and no one has explained the file structures for me in enough detail. I'm not stupid but I need hard cold data and information to customize this thing to the way I want to. I also want to get the map screen sizes to 1280 x 1000, etc. I simply don't know what the devs were thinking by not making the maps more scaleable, every program I've ever seen that does anything similiar to this allows for full screen by one button click for Pete's sake! LOL!

Crusader
January 27th, 2006, 14:31
I answered your question in the Tavern. I guess that they wanted to make sure that even those poor bastards using a resolution of 800x600 wouldn't end up with more map than they could fit on a screen.