PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions

Shades228
January 29th, 2016, 23:15
Hello everyone. First off I have attempted to search these answers but perhaps I'm just using the wrong terminology so if the answers are already out there I appologize.

We have a group about to start using this platform tonight. So the questions I have are as follows:

Can I host a game but have another player DM it? I have a higher bandwidth than the DM so it would be better if I had everyone connect to me instead of him.

If I buy a PHB/Monster Manual can I share that to the others playing the game? I know as a DM you can but what about as a player? Also would I be able to have the DM access it if I left my game open so that he can work on the campaign through the week?

Nylanfs
January 29th, 2016, 23:25
The answer to all of that is no. Everything is dependant on the DM.

damned
January 29th, 2016, 23:30
Welcome Shades228.

1. No the GM is the host. The GM will be the one doing the bulk of the uploading and file sharing. On your very first session expect some significant delays while all the material downloads to each player computer. On the next session it will only need to update any changed data and will be much quicker. If the GM has limited bandwidth and you are using your own maps try to manage the size of those images - keep them under 1MB - under 512kb even. Dont share thigs that shouldnt be shared - eg dont share any DM resources like DMG, MM, Adventure Modules, this includes Free/SRD versions of those.

2. Only the GM can share resources. With the addition of the SRD material coupled with the Basic Rules you should be able to get along alright without the additional manuals - at least to start with. If later on the players really want more options you could all chip and buy for the GM for example or payers could just buy their own class.

Do ask any questions you have.