PDA

View Full Version : Herolab now has 5E

jshauber
January 30th, 2016, 04:17
So saw the email a little bit ago that HeroLab is going to be supporting 5e thru the SRD for now.

Any chance of getting a conversion program like the one from pathfinder to export and convert characters? I realize character creation is much easier in 5e than Pathfinder, but would still be nice to have.

For those that want to read more;
https://www.wolflair.com/blog/2016/01/29/hero-lab-launches-dd-5th-edition-srd/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=D%26D%205th%20Edition%20News%20Post&utm_campaign=hl-dd5ed

Looks like they are trying to get licensing for the full 5e some hopefully that happens at some point.

phloog
January 30th, 2016, 05:15
I bought it, wasting $20. I underestimated just how horribly limited the SRD is. Until their community creates all the backgrounds, cantrips, spells, etc. that they can't supply within the SRD, HeroLab may as well have not bothered. Very annoyed because honestly I prefer 3.5 and PF to 5e, but our DM has switched...I had actually abandoned FG for HL/D20Pro, but had to come back and buy the package for 5e in FG - - so whoever in FG Land made the deal to get them the exclusive license - shrewd move as you forced at least one customer to pay you more money. I don't mean to slam FG too much, but when printing requires special moves...

Nylanfs
January 30th, 2016, 12:33
PCGen maybe?

phloog
January 30th, 2016, 16:01
PCGen maybe?

Nope...you might have been the one who posted something similar in the other thread...PCGen is apparently SRD only, so it's absolutely no different than HL - - SRD unless you want to enter custom data. I know lots of people love PCGen and think it handles everything, and maybe someday it will handle 5E, but right now unless I want to create new characters with ONLY SRD material it won't work.

ddavison
January 30th, 2016, 17:09
We didn't negotiate an exclusive license. We are just the only company who has met the terms needed to secure a license.

crb31
January 30th, 2016, 18:58
We didn't negotiate an exclusive license. We are just the only company who has met the terms needed to secure a license.
I am thankful you did! Living in a small town and having other responsibilities makes it very hard to play- Fantasy Grounds makes it at the very least available.

kane280484
January 30th, 2016, 19:28
I bought it, wasting $20. I underestimated just how horribly limited the SRD is. Until their community creates all the backgrounds, cantrips, spells, etc. that they can't supply within the SRD, HeroLab may as well have not bothered.Agreed. Plus, it's bugged. I mean, my characters in chain mails and plate armors get Dex penalty to AC :/

kylania
January 30th, 2016, 21:34
Agreed. Plus, it's bugged. I mean, my characters in chain mails and plate armors get Dex penalty to AC :/

Report that: https://www.wolflair.com/support/report-5th-edition-bug/?project=5e

(it's already been reported, but telling them is much better than telling us)

Nylanfs
January 30th, 2016, 23:33
I'll point out that making the data is easier for PCGen than HL, at least in my experience.

LWDLiz
January 31st, 2016, 01:20
For anyone adding custom content, there are a number of places built into Hero Lab where you can add custom material. Create a cutom background? You can add your proficiencies and flesh it out without using the Editor. If you want to create content in the Editor, the data file authors (the guys that worked on getting the 5th Edition SRD material ready), but together some useful tutorials that can be found in the Help section.

jshauber
January 31st, 2016, 20:51
While I agree that the 5e version of HL is very limited due to the SRD, they are trying to get a license with WotC as they stated and if/when they do the base platform is done.

All they need to do is input the rest of the info and they are ready to go.

Nylanfs
February 1st, 2016, 01:29
For anyone adding custom content, there are a number of places built into Hero Lab where you can add custom material. Create a cutom background? You can add your proficiencies and flesh it out without using the Editor. If you want to create content in the Editor, the data file authors (the guys that worked on getting the 5th Edition SRD material ready), but together some useful tutorials that can be found in the Help section.

Hey Liz, welcome to the community! Looking forward to meeting up with you guys at Gen Con again.

phloog
February 1st, 2016, 03:01

I have all kinds of all kinds of admiration for HL's capabilities as they relate to flexibility and customization. But I don't have time to code my own 5E ruleset, and I'm also not a big fan of using a 'community built' version of something like this, in large part because while appreciate their charity, I can't trust the output and I have no recourse if it's wrong.

Hopefully you can get the same kind of deal that FG got and can provide a full official 5E license.