PDA

View Full Version : Displaying mass and length units according to SI

Alduin Starborn
February 2nd, 2016, 14:14
I'm new to FG and even after browsing through the wiki I cannot seem to find an answer to the following question:

Is there a way to display weight/load in [kg] and speed/radius/etc. in [m]?

Thank you

dulux-oz
February 2nd, 2016, 14:19
Hi Alduin,

No, not easily. Fantasy RPGs have traditionally used the Imperial system for measurements, and so FG generally defaults to that.

I'm currently working on an Extension which will allow the GM to define any measurement system they want and to convert automatically from one system to the next, but its a fair way off yet.

May I ask why you'd like to use the SI system? Is their a particular RPG that you're playing that uses it?

Oh, and Welcome! to the Community :)

Cheers

Alduin Starborn
February 2nd, 2016, 14:32
I'm playing ol' good D&D, but I'm not used to work with imperial units (why?! Why do you insist on using weird units?! ;)). Either I used translated books in the past or simply made my own equipment spreadsheets.
I was simply wondering if there was the option to use SI units, since at first glance it does not seem a big deal to convert units before printing them on screen.
It is no big deal anyway, I'll patiently wait for your Extension :)

dulux-oz
February 2nd, 2016, 14:39
imperial units (why?! Why do you insist on using weird units?! ;)).

I suppose two reasons - (1) RPGs were primarily invented in the USA, and the USA uses Imperial measurements, and (2) Fantasy RPGs are normally set in the past, so using "old" Imperial Units helps the flavour of those olden times.

Mind you, I once ran a game set in the land of the Incas/Olmecs, so I researched their calendar and measurement systems and made my players use that. It was fun and really captured the flavour, but then again I've been accused of having no life (see here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25610-Coin-Size-amp-Mass-Results-amp-Recommendations-From-An-Investigation)).

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2016, 15:01
I'm playing ol' good D&D, but I'm not used to work with imperial units (why?! Why do you insist on using weird units?! ;)). Either I used translated books in the past or simply made my own equipment spreadsheets.
I was simply wondering if there was the option to use SI units, since at first glance it does not seem a big deal to convert units before printing them on screen.
It is no big deal anyway, I'll patiently wait for your Extension :)

You don't really need to do any converting since you can just treat the units as SI rather than imperial. All you need weight for is to have an idea of what a PC is carrying and if the amount carried exceeds a threshold then things happen. It doesn't matter whether that threshold or the weight of the items is measured in Kg, lbs or even cubits. They are just numbers. Same really for distances; it doesn't really matter whether you think in terms of feet or metres just think of it as distance. If you 'translate' everything from feet to metres you are still being true to the scale of the game.

I suppose two reasons - (1) RPGs were primarily invented in the USA, and the USA uses Imperial measurements, and (2) Fantasy RPGs are normally set in the past, so using "old" Imperial Units helps the flavour of those olden times.

Mind you, I once ran a game set in the land of the Incas/Olmecs, so I researched their calendar and measurement systems and made my players use that. It was fun and really captured the flavour, but then again I've been accused of having no life (see here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25610-Coin-Size-amp-Mass-Results-amp-Recommendations-From-An-Investigation)).

And I stick by my assessment :)

Nylanfs
February 2nd, 2016, 17:01
Stupid as Jimmy Carter, the US should damn well be all switched to the metric system by now.

Alduin Starborn
February 2nd, 2016, 17:08
My dear commonwealth friends, it's a matter of habit. For you the use of imperial units is as natural as breathing, for me it is not.
I do understand that using either unit types is irrelevant when considering game mechanics, but it's a bit annoying on a practical level. If you tell me that something weights 7 lb it means nothing, I have to convert the value (3.15 kg) to have an idea of what we are talking about.
I agree that it does not require some superhuman feat to convert [lb] to [kg], but as I already said, it's a bit annoying.

I suppose two reasons - (1) RPGs were primarily invented in the USA, and the USA uses Imperial measurements, and (2) Fantasy RPGs are normally set in the past, so using "old" Imperial Units helps the flavor of those olden times.

I know, I was simply provoking you ;) However keep in mind that even in medieval times each country had its specific unit system, even if you consider only Europe .

jshauber
February 2nd, 2016, 17:08
Stupid as Jimmy Carter, the US should damn well be all switched to the metric system by now.

But that would require people to learn something new and different that is outside their comfort zone. HEAVEN FORBID!!!!

Luckily I went the science route for my education so am well versed in both systems and can actually do conversion easily.

Besides, Antiquated is always best....

dulux-oz
February 3rd, 2016, 02:24
My dear commonwealth friends ... I was simply provoking you ;)

Dude, don't blame the Commonwealth (of Australia - or even the British Commonwealth, for that matter) - we switched to the metric system before I was born (circa 1966, I think), and I believe most, if not all, of the British Commonwealth countries use the Metric system as well.

Its only the good ol' (stubborn) US of A and 2 other countries still clinging to the Antiquated Imperial System of Measurement - and no matter what jshauber says, Antiquated is NOT always best :p

jshauber
February 3rd, 2016, 02:31
Its only the good ol' (stubborn) US of A and 2 other countries still clinging to the Antiquated Imperial System of Measurement - and no matter what jshauber says, Antiquated is NOT always best :p

Try telling that to the ignorant masses here...I would bet that a large portion of the math teachers that would be responsible for teaching the metric system don't even know it.

Having a system where things are all divisible by ten also makes WAY to much sense to implement ;P

mghauber
February 3rd, 2016, 02:40
Darnit! How many centimeters are there in a liter again? I can't keep metric straight....hahahaha

Blahness98
February 3rd, 2016, 02:42
Having a system where things are all divisible by ten also makes WAY to much sense to implement ;P

See, that's the problem.. it makes sense. Try a setup where it makes no sense and you will get people following you forever.

dulux-oz
February 3rd, 2016, 02:51
Darnit! How many centimeters are there in a liter again? I can't keep metric straight....hahahaha

Assuming you're talking cubic centimeters, than the answer is 1000 - 1 cm^3 = 1 mililetre (ml), and by definition 1000ml = 1l.

And I know you were joking, but that's the point: how easy the Metric System is - so let me ask you this (retorical question): how many inches (cubic, obviously) are there in a gallon (I know the answer BTW, but it aint a simple calculation)? :)

mghauber
February 3rd, 2016, 03:03
Imperial gallon, metric gallon, or redneck gallon?

PopinFRESH
February 3rd, 2016, 03:41

Why not have a system where things are all divisible by two?... :D

-PopinFRESH

dulux-oz
February 3rd, 2016, 04:55
Imperial gallon, metric gallon, or redneck gallon?

I rest my case, m'lud!

kane280484
February 3rd, 2016, 06:25
Trust me or not, I'm playing all kind of DnD for like 16 years now (oh my God I'm old) and I got used to imperial system so much, I sometimes use it instead of metric in everyday life. We were laying down some ethernet cables at work and a lad asked me
- Dude, how long cable you need there?
- Umm, about 15-20 feet I guess
He poped his head out of a hole in the floor he sat in and gave me that look 'Dude stop fooling around'.

I just play do much D&D that imperial units are first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to measuring height and distance.

dulux-oz
February 3rd, 2016, 07:15
Trust me or not, I'm playing all kind of DnD for like 16 years now (oh my God I'm old)

Come and bitch when you can claim you've been playing DnD for 34 years! (Damn whipper-snapper! Back in my day....) :p

and I got used to imperial system so much, I sometimes use it instead of metric in everyday life. We were laying down some ethernet cables at work and a lad asked me
- Dude, how long cable you need there?
- Umm, about 15-20 feet I guess
He poped his head out of a hole in the floor he sat in and gave me that look 'Dude stop fooling around'.

I just play do much D&D that imperial units are first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to measuring height and distance.

Quite frankly, anyone who works in IT should be a RPGer anyway, so it doesn't matter whether we work in Imperial or Metic - that's the sign that you're working with a pro! :)

Alduin Starborn
February 3rd, 2016, 09:33
Dude, don't blame the Commonwealth (of Australia - or even the British Commonwealth, for that matter) - we switched to the metric system before I was born (circa 1966, I think),

Didn't know that, I learned something then.

and I got used to imperial system so much, I sometimes use it instead of metric in everyday life.

You probably have always being playing with the US books then. I switched from italian translated ones no more than 4 years ago, furthermore i do not play much anymore (but I have been playing D&D for long too), so I do not get the chance to get accustomed to the imperial unit system.

I can't wait to see republicans and democrats fight over this during the US presidential election run :D

Nylanfs
February 3rd, 2016, 12:10
See the thing is that metric is the "official" measurement system of the US, but it's voluntary for everyone that isn't directly involved with the federal government. We're doing some weld fixturing for a government contractor, and the parts they want to produce are in metric, they want inch fixtures for the people on the floor and it's a damn pain in the ***.

dulux-oz
February 3rd, 2016, 13:01
See the thing is that metric is the "official" measurement system of the US, but it's voluntary...

Sorry for the quibble, but aren't you guys mandated by law to sell some of your things by Imperial measurement? Milk come to mind. That doesn't sound "offical" to me.

Just saying.

Nylanfs
February 3rd, 2016, 14:08
It's a complicated (and messed up) history. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units)

Here's a better explanation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States)

dulux-oz
February 3rd, 2016, 14:28
It's a complicated (and messed up) history. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units)

Here's a better explanation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States)

No, I realise - remember that essay I wrote on Coinage for RPGs (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25610-Coin-Size-amp-Mass-Results-amp-Recommendations-From-An-Investigation)? Well, that was part of the research I did - hence me having a "dig" in my last post. :p

Seriously, I sympathise with the situation - its just a massive PITA because a lot of stuff we buy down here come from there, and so we've got to convert back and forth as well, :(

Griogre
February 3rd, 2016, 15:25
First world problems...

And I can't believe we have young wippersnappers here who have been playing *less than* 35 years.... :D We should make them post their own old character sheets before they can come here. ;)

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/Sar.png

dulux-oz
February 4th, 2016, 01:16
And I can't believe we have young wippersnappers here who have been playing *less than* 35 years.... :D

OK, so someone claim they've been playing DnD for 43 years - go on I dare ya! :p

Nylanfs
February 4th, 2016, 02:21
Well this slightly odd bloke came through my town one year and had this weird blue box with him...

dulux-oz
February 4th, 2016, 02:57
Well this slightly odd bloke came through my town one year and had this weird blue box with him...

And he said he'd let you try what was inside for free, right? You know, get you hooked, then jack up the price...

Man, those TSR-pushers went everywhere, didn't they? :)

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2016, 04:13
Nobody mentioned slugs? Now that was always my favorite hated unit of measure. Though BTUs... those run a close second!

And I always hated those character sheets. I felt I had to draw my character up in the corner and I couldn't draw!

jshauber
February 4th, 2016, 14:12
Nobody mentioned slugs? Now that was always my favorite hated unit of measure. Though BTUs... those run a close second!!

And what kind of a unit of measure is Horsepower?

Phystus
February 4th, 2016, 14:42
Wow, you used official ones! My friends and I were poorer, so we wrote our characters out on regular notebook paper. In college we had access to computers and printers and so made our own pre-printed sheets. Of course it was AD&D by then...

Phystus
February 4th, 2016, 14:43
And what kind of a unit of measure is Horsepower?

I think it's the power output of a Clydesdale that drank a Potion of Bull's Strength and a Potion of Haste.

Griogre
February 4th, 2016, 20:04
And I always hated those character sheets. I felt I had to draw my character up in the corner and I couldn't draw!
I can't draw either so at best I would put a shield up there but I did have a couple of sheets with really horrible "drawings". :p

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2016, 20:13
We had a teacher in school who would make copies of the blank character sheets for us. I think she was the one that introduced the game to my older brother, though I'm not sure how he got 'exposed'.

Griogre
February 4th, 2016, 20:20
Wow, you used official ones! My friends and I were poorer, so we wrote our characters out on regular notebook paper. In college we had access to computers and printers and so made our own pre-printed sheets. Of course it was AD&D by then...

LOL, I had most of my characters on notepaper too, but I talked my Dad into copying off a bunch of character sheets for me from his work... :) That likely was an old copied character because I see that his class is "Fighting" (short for Fighting Man) instead of Fighter.

Craw
February 8th, 2016, 23:11
Nobody mentioned slugs? Now that was always my favorite hated unit of measure. Though BTUs... those run a close second!

Really?! C'mon, everyone knows btus! How else do they decide how much gas to order from the utility to heat X number of pounds of water by Y degree Fahrenheit? I used to sell natural gas which is sold by the "Therm" (a multiple of btu). Nobody in the industry knows what they are or cares. It is essentially arbitrary after the level of the production engineer. We just needed to know how many $$ per btu. Same with D&D. How many stones of weight can I carry before being affected? How many rods can I travel in one round? It is arbitrary. Don't the rules use tenths of pounds instead of ounces? So it's kind of a hybrid system anyway. Until you get to convert feet to miles, but that is a rarity.

You guys make me feel young. I've only been playing for 33 years.

mghauber
July 27th, 2016, 19:04
Assuming you're talking cubic centimeters, than the answer is 1000 - 1 cm^3 = 1 mililetre (ml), and by definition 1000ml = 1l.

And I know you were joking, but that's the point: how easy the Metric System is - so let me ask you this (retorical question): how many inches (cubic, obviously) are there in a gallon (I know the answer BTW, but it aint a simple calculation)? :)

I finished it!!!! The answer is 231! Man, that took a while (and I drank several redneck gallons o shine doing it!) Phew....I'm tired....