PDA

View Full Version : Princes of the Apocalypse Thoughts?

SilverBulletKY
January 29th, 2016, 20:12
Thinking about starting this one. What did you all think of it?

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2016, 21:05
Excellent.

SilverBulletKY
January 29th, 2016, 21:11
Is there any way to print of the story material in these modules? I always find it easier to read the printed material to prepare for a session rather than just looking at the text on the screen.

kylania
January 29th, 2016, 21:58
Is there any way to print of the story material in these modules?

Yes (https://www.amazon.com/Princes-Apocalypse-D-Accessory/dp/0786965789). :)

LordEntrails
January 30th, 2016, 03:56
I'm running it now. I like it, and it frustrates me greatly.

I like it because:
- Its relatively open
- Their is a great deal of setting-like material
- Its creative

It frustrates me because:
- Its disorganized
- Their are lots of little inconsistencies (maybe you won't notice them or they won't bother you, but they annoy me to no end)
- There are errors and missing things, you'll need to do a little research if you don't want to be suprised

Be aware:
- If the players are left to go any which way they want, they can get themselves killed
- You will need to adapt the material, depending upon the PC levels, where they begin, and the choices they make, you will need to adapt things
- Some of the encounter levels within an area, like the temple of howling hatred, are all over the place. There are a bunch of 1-2 level things, and then you run into CR11+ creatures. Easy for the players to get killed or outclassed.

GBE300
February 1st, 2016, 23:00
Its th inconsistencies in the story that really bother me... in one way it is nice if you want to and have the time to rewrite and add things to the story a bit. On the other hand compared to older adventures (2nd edition) it feels like it was poorly constructed with a few goals in mind and the rest fell to the way side.

For a new FG DM, definitely have a look at lost mines as it is a great adventure, very well written and though a bit linear its a solid place for ppl to start with FG. If you are experienced at creating content and have a bit of a handle on FG, PoTA is good if you add in some nice content.

Mush like all adventures, never fear adding in your own stuff around the main quest lines so you give your players more options. Just be sure you keep an eye on the pre-made content and their levels as you may want to adjust the content up some if your guys gain more experience off your added quest lines.

midas
February 3rd, 2016, 01:54
Yeah, I think they needed some proofreaders on that module for sure.