PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test Fails but verified port 1802 is open

Brognan
February 1st, 2016, 01:51
I'm back after a long hiatus with FG. Only played in the past as a client, but now I'm developing a campaign that I want to GM. I wonder if anyone will be able to connect with my game. I've used two different sources to verify that port 1802 is open and I've successfully connected on a second instance of FG on localhost. What should I do?

JohnD
February 1st, 2016, 02:06
OK this may be superfluous, but you have done a connection test and it reported a success, right? If so someone should be able to connect to you. What alias are you using?

damned
February 1st, 2016, 02:36
Hi Brognan PM me your alias and Ill try and connect...

ddavison
February 1st, 2016, 02:53
You probably opened the port on your local system. Now you need to "port forward" the port on your router to your local IP address. Log into your Internet Service Provider supplied router and add a port forward setting for port 1802. Direct it to your local computer by name (if that is an option) or by providing the router with your computer's local IP address.

Brognan
February 1st, 2016, 03:09
I did port forward on my router.

Brognan
February 1st, 2016, 03:11
No, JohnD , that's the point. Outside port checking services confirm that I have the port open, but the Fantasy Grounds connection test fails.

ddavison
February 1st, 2016, 03:14
It sounds like it isn't pointed to the proper IP within your local area network then. You can send a screenshot to [email protected] of your port forward settings screen and your FG Connection Test screen with your local IP address shown and we should be able to give you a second set of eyes on it.

Brognan
February 1st, 2016, 16:53
It sounds like it isn't pointed to the proper IP within your local area network then. You can send a screenshot to [email protected] of your port forward settings screen and your FG Connection Test screen with your local IP address shown and we should be able to give you a second set of eyes on it.

Aha! The problem turned out to be Vmware Network Connection that was enabled, with a different IP address than my private IP on my computer. Although I was pointing to the correct IP for my network card (192.168.0.5), the Vmware connection was confusing the router, I guess. Disabled it and it works fine. Thank God for ipconfig /all.

Thanks everyone.