PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheet for Encounter XP Threshold

MTS
January 30th, 2016, 22:38
Here is a spreadsheet that uses the DMG rules for determining Encounter XP Thresholds.

Instructions:

Enter the levels of the characters in the party. You can add their names if you want to (optional).
Enter the XP for each monster in the encounter.

The spreadsheet calculates everything and shows you whether the encounter will be easy, medium, hard, or deadly.

*Note: The spreadsheet will show an error if you have a blank PC Level entry followed by a non-blank entry. It calculates correctly if the PC Level entries are contiguous.

I created this using Microsoft Excel 2010. It should be compatible with other spreadsheet programs/readers.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2016, 10:52
Well done.

Here's a link (https://5escalesofwar.wordpress.com/) to another one that might give you some further inspiration.

JohnD
January 31st, 2016, 18:14

All kidding aside, this is good to have.

Griogre
January 31st, 2016, 20:23
You can an online one at this site here as well: https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/calc/enc_size.html

MTS
February 3rd, 2016, 18:29
That's a cool resource. I love tools like this. And I like that it shows how many monsters within a given CR can be used. One advantage of the spreadsheet is that you can combine monsters from multiple CR's and see the impact on the adjusted threshold rating.

PsychoPif
February 8th, 2016, 11:13
Doesn't seems to work for my party of 6 players.
The number of monsters and the difficulty is working, but I can have 1 or 6 players in my party and the multiplier doesn't scale at all.

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2016, 11:24
Doesn't seems to work for my party of 6 players.
The number of monsters and the difficulty is working, but I can have 1 or 6 players in my party and the multiplier doesn't scale at all.

Are you correctly inputting the player's level?

PsychoPif
February 9th, 2016, 01:07

Zacchaeus
February 9th, 2016, 10:39
EDIT: the number of players has no impact on the multiplier - see below.

Kontroar
February 9th, 2016, 13:52
Actually, based on the .png file, it is working correctly. The Encounter Multiplier will only adjust based on the number of creatures in the encounter. Three creatures in the encounter results in a multiplier of 2.

The number of players and their level has no impact on the encounter multiplier.

Zacchaeus
February 9th, 2016, 15:32
Actually, based on the .png file, it is working correctly. The Encounter Multiplier will only adjust based on the number of creatures in the encounter. Three creatures in the encounter results in a multiplier of 2.

The number of players and their level has no impact on the encounter multiplier.

You are correct of course.

rob2e
February 12th, 2016, 01:22
Here is a spreadsheet that uses the DMG rules for determining Encounter XP Thresholds.

Instructions:

Enter the levels of the characters in the party. You can add their names if you want to (optional).
Enter the XP for each monster in the encounter.

The spreadsheet calculates everything and shows you whether the encounter will be easy, medium, hard, or deadly.

*Note: The spreadsheet will show an error if you have a blank PC Level entry followed by a non-blank entry. It calculates correctly if the PC Level entries are contiguous.

I created this using Microsoft Excel 2010. It should be compatible with other spreadsheet programs/readers.

Nice job!
Signed Plaz Xee

JohnnyF
April 10th, 2016, 23:21
You are correct of course.

Hi:

I do see what PsychoPif is saying. On page 83 of the DMG, it does show that the multiplier goes up by one if you have less than 3 players and it goes down by one if you have 6 or more players. FYI

Great tool though. I use it on my group of 5 players but when it bumps to 6 I have to recalculate by hand.

Thanks,

JohnnyF