PDA

View Full Version : Help with potential purchase of Adventure Pack

cdcross1213
January 31st, 2016, 19:44
My group and I are starting to run 5th edition games. I love the screen shots of the adventures that have made their way to FG and I am arguing with myself with making my first purchase of one said Adventure Packs. My real question is regards to the section labeled "requirements" and if I have already have these ruleset/mods/etc.

From the Store:
"Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack"

Is there a way that I can tell if I have these already installed?

and to go a little further...

I can not find these on the download pages to see about adding them. Am I missing the boat here?

I want to be able to add some great features to the game for my players, but I want to make sure to do it right the first time around.

Thanks for any and all help!

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2016, 20:20
Hi cdcross and welcome to FG and to the community.

The 5th edition ruelset is built into Fantasy Grounds so if you purchase a license you'll get that with the software. You also get (free of charge) the basic player rules for 5th edition as well as the basic DM rules and now also the SRD. This latter is basically a cut down version of all three major core books; the Player's Handbook, The Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual. There's more than enough material in there to get you up and running.

If you are thinking of purchasing a module then I would suggest you look at the Lost Mines of Phandelver as a sensible first purchase. This is a ready to run adventure and comes with everything you need to play including some pre generated characters. Running this adventure, which is designed as a kind of 5e tutorial, will give you a good idea of what FG is all about and once you have mastered how to run it and use the software you'll be set for greater things.

You can find lots of guidance material and videos on how to use the software here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information).

cdcross1213
January 31st, 2016, 20:42
I did find a few reference materials that helped me sort out what things were being called and how they fit into what I want to accomplish. Our group has been playing on FG for a few years and never really "bought in" to all of the bells and whistles that the system can really do. I wanted to potentially use this game as a way to show that group what the games could be like. I chose the above the Hoard of the Dragon Queen only because we have all, in one way or another, been exposed to Lost Mines at some point and we're not the greatest and holding back the urges of meta-gaming. We each already own version of the Core Rule Set (MM, DMG, PH) in some various media.

I'll list what I think it is and hope that there aren't too many corrections that need to be made. But, please, if you see corrections needed, just let me know:

Standard License (already purchased): $40
Hoard of the Dragon Queen: $20
- In order to run this:
....- 5e ruleset - $0 with Standard license purchase
....- one of the following:
.........- D&D Basic Rules - $0 with Standard license
.........- D&D Core Class pack - $50
.........- D&D Character Customization Pack $9

Does this look correct?

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2016, 21:24
Basically the answer is yes. If the DM purchases the Core Class pack (the PHB) then no-one else needs to buy anything since the DM can share the PHB with the players. If the PHB is purchased then the Character Customisation pack is not required since it is only useful if one or more of the character class packs are bought.

damned
January 31st, 2016, 21:51
Yes so your minimum additional spend is $20 for the Adventure.
I think you will find that the Core Classes (PHB) is a very worthy addition though.