PDA

View Full Version : Pogs?

Ashekelor
January 30th, 2016, 15:56
Hope I have the right term! I am looking for tokens that have a base. I have seen these called pogs, so I am guessing that is the term? :confused:
If anyone has any, or knows where I could go to get some, I would appreciate the help. I already have plenty of alphabet ones, looking for figures now.

Thanks,
Ashekelor

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2016, 16:04
You'll find quite a few of what you are looking for in the store here or on Steam. Just do a search for Token Packs. There's many available either with or without a stand. I believe the term POG means without a stand by the way although I could be wrong. All the ones I have that are in POG files don't have a stand and the ones with stands seem to be called tokens.

Ashekelor
January 30th, 2016, 18:06
I did not get my subscription through Steam. When I purchase I probably will. Thanks for the info.

Hurske
January 30th, 2016, 18:26
Ash, if you look at my posts in this sub forum, I'm making tokens for anyone to use, although I release them a pack at a time for each individual... Individual.

Ashekelor
January 30th, 2016, 20:21
Really? That's pretty awesome and very nice of you! I'll go to your post then, and thank you.

Craw
February 6th, 2016, 16:25
POGs were small cardboard circles that originally came under bottlecaps for milk and juice. They had logos on them for the various drink companies or other promotions. Kids played a tiddlywinks style of game with them. In the 90s they saw a brief resurgence and were manufactured by the millions with anything and everything on them, including fantasy monsters and other art. I had a baseball card store in a mall when Magic hit the market and anything with that style of art on it started flying off the shelves. We sold tons of pogs. I took home any with decent art on them. (Ownership hath its privileges) They made perfect markers for D&D. Most of the POGs I see as tokens on FG are just referring to pictures cropped into a circle as opposed to tokens with irregular borders.

BTW, POG was for Pineapple Orange Guava. That was the kind of juice bottle they originally came on.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2016, 16:30
And if you didn't know, FG already comes with a bunch of pogs - animals, creatures and characters. Activate the relevant token module from the token bag -> modules section of FG.

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2016, 17:49
POGs were small cardboard circles that originally came under bottlecaps for milk and juice. They had logos on them for the various drink companies or other promotions. Kids played a tiddlywinks style of game with them. In the 90s they saw a brief resurgence and were manufactured by the millions with anything and everything on them, including fantasy monsters and other art. I had a baseball card store in a mall when Magic hit the market and anything with that style of art on it started flying off the shelves. We sold tons of pogs. I took home any with decent art on them. (Ownership hath its privileges) They made perfect markers for D&D. Most of the POGs I see as tokens on FG are just referring to pictures cropped into a circle as opposed to tokens with irregular borders.

BTW, POG was for Pineapple Orange Guava. That was the kind of juice bottle they originally came on.

How interesting! I could never find an explanation for what a POG was. Clearly such things never made it over here, or more likely they just passed me by :)

Craw
February 8th, 2016, 17:38
How interesting! I could never find an explanation for what a POG was. Clearly such things never made it over here, or more likely they just passed me by :)

Oddly, CNN.com just ran a featurette on POGs. https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/face-up-and-they-re-mine-the-making-of-pogs?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obnetwork

And I was wrong. It was Passion Fruit, not Pineapple...

Ashekelor
February 9th, 2016, 03:29
Thanks for the wonderful explanation! I do not recall ever hearing the word before I first opened Fantasy Grounds tokens and found the pogs there. Ever since I have been searching for more. I am making portrait style tokens using the token tool. However, if anyone knows of "pog style" tokens out there for free or purchase, give me a holler. Oh, I do have many of Harske's already. Very nice!

Ferrin
July 30th, 2016, 20:13

I was a 90s kid who had quite the PoG collection. AS well as couple nice Slammers, which are heavier metal pogs you use to slam into a stack. The object was to flip as many over. And in my schoolyard we played for keeps. It was a big thing actually...

Valarian
July 30th, 2016, 20:45
I was a 90s kid who had quite the PoG collection. AS well as couple nice Slammers, which are heavier metal pogs you use to slam into a stack. The object was to flip as many over. And in my schoolyard we played for keeps. It was a big thing actually...
I've got a tin of the Star Wars ones somewhere. They had little slices in the sides of the circular POG so that you could slot them together.

Valarian
July 30th, 2016, 20:48
Thanks for the wonderful explanation! I do not recall ever hearing the word before I first opened Fantasy Grounds tokens and found the pogs there. Ever since I have been searching for more. I am making portrait style tokens using the token tool. However, if anyone knows of "pog style" tokens out there for free or purchase, give me a holler. Oh, I do have many of Harske's already. Very nice!
TokenTool will turn pretty much any image in to a POG style token.
https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/

Ferrin
July 30th, 2016, 21:15
I've got a tin of the Star Wars ones somewhere. They had little slices in the sides of the circular POG so that you could slot them together.

Nice, I saw my old Apollo 13 promotional PoG Rocket in the attic the other day. It is a rocket that holds your PoG, came with thirteen of the movie themed ones and a big nickel silver plated slammer with a rocket on it.

Nowadays kids are trading pokemon on gameboys in the school yard, and they all have a computer in their pocket that blows 90s desktops right out of the water. Sometimes I feel like the last of the old ones, those that came before, such is the difference in technology immersion kids today enjoy.

My five year old asked me day before yesterday, why am I in first person. It took me a full minute to understand the question. Which boiled down to why is her thoughts looking out into the world, like a first person perspective game and not top down perspective. She asked why she her thoughts could not be separate from her body.

I explained the concept of "I think therefor I am" and that thoughts are produced in the brain. And she understood it. Which I have noted other kids born around and after 2010 are creepy smart. Has anyone else noticed this?