PDA

View Full Version : 5E Compatible Ultimate NPCs: Skulduggery Kickstarter with FG Support

ddavison
January 31st, 2016, 07:01
This is a double-post from the PFRPG thread, since you'll be able to pick either the PFRPG or the 5E version upon checkout.

We just negotiated a deal to provide support and/or addons for the FG versions of the NPC books being produced by Nord Games. The resulting product should contain 200+ pages of NPCs that are leveled to 1, 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20. Each one will contain stat blocks, role playing cues, items and more.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nordgames/ultimate-npcs-skulduggery-for-5e-pathfinder-and-sa/description

Your $15 pledge will get you a copy of either the Pathfinder or 5E version of the module.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2016, 08:51
Nice work.

kane280484
January 31st, 2016, 09:29
Can I pledge 70$ to get hardcover AND pledge 15$ separately to get VTT set? Any1 knows perhaps? I never backed anything on Kickstarter.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2016, 10:43
Can I pledge 70$ to get hardcover AND pledge 15$ separately to get VTT set? Any1 knows perhaps? I never backed anything on Kickstarter.

I don't know; it isn't clear. The only previous kickstarter (that I've seen) had combined pedgy thing where you could pledge x and get a hard copy and the FG copy too. This one doesn't have that. Perhaps a query to their forums might give you an answer.

Apolala
January 31st, 2016, 10:44

According to the FAQ (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nordgames/ultimate-npcs-skulduggery-for-5e-pathfinder-and-sa/description#project_faq_159318) you just pledge 70$ + 15$ then your pledge credit will be at 85$ for the Backerkit survey (https://www.backerkit.com/features) where you'll finally indicate what products you are pledging to.

I have no experience with this either, just trying to figure this out on my own as I'm also in the process of pledging to this project :)

damned
January 31st, 2016, 11:04
I think NPC libraries are so very handy.

Justicesar
January 31st, 2016, 13:22
This looks super cool. This looks extremely well thought out and very shiny. I'll probably be getting a hard copy for real life games as well.....and just for casual reading/character ideas.

Question....purchasing the Fantasy Grounds kick starter, how will that work? Will I get a code from Nord Games to unlock in FG store? Or will my FG just pick it up on an update?

JohnD
January 31st, 2016, 15:51
Nice... lots of drag/drop NPCs for a game.

jshauber
January 31st, 2016, 20:46
Nicely done getting that added. I asked them about it a couple weeks ago when they announced that you could get it for d20Pro. Looks like I wasn't the only one or they were already talking to Smiteworks.

I added the FG to my current backing so looking forward to getting it. Need to get Primeval Thule first though <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>

ddavison
January 31st, 2016, 22:31
Primeval Thule 5E is very close. Just working with Zeph on a few more slight modifications and then we will kick it back to Phil (Venomous Filigree) to finish.

jshauber
February 1st, 2016, 02:51
Primeval Thule 5E is very close. Just working with Zeph on a few more slight modifications and then we will kick it back to Phil (Venomous Filigree) to finish.

Excellent!!!!

TMO
February 1st, 2016, 07:28
This would be my first Kickstarter to pledge toward. I can't see any way to make a pledge. Do I have to go through the Sign Up process to make a pledge or is that strictly for people wanting to create a Kickstarter project? This isn't made very clear.

damned
February 1st, 2016, 08:10
You must sign up to make a pledge. The signup process for creators is much more lengthy.

TMO
February 1st, 2016, 08:18
You must sign up to make a pledge. The signup process for creators is much more lengthy.

Thanks damned, but now I'm feeling both very stupid and frustrated. Signed up, went back to the project, and still no clear way to make a pledge. I thought this would be similar to a shopping cart but this does not appear to be the case.

Mask_of_winter
February 1st, 2016, 08:22
Double check it hasnt expired. Otherwise check out the pledge levels to the right and click on the one you want.

TMO
February 1st, 2016, 08:28
Double check it hasnt expired. Otherwise check out the pledge levels to the right and click on the one you want.

Only one pledge option (Baron) said it was "all gone". But now that I scrolled more than half-way down a very long page I do see this:

Funding period

Jan 1 2016 - Jan 31 2016 (30 days)

So...I'm guessing I signed up too late? Still, very disappointing that this could not have been easier to figure out.

damned
February 1st, 2016, 11:58
The never ending quest for the perfect UI goes on... and on... they used to have the countdown timer at the top of the page AND when it was over the final figures etc and saying it was finished...
https://web.archive.org/web/20150407203820/https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vortexgames/game-masters-campaign-the-fantasy-art-kit
Sometimes your UI change is good and sometimes its not!

Mask_of_winter
February 1st, 2016, 13:12
When Doug announced it on here there was less than 24 hours left I think. But they may opt to use backerkit and in that case you might be able to get the deal.

damned
February 1st, 2016, 13:22
It will almost definitely become available on the FG store in due course and the price will likely be similar....

kylania
February 1st, 2016, 15:12
How to pledge on Kickstarter in 45 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSHG1G_8O50

Sign up. Add payment details. Click desired reward. If the project is funded, pay and enjoy.

TMO
February 1st, 2016, 15:37
How to pledge on Kickstarter in 45 seconds:

Sign up. Add payment details. Click desired reward. If the project is funded, pay and enjoy.

When the project is still active then it appears that pledging is rather obvious. Those interactive UI elements are indeed a no-brainer.

I guess my main complaint is that it was not obvious (to me at least) that the project had expired. There might have been a notice clearly posted at the time or something similar.

I'm off this soapbox and happy to see that this will be available in the store in due time. Looking forward to it. :)

ddavison
February 1st, 2016, 15:44
Yes, we almost asked them to hold off and just do a post-Kickstarter deal. It was only up for 24 hours or less. Don't worry, though, it will be available for sale after the KS.

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2016, 04:54
Yea, I missed the KS as well, but if I remember, will buy it from the store when it shows up there. Hope it's close to the same price!

ffujita
February 8th, 2016, 21:45
Sorry -- redundant post, can't figure out how to delete.

TMO
February 8th, 2016, 21:46
So I stop reading the forums for 10 days, and ... I missed the kickstarter -- how would I go about getting these things now that it's closed?

Wait for FG to release this as a commercial product. If you skim above you'll see that it is forthcoming.

kylania
February 24th, 2016, 22:15
Backer Kit is up now, enjoy even if you missed the KS!

https://ultimate-npcs-skulduggery-for-5e-pathfinder-and-sa.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

FSHSchmo
February 25th, 2016, 00:01
Dang, did I miss my chance to get in on this... :( Doug are there plans to offer this for purchase in the FG Store for those that did not get in on the Kickstarter?

JohnD
February 25th, 2016, 00:06
Yeah he's said it will be available for purchase.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2016, 03:47
Dang, did I miss my chance to get in on this... :( Doug are there plans to offer this for purchase in the FG Store for those that did not get in on the Kickstarter?
Or click on the link kylania provided and then press the the "preorder" button/s etc..

JohnD
June 15th, 2016, 04:23
Any updates on the FG version of this?

ddavison
June 15th, 2016, 05:45
Working on it currently. We received the files and have begun the conversion. They need some data massaging since they are written up as character entries instead of NPC entries in the current form.

spite
June 15th, 2016, 19:22
Uh oh, does that mean they wont be able to come over as pre-built characters at the levels they did, but rather converted NPCs?

ddavison
June 15th, 2016, 19:57
With the product titled as Ultimate NPCs, my assumption was that they would be most useful as NPCs. Would you prefer that they were pre-generated characters instead?

Trenloe
June 15th, 2016, 20:00
Reading the blurb on the Kickstarter it suggests the characters are provided to be used both as NPCs and PCs:

How many times have you been put on the spot in the middle of a game and needed to generate one or more highly detailed and well thought out NPCs? How many times have you spent valuable time pre-game building a fantastic NPC from scratch, only to have the players pass by the tavern he or she was located? How many times have you been a player wanting to join a party but didn't have any good ideas on a character build? How many times have you been running a game and had a player want to join but just didn't know how to create a character and level them up to be comparable with the rest of the party?!

JohnD
June 15th, 2016, 20:14
I was under the understanding that these were NPCs. I probably wouldn't have been interested in it if they were simply prepared PCs.

ffujita
June 15th, 2016, 20:29
I don't suppose there is a tool for converting PCs to NPCs and vice versa.... I decided to wait out this out until I get results from my first kickstarter investment, the Tome of Beasts.

ddavison
June 15th, 2016, 20:30
They are only presented in PC format, but I asked James to convert them over to a valid NPC format that can be used with FG. The last blurb indicates that there is an intention to make them usable by players as well. I don't think that's a good native format for these within FG because then you won't be able to launch attacks and abilities from directly within the combat tracker and would have to instead open the PC record each time and then navigate to the actions tab.

Once we get the NPCs done, if people really want them as Pre-gens as well, I can ask James to investigate how difficult it will be to also include them in that format. Please sound off with your preference here so we have an idea of what people want and expect. It's a fair bit of extra work, so I wouldn't want to direct James to do that if nobody really wants it.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2016, 20:54
I don't suppose there is a tool for converting PCs to NPCs and vice versa....
Nope. But the GM can hide a PC record from the players and use it as an NPC.

ddavison
June 15th, 2016, 20:56
I don't suppose there is a tool for converting PCs to NPCs and vice versa.... I decided to wait out this out until I get results from my first kickstarter investment, the Tome of Beasts.

I am looking forward to both of these. James is doing the conversion work for Ultimate NPCs and I'm working on Tome of Beasts. There are a ton of monsters. They look great so far.

JohnD
June 15th, 2016, 22:17
They are only presented in PC format, but I asked James to convert them over to a valid NPC format that can be used with FG. The last blurb indicates that there is an intention to make them usable by players as well. I don't think that's a good native format for these within FG because then you won't be able to launch attacks and abilities from directly within the combat tracker and would have to instead open the PC record each time and then navigate to the actions tab.

Once we get the NPCs done, if people really want them as Pre-gens as well, I can ask James to investigate how difficult it will be to also include them in that format. Please sound off with your preference here so we have an idea of what people want and expect. It's a fair bit of extra work, so I wouldn't want to direct James to do that if nobody really wants it.
Well as stated previously, I'd assumed based on what was written that these were NPCs, so that would be my preference if there's only one option. My planned use would be to insert them into encounters and NPC lists just like anything in the MM or the 5e creatures release.

I suppose as Trenloe stated, if they came in PC format as well, they could be a boon to creation of detailed NPCs that join the group as well.

Seya
June 16th, 2016, 00:17
I want PCs and NPCs

jshauber
June 16th, 2016, 01:10
Would prefer them as NPCs. If players want to make a PC then I can work that out with them as needed. Can't see that it would be a huge demand for that many pre-generated PCs as most people like to make their own.

spite
June 16th, 2016, 04:35
If it's a toss up between the two, I lean toward the NPCs, but having PCs too would be ideal for drop in players, or regulars wanting to try something new as a challenge.

spite
June 16th, 2016, 04:36
I am looking forward to both of these. James is doing the conversion work for Ultimate NPCs and I'm working on Tome of Beasts. There are a ton of monsters. They look great so far.

Double post, but this makes me so happy. I've backed both of these kickstarters and am looking forward to expanding my list of monsters and NPCs to throw at my players!

epithet
June 16th, 2016, 18:45
While I did not back the kickstarter, if there was a module of combat tracker ready NPCs (with reasonably accurate CRs) up on the FG store I would definately buy it.

I would not be inclined to buy a module of pre-gen PCs.

NicholasDM
June 28th, 2016, 17:39
From Update #48:

... Print and Play card decks are going to be available soon, as well as d20pro and Fantasy Grounds files. Stay tuned for more into about those. ...

JohnD
July 6th, 2016, 22:16
From Update #48:

I got that update too... waiting for these! :)

rob2e
July 7th, 2016, 01:30
Jeopardy music!

JohnD
July 7th, 2016, 04:31
Jeopardy music!

Let's hope so. I'm holding off on my building.

JohnD
July 9th, 2016, 02:05
Jeopardy music!

And... hopefully you know something that I don't about availability.