PDA

View Full Version : (Solved) No save?

Lord Xtheth
January 31st, 2016, 05:14
Hello, I just picked up fantasy grounds (normal, as in not free) on steam. I started trying to write up a campaign on it.
I put in a bunch of work making a random cypher table (Numenera). But all the information was lost when I went to load it back up.
I started again, and even used /save and saw "Campaign saved" in my chat thingy, but still all my cyphers vanished, and no tables were there.
Am I doing something wrong? How can I write a thing, and have it actually save?

damned
January 31st, 2016, 05:22
Welcome Lord Xtheth.
You are not doing anything wrong. The permissions are not correct on your Fantasy Grounds Data folder.
Launch FG and on the first splash screen click on the Folder Icon top right of your FG screen.
Navigate back up one level so that you can see the Fantasy Grounds folder and check the permissions.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/permissions.gif

Lord Xtheth
January 31st, 2016, 05:47
Hello, thank you.
I actually only had the "Free" version. I had to "Update" it with my product key to get it to save. Thank you for the help anyhow, it helped me look in the right places.

damned
January 31st, 2016, 06:31
Hello, thank you.
I actually only had the "Free" version. I had to "Update" it with my product key to get it to save. Thank you for the help anyhow, it helped me look in the right places.

:) that will do it too!
Make sure in your options that you tick the box to Check Steam for DLC. And if you buy any DLC on the store here you need to put your username in the settings there too.

Lord Xtheth
February 2nd, 2016, 15:31
So I did that, plugged in some info, and it saved...

Then I rebooted my PC, as one does from time to time, and it all erased.
:(
I'm so tired of typing out these Cyphers. I need to find a PDF. I wish one came free with the book darnit.

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2016, 15:40
So I did that, plugged in some info, and it saved...

Then I rebooted my PC, as one does from time to time, and it all erased.
:(
I'm so tired of typing out these Cyphers. I need to find a PDF. I wish one came free with the book darnit.

That shouldn't be happening. Have you checked your permissions as damned notes above and also do you use any kind of cloud storage device to back up your files? If so disable that for your FG folders since that can cause things to get out of sync.

Oh, and also make doubly sure that everything has actually installed properly and that you have entered the correct key in your setting panel.

Lord Xtheth
February 3rd, 2016, 03:59
Ok, I did the thing. Now to see if it worked. if not I may have to find a black flag with a skull and crossbones for my online cypher packages. Arrrrrrr.

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 11:48
The other thing Lord Xtheth is dont enter more than a line or two in between testing your saves... dont go losing an hour every time it doesnt properly save.

Lord Xtheth
February 3rd, 2016, 13:15
I tested my saves last time. It was working until my PC rebooted

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 13:17
I tested my saves last time. It was working until my PC rebooted

So... reboot your pc again - after 2 lines of data entry and not 2000!
Im just saying if you are unsure if its doing its thing right or not dont spend all that time again until you know it works.
:)

Lord Xtheth
February 3rd, 2016, 13:22
New update: WITH the permissions changed, all files checked, AND rebooting my PC, my save didn't work. The campaign is still there but the ONE CYPHER I put in before I rebooted (AND IT SAVED when I turned off fantasy grounds and started it again, just not after my PC rebooted) And it's not there any more.

so, now the question remains, how do I save my work?

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 13:27
sent you a pm just now

Lord Xtheth
February 3rd, 2016, 14:29
New NEW update: Uninstalled Fantasy grounds, deleted all my local files, reinstalled it, checked all my permissions on the MAIN folder, and the CAMPAIGN folder inside it. Made ONE cypher, made sure my onedrive thing wasn't going to overwrite it, then saved my progress in fantasy grounds... and rebooted my computer, and that one Cypher was saved.

Here's hoping it does it again next time I try.

It could have been just a steam issue. If none of this works, my next step is to uninstall steams version all together, and see if FG can let me use the same code for a copy separated from steam.

Nylanfs
February 3rd, 2016, 17:08
Note, do NOT use onedrive or any other syncing software to backup your main data directory, manually copy it into a location that is backed up. There have been instances where the sync software was corrupting your database and data.

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2016, 17:20
What Nylanfs said.

If the data was there OK after you exited FG, but a reboot wiped it out, then it isn't file permissions that is the issue - i.e. the data is being saved OK. But it sounds like something is overwriting the saved files. This could well be caused by a cloud sync application. Do not use any cloud sync application (onedrive, dropbox, box, Google drive, etc.) on the FG app data directory.